One jumping jack = 1 calorie burnt?

Options
I read that doing one jumping jack burns about 1 calorie per jack. This seems like a lot for just one jumping jack, but I've checked a few different sites and they all say that that is the amount for one jack. Is this correct? It seems too good to be true.

Replies

• jsteffen80
    Options
    Most people, working vigorously, can burn 10-12 calories per minute. I know I can do a heck of a lot more than 10 or 12 jumping jacks in a minute. Whatever you are reading is wrong.

I'm not trying to knock jumping jacks. I think they are fantastic.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Most people, working vigorously, can burn 10-12 calories per minute. I know I can do a heck of a lot more than 10 or 12 jumping jacks in a minute. Whatever you are reading is wrong.

More like 5-10 cals per minute. The higher end cannot be sustained, unless you're Lance Armstrong
  • seasonalvoodoo
    seasonalvoodoo Posts: 380 Member
    Options

More like 5-10 cals per minute. The higher end cannot be sustained, unless you're Lance Armstrong

Hmm, I usually burn 10 cals per minute while running (I wear a HRM--which appears to be accurate).
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    Okay, it depends. Do you do enough to raise your heart rate? Or do you do just one or two randomly here and there throughout the day to burn another 20 calories. If you raise your heart rate by doing a bunch at once than you will burn more per jumping jack, but actually having an exact figure that you will burn every jump is impossible. You need a heart rate monitor. Also, in a month after doing random jumping jack sessions you will burn less calories per jack as well.
  • IMYarnCraz33
    IMYarnCraz33 Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options

I beg to differ... if you weigh more or have more muscle, you burn more.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/metabolism/WT00006
    "Your body size and composition. The bodies of people who are larger or have more muscle burn more calories, even at rest."