How long did it take you to progress?

Options
Hi, I'm new to the site and this is actually my first post. Two weeks ago I bought a gym membership and a few days ago I started tracking on here. I'm at the highest weight I've ever been (around 240, still need to get a scale!) and it's been quite a few years since I last exercised. I'm a 28 year old female, btw. Anyways, the first workout I did, I was able to do 30 minutes of (slow) walking on the treadmill. Since then, I've only been able to do 20 minutes (one day I could only do 10!) before my left shin starts hurting so bad I can't do anymore. The one day I could only do 10 minutes on the treadmill, I decided to try the elliptical - and could only do 5 minutes!
All of this is very frustrating to me, as I feel like I should be able to do more than this. And, it makes me feel like my workouts aren't getting me anywhere, so why workout? My question to all of you is: has anyone else struggled with only being able to do a few minutes at a time? And if so, how long did it take until you were able to do more? I know it's going to take time for me to get in shape, I'm just feeling really down on myself about this.

Thanks!

Replies

• MattArcade
    MattArcade Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Yes we've all been there! Everyone of us had to start somewhere and I'm sure more people will tell you of their stories.
    Take small steps and enjoy it more that anything, nothing like going to the gym and hating it as you'll stop before you even begun.

Just do small exercises first like try jogging for 1 minute then see how fast you can run for 1 minute then back to jogging for 1 minute. Or try an app call couch to 5k. If you are tired after 2 minutes so be it but you made a start and you will get better each time you go.

Try some walking to start you off etc and make sure your gym instructors review you regularly to ensure you keep on track etc.

When I started I could only do 10 minutes on the elliptical now I can do 35 as I keep at it and go to the gym 5/6 times a week as I know how much I want to change myself.

Chin up its the start of something good for you! Everyone here is fantastic and they will push you,
  • tageekly
    tageekly Posts: 3,755 Member
    Options
    Oh my goodness yes! We have very similar stories about our starting places actually. I prefer the elliptical to the treadmill for most things and started with really low incline and no resistance and after 20 minutes of going pretty slow I was dying. I can now do 45 minutes at mid-incline and resistance at a fairly quick speed. You have to give your body time to adjust to the fact it's moving again! I've been active at the gym for about 4 months (I go 4-5 times a week for about an hour) and it's only been the last month probably that I've felt real results. It was actually after I started weight training that I really felt the change.

Try different machines, get started with some light weight training (you should be able to get help setting up a program from a coach at your gym). Be sure you stretch when you're done with your cool down. This is very important to preventing the soreness and injury. I found adding yoga a couple times a week has also really helped.

Don't get down on yourself - you've started and that's great! You're further today than you were two weeks ago and in two weeks you'll be even further if you stick with it. :happy:
  • jessicamckay13
    Options
    start slowly! your body needs to adjust and you have to start somewhere.

pick a cardio that you think you will enjoy, and start with 5-10 minutes. try to increase by a few minutes every week.

does your gym offer a first personal training workout for free? i bet a trainer would have some great suggestions for you after going over your health history.
  • jsteffen80
    Options
    Shin splints are a nightmare! When I joined my first gym they did a fitness evaluation type thing and made me walk a mile. My shins started hurting the first quarter mile, by 3/4 miles I was almost in tears. I limped the last couple laps so bad my lap time almost doubled as I was pulling myself along using the outside railing.

When I first started I would do sort of a light circuit training thing. Do a couple sets of one weight lifting exercise and then walk a lap or two. It took about 2 or 3 months before the pain went away enough to walk constantly for any length of time.

I found that the elliptical really helped me to overcome them also.

Keep at it, and the pain will go away eventually!
  • fromnebraska
    fromnebraska Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    From my personal experience, shin splints go away. Just keep it up and it will get better. Also, try not to take too large of strides--that causes shin splints for me. What condition are your shoes in? Old shoes may not have enough cushion in them anymore. Does your gym have a pool? Pool walking would help with shin splints.
  • Myrtlemama4
    Myrtlemama4 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Remember in every success story, there is always a Day 1, Day 2...etc..just keep it going!