snowboarding/skiing

Options
Just wondering about how you should properly log this. I didn't go for too long today, plus we were on the chair lift for part of the time-and even so, I don't feel like I am burning as many calories as say, when I run. I still don't have a hrm, so that isn't an option. Thoughts? Thanks!

Replies

• mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    A couple of years ago, I wore my HRM for a day of skiing. We skied for 6.5 hours. I paused my HRM during our lunch break. I burned approx 1200 calories. I took off 400 for normal BMR burn, and took the rest as activity. I hope this helps.
  • maryloo2011
    Options
    I ski. I haven't worn my HRM during the runs so the few times I've gone this season, I ONLY count the time I spend going down the hill on a run. Not on the ski lift/in line/waiting for people.

Hope this helps... all I can offer is to wear an HRM and only run your watch when you're actually doing the activity.
  • maryloo2011
    Options
    Re-reading your post; invest in an HRM if you can. If you own ski equipment and can afford a season pass/ticket surely you can spend at least sixty bucks for one..?

And no, you definitely won't burn the same amount of calories in the same time skiing as you would running.