MFP Vs WW

Options
Sweettart
Sweettart Posts: 1,331 Member
I was wondering what everyone's advice is or your past experience between couting calories with mfp or following the ww points plus program.

When I did ww I did lose 8lbs in a month but weighing my options on which to re-start jan 2.

Any advice for me

Replies

• audigal2008
    audigal2008 Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    MFP of course, you cant leave us! :)
  • Sweettart
    Options
    Oh I will be here regardless of what one I choose. I could never leave you! :)
  • fultimers
    fultimers Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    MFP is free!
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    MFP is free, which is awesome. MFP has awesome friends for support, which is awesome. And MFP recognizes that vegetables actually count, which is awesome. :-)
  • Sweettart
    Options
    I had paid for a 4 week program so I still have all the books so it would still be free.
  • AwesomeSauce4
    AwesomeSauce4 Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    I say MFP!!!!! It's All on it's own and something that will be free all the time.. So You don't want to rely on WW forever do you ????
    Of course not.. You can do this without WW.. I Believe in ya Chicky *muah* Love you ~Rachel~
  • nikicrin
    nikicrin Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    WW is too much messing around in my opinion, it works, i know... but i love the fact this site it so black and white... make the right choices and you will lose weight... these are habits for the rest of your life too

xxxx
  • sweetheart37
    Options
    i say stay with us but u can always follow the ww food guide if it helps u.. we never want to lose uu .....loves n huggggggggs
  • AwesomeSauce4
    AwesomeSauce4 Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    WW is too much messing around in my opinion, it works, i know... but i love the fact this site it so black and white... make the right choices and you will lose weight... these are habits for the rest of your life too

xxxx

AGREE!!!!!!!!
  • Saruman_w
    Saruman_w Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    MFP by far. It's free and all you need is a little bit of determination and you'll succeed.
  • wittersby
    Options
    MFP!! I was on the points plus program and actually GAINED weight because i would constantly snack on fruits and veggies since they were "free". It's nice to have accountability even on the healthy foods.
  • honor82
    Options
    Personally, I tried WW for 3 years and it didn't work for me. I think both programs are amazing and get you the results, if you are willing to commit. I chose MFP, because it's free, it has a cool scanner, it's all around easier to do than WW. Counting points became way too annoying. I have a perfectionist attitude, so one day when I blow my weekly points allowance and I see that negative number for the rest of the week, it would just make me give up. I'm sure you wouldn't have that same attitude, just giving you a little piece of what I went through for 3 years.

I say if it's free and you still have the books, do what you think will make you most successful.
  • Apazman
    Apazman Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    here is the dope:

1. WW has a 97 % failure rate. did you get that 97%. most gain it back after leaving the program.

2. it costs money. This is a business geared twards selling you stuff and keeping you with them.

3. Do you really need someone else to tell you what's healthy to eat and what's not? No. You know what's right.. you just aren't doing it.

4. Do you really need someone else to tell you when to work out? again, No

Lastly, Why do YOU want to do WW instead of doing it on your own? What is appealing about it to you?
  • BobbyClerici
    BobbyClerici Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I prefer a system that empowers me as opposed to making me dependent on some costly system.
    No thanks; I see zero value in it when no cost resources are readily available.

At the end of the day, my decisions will result in success - not WW, MFP or anything else.

All Is Possible!
  • aweightymatter
    Options
    I think WW is a pretty good program -- before sites like MFP existed in their current form, I used WW online to just track my maintenance intake and it was pretty cool.

Now with so many free tools, though, if you largely know how to make healthier food choices, why not stick with the free, feature-rich tool? The other downside is that with WW, you cannot adjust your macros at all, and the point system penalizes certain healthy foods that are higher in fats. I know the point system changed again recently so I cannot speak to its most current iteration, but I know in the recent past, foods like peanut butter would be far more costly in points per calorie than things like low-fat diet products.

For instance, by the old system (Points Plus), 1 TB of peanut butter (100 calories) would be like 3 points, but, surprise surprise, a WW-brand processed snack cake would only be worth 1 point, despite being about 80 calories.
  • ivansmomma
    Options
    I prefer a system that empowers me as opposed to making me dependent on some costly system.
    No thanks; I see zero value in it when no cost resources are readily available.

At the end of the day, my decisions will result in success - not WW, MFP or anything else.

All Is Possible!

I totally agree with you. I have done WW, and it is a good program, but I was so stressed by counting my points, that I didn't lose, and was obsessed with the points. I have been on other free websites and have come back to MFP. It is a great website, it has a lot of good information, it's free, and you meet encouraging and supportive people!
  • mamamia410
    Options
    I just left WW. I had some of the same issues as others. If I messed it up on Monday, I felt like quitting for a while. They are adding stuff like 'take a day off' and stuff to make it more flexible but it's so costly and so geared towards business rather than my success... So they refuse to automatically include lean cuisine, which is crap because people eat those. They made it hard for me to enter the foods I actually ate so that they could encourage me to buy a certain brand that was included. That was frustrating for me. And here, I've just started but it's more about me than about MFP. That's important because I am the important one in this, I am the one accountable for my success, rather than WW which is kind of all about them.
  • angiek941
    angiek941 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I think WW is a great program. It taught me to eat healthy and to think about what's going into my body. That being said, I'm less than 10 lbs away from my goal, and I am currently doing both MFP and WW at the same time to see how MFP stacks up. It's free, yes, but I've had a tremendous success on WW, and so it's a bit of a security blanket for me. As a PP said, I know how to eat and I know to work out. If WW worked that ways it's advertised, I should be able to move on to doing it on my own. I think I can do it, but I guess I just like to drag out a break up ;0)
  • jpburcham
    jpburcham Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I'm a lifetime WW member. I've gone through about six different WW "improvements". The newest Points Plus program was the hardest for me to make work. I love fruit, and when I'm told that fruit if "free" (doesn't count toward my daily points) I thought yeah! Like Wittersby, I also gained weight. But the real decision maker for me was "sustainability". Calculating the "points plus" points for me is just not possible in my head. It requires a "tool" other than my brain. MFP is simple, and I need simple for it to be sustainable for me. All said, I lost a lot of weight on WW, and gained all of it back (twice). It is a good program, but it is a "for profit business". Best of luck with whatever works for you.
  • emgs52
    emgs52 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I lost with ww until they changed to points plus and then i starting gaining, i find mvp much easier to follow by counting calories