Sauces Suggestions For Meals?

Options
Hey everyone

I need some sauce suggestions for my meals that are healthy. To be honest I need some ideas to use with wholewheat pasta, stir fries and maybe chicken breasts etc.
Just trying to make my meals a little more interesting than just plain with no sauce :(

Any suggestions very welcome!

P.S MERRY XMAS!

Replies

• UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    tomato based sauces will be lowest in calorie

If you want something that's east to calculate, look for premade sauces at the store so you can get an acurate calorie count. Serving sizes are usually 1/4 cup
  • BobbyClerici
    BobbyClerici Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone

I need some sauce suggestions for my meals that are healthy. To be honest I need some ideas to use with wholewheat pasta, stir fries and maybe chicken breasts etc.
    Just trying to make my meals a little more interesting than just plain with no sauce :(

Any suggestions very welcome!

P.S MERRY XMAS!
    I go with red Italian gravy made from paste, so I know what is going in. I use it on everything.
    Instead of loading it down with salt and sugar, I put in onions, peppers, garlic and some other random veggies like egg plant or squash.
  • jordanlell
    jordanlell Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Try experimenting with just olive oil and different kinds of spices and seasonings. The oil is a bit high in calories and fat, but it's the good kind of fat :) and you don't have to use very much at all in my experience.
  • rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    For spaghetti (squash) I use Classico Tomato & Basil, short ingredient list. : )
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    try skinnytaste.com. She has several that are excellent, especially the marinara.
  • _Peacebone_
    _Peacebone_ Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    For stir fry I like to use chicken stock as a base and add soy sauce, chili sauce, green onions, etc. Get creative and experiment to find different flavor combos.
  • MattArcade
    MattArcade Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Fab thanks everyone! Will have a try! My next post is going to be...now I need some meal ideas ha ha.

Thanks everyone you are all stars!
  • Cindy311
    Cindy311 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    One of my super quick go to meals is Chicken Pad Thai. Use PB2 in place of the peanut butter, and shiritaki noodles in place of whichever noodle you usually use. I just found a standard Pad Thai Recipe and replaced it with the healthier options. Also you can make a decent Cocktail sauce by using the low carb ketchup + sugar free orange marmalade + horseradish...mix to your own taste. There's lots of nice Spaghetti sauces out there that are 50-60 calories per serving. Again, find recipes that appeal to you and replace them with better options and before long you can have really nice meals that you know are a lot better than what you'd get at restaurants :0)
  • sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    Pesto also works well with other things - you can make a ridiculously creamy and amazing sauce with just a bit of pesto and some light cream cheese (portion control, but it's very rich so you don't need much) I put this combo on chicken, fish, pasta, rice, quinoa, everything!!
  • cfergy
    cfergy Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I like to puree roasted red peppers ( you can broil them yourself or buy a jar of prepared roasted red peppers and then toss them in the blender.) It has a different dimension than tomato sauce, which can get old really quick.
  • stephenatl09
    stephenatl09 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    How complicated do you want to get? I would stay away from store bought sauces. They are usually laden with sugars, sodium, etc. For Pasta I just use a can of Hunts Fire Roasted Diced tomatoes. I saute' peppers. onion, mushrooms, garlic and/or zuchinni in a little olive oil. put in a slpash or two of chicken stock then add the tomatoes. Simmer for a while to reduce. I buy the tomato paste in the tube and squeeze a little of that in there for some richness. It is really good. :smile:
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    The sodium tends to be high, but buffalo sauce is only 5cal per serving. Mix with a little cream cheese or ranch dressing and it's amazing on pasta with chicken.

I love Lawry's marinades (and the generic store brand versions). No, they're not the healthiest in the world (sometimes high in sodium. I don't track sugar so I'm not sure.), but they taste soooooo damn good, I don't care. If an extra 60 calories means the difference between really enjoying my dinner and feeling like I'm eating something bland and boring, that's a 60 calories well spent.
  • jwintonyk
    jwintonyk Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I made this last weekend and it was awesome:

Ingredients
    1 (3 pound) bone-in pork shoulder roast
    2 teaspoons minced garlic
    kosher salt and ground black pepper to taste

2 pomegranates with the seeds removed
    1/2 cup water
    2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
    2 tablespoons turbinado sugar
    1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Directions
    1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Season the pork roast with garlic, kosher salt and pepper. Place in a roasting pan.
    2. Bake the roast for 1hour in the preheated oven. While the roast is baking, combine the pomegranate seeds and water in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes, until the pomegranate seeds have broken down and released their juices. Press through a strainer to get as much juice as possible. You should have about 3/4 cup of juice.
    3. Pour the juice from the pomegranate into a saucepan and bring to a boil. Simmer over medium heat until reduced by half. Remove from the heat and mix in the balsamic vinegar, sugar and cinnamon.
    4. After the roast has been in the oven for 1 hour, start to baste it with the pomegranate sauce, using a brush to apply to the top and sides. Continue to roast the pork until the internal temperature has reached 180 degrees F (80 degrees C). Remove from the oven and allow to rest for 20 minutes before carving and serving.