No Appetite...HELP!

Options
For the past week or so I've hard hardly any appetite. I don't think I'd eat at all if I didn't force myself and when I do I get full almost right away.

I don't feel sick at all.

Well, I did have a bad stomachache the other day and...to put it politely...lost my lunch. I started feeling better later and ate again and right after my stomach started hurting really bad again.

I don't know if that's related or not...it was just the one day. Other than that, I've felt just fine.

It's very strange also because usually my problem is I never get full @_@

Any thoughts as to what's going on with me?

Replies

• liquidjem
    liquidjem Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I dunno, but something similar is happening with me. I have to say though that I am a bit depressed at the moment and had something on my mind...my appetite disappeared. Its been a couple of days and I have consumed very little...I don't know if this will cause me to gain weight back or what??
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Best to see your doctor-- depression can be signified by a loss of appetite but it could also be a lot of other things. How long has it been going on?

edited to add: if it's only been a few days I wouldn't worry. If it's been long enough that you're not getting your nutrients, then I'd see a doctor.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Honestly, you should see a doctor. I went in for some digestive issues a few weeks ago (you don't want to know, but if you're really curious you can message me...)

I explained my symptoms, and yes, throwing up was one of them. The doctor wanted to know if I lost my appetite, because unintentional weight loss is a huge problem.

My appetite wasn't terribly low, but I certainly didn't want to eat when I had the symptoms I was having. I was so hungry, but scared to eat much at a time.

It turns out my liver was making some sort of enzyme which indicates I had a virus. I feel better now, but I got some great tips from my doc about eating fiber, drinking water, and avoiding acidic foods.

If you don't have your appetite back within a day or two, see a doctor.
  • Wafflecatcassie
    Options
    Once again I had to force myself to eat today....made two eggs and two pieces of wheat toast and got full before I even started in on the second egg (and I only had half a piece of toast). I managed to finish the other egg and almost all the toast, but I was already so full that it just made me feel sick.

I didn't throw up again...yet. I feel like I have to though.

I want to exercise, but I have no energy.

What are some good foods to eat that I can eat in small quantities and still get my calories up? Keep in mind...I got full after one egg. ^^;
  • woou
    woou Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    On the days that I don't have an appetite, I put sesame oil on my veggies. :laugh: A fuyu persimmon (fruit) is ~118 cals. I'd look into some calorie dense fruits and nuts that you might like. Eat them as is or blend them up. Om nom nom nom.
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Liquid calories usually help me when I can't get myself to eat for whatever reason. I usually go for something like Carnation Instant Breakfast, Slimfast, or protein shakes (vanilla Muscle Milk is really good, even with water), it helps get some extra nutrition in too.
  • Wafflecatcassie
    Options
    Still don't have much of an appetite...'cept for this morning when I had a sudden powerful sugar craving.

*sigh* I was hoping to get some $ for Christmas to pay for a visit to the doctor...but for some unexplained reason everyone is sending me actual gifts this year ><
  • Wafflecatcassie
    Options
    oops. double post.
  • ewvmd
    ewvmd Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Any chance you're pregnant? That's exactly how I felt the first trimester...
  • lratliff
    lratliff Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    It might just pass. I had that same thing, neither hungry nor thirsty for a few weeks. I went to the doctor, did blood work and everything, and everything was normal. I'm feeling more normal now, so I guess it was just a weird fluke. I just wish I could schedule when I'm going to lose my appetite though, with everyone delivering treats all weekend for Christmas, this is a trickier time to be watching the calories!

Good luck! And the nutritious liquid calories is a great idea!
  • Wafflecatcassie
    Options
    Any chance you're pregnant? That's exactly how I felt the first trimester...

Unless it's a miracle, then no.