NEED MOTIVATION BAD, FEEL LIKE GIVING UP

Options
So I started MFP in january, i thought i was on the right track, i invested in a food scale and started to
count cals. In the beginning i lost 3lbs and was excited (im 5'0", 144.5lbs as of today). I wanted to lose atleast 10lbs. I know you cant lose where you want but my main issue is my stomach i'm very sub
concous of it (1 have 4 kids, 31yrs old), anywhoo, this morning after weighing myself and seeing
im not losing anything not even inches i felt like just giving everything up, no more counting cals or anything. I was thinking of a tummy tuck but i know i cant afford that, so now I find myself starting
to be depressed all over again. Any advice would really be greatful.

Replies

• Super_mom
    Options
    So I started MFP in january, i thought i was on the right track, i invested in a food scale and started to
    count cals. In the beginning i lost 3lbs and was excited (im 5'0", 144.5lbs as of today). I wanted to lose atleast 10lbs. I know you cant lose where you want but my main issue is my stomach i'm very sub
    concous of it (1 have 4 kids, 31yrs old), anywhoo, this morning after weighing myself and seeing
    im not losing anything not even inches i felt like just giving everything up, no more counting cals or anything. I was thinking of a tummy tuck but i know i cant afford that, so now I find myself starting
    to be depressed all over again. Any advice would really be greatful.
  • Bug263
    Bug263 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    first off don't give up, you will feel worse if you do!! keep at it, what are you doing as far as exercise goes?how many times per week? are you eating your burn calories? if you are looking to loose a smaller amount of weight like 10lbs. it's probably hard because that's the most difficult for a lot of people "the last 10 lbs." the reason why is because your body feels comfortable there it stores an extra 5-10 lbs. incase of "emergency" based on survival. living in modern times now of course, you really don't have to worry about starving so, maybe increase your calorie burn on the days you work out for me it's hard to eat all of those burn cals but it's worth it. give it a try for a week and see if it helps.
  • MissNova
    MissNova Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    :noway: Take A Deep Breath!!!

Calm down! I started in Jan 23, 2009 and as of yesterday I had lost only 3 lbs as well. Don't give up or get discouraged just keep on pushing and it will happen. I felt the same way last week and I kept going and not being negative and it paid off because I lost 2lbs. No tummy tucks. Just do it the natural way. Plus it is only 10lbs I am trying to lose 90lbs so I am sure if I can still keep my mind at ease you can as well. Trust me if will happen! :heart:
  • findingtina
    findingtina Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Don't give up! Keep going, make some adjustments. I was working really hard for about 8 weeks and was either up 2 or down 2 the entire time. I see a dietician because I am very large and need her to guide me. The one thing we did was increase my fiber intake and decreased my carbs slightly. this worked like a magic pill. You body will fight to hold on to what it is happy with and fat makes it happy so hang in there, they say those last 10 are the hardest~ I can hardly wait to get there :drinker: good luck
  • jenbar
    jenbar Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    20 Views and NOONE is supporting/helping SuperMom:explode: ?!!! (besides Bug263)
    Are you all so into your silly chat/fun threads:angry: that you have forgotten why you're all here:grumble: ???

Anyway:ohwell: ,
    Are you exercising?? You didn't mention that. In order to lose the belly fat, you need to do cardio, cardio, cardio. The tummy is the first place the weight goes to and the last place it will go from.
    keep going, make sure you DRINK WATER!! Keep counting your calories and if you do exercise, eat those calories too.
    and with 4 kids, if you're an unlucky one like me.... your belly will never be like it was! I too, will need a tummy tuck, but can't afford it. Don't worry, or rush it.
    It takes time. It didn't take you 2 months to put the weight on, don't expect it to come off that quickly!
    Good luck, take it one day at a time, don't give up!
    Jennifer

EDITING!
    obviously a couple more people chimed in while I was typing, so above does not pertain to you!!:blushing:
  • kaylou
    kaylou Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Don't give up!!!!
    You have to look at the positives..you are down 3 lbs. At that pace you will be 12lbs lighter in 6 months, around 24lbs lighter in one year from now.
    It takes us more than 1 month to put on the weight.....it will take time!
    I look at it this way....a loss is a loss....you didn't gain 3lbs!
    I am 5'3 and started at 146. We are smaller, it takes us longer....I only average 1/2 lbs loss each week. That is only 2 lbs a month...so it sounds like you are on the same path.
  • Bug263
    Options
    20 Views and NOONE is supporting/helping SuperMom:explode: ?!!! (besides Bug263)
    Are you all so into your silly chat/fun threads:angry: that you have forgotten why you're all here:grumble: ???

Anyway:ohwell: ,
    Are you exercising?? You didn't mention that. In order to lose the belly fat, you need to do cardio, cardio, cardio. The tummy is the first place the weight goes to and the last place it will go from.
    keep going, make sure you DRINK WATER!! Keep counting your calories and if you do exercise, eat those calories too.
    and with 4 kids, if you're an unlucky one like me.... your belly will never be like it was! I too, will need a tummy tuck, but can't afford it. Don't worry, or rush it.
    It takes time. It didn't take you 2 months to put the weight on, don't expect it to come off that quickly!
    Good luck, take it one day at a time, don't give up!
    Jennifer
    hey thanx for the props! kudos! yeah cardio is awesome for the stomach especially jogging or running it's the fastest way to get rid of the "belly" sorry i didn't put that in before:tongue: also core strengthening exercises work too just not as fast!

EDITING!
    obviously a couple more people chimed in while I was typing, so above does not pertain to you!!:blushing:
  • VballLeash
    VballLeash Posts: 2,456 Member
    Options
    One more time, DON'T GIVE UP :happy: .... It's tuff to lose the belly fat so what you should be doing is cardio cardio and more cardio. Cardio helps to get rid of fat, not to say that you shouldn't be doing weight training as well but cardio is the only thing thats going to help, you unfortunately will probably lose weight in your legs first but eventually it will come off where you want. Make sure your eating clean, that will help too GOOD LUCK, seriously you can do it!

~Leash
  • Bug263
    Options
    don't know what happened in that qoute , here's what i wrote(poet:laugh: ) thanx for the props!! kudos! cardio is really awesome and the fastest way to get rid of the "belly" is jogging or running. also doing core strenghtening helps too, like planks and stuff!
  • Samanimal83
    Samanimal83 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I know the frustration that your feeling... i go through those feelings too from time to time. It will pass, and the pride that you'll feel from working hard will return. Stick with it. Soon, your clothes will start to feel better and you'll notice results.

I've had two kids myself and know what the "mom-tum" can do to one's self esteem... just remember... hardly no moms are able to get back EXACTLY to what they were before they had kids. i try to look at my stomach as a reminder of all that I went through to have my kids. I know I wouldn't give them back for a second, Mom-tum and all. I'm sure you feel the exact same way.

So- keep at it. You'll feel better tomorrow. Try to get out for a walk... that will make you feel better and more positive as well. Go buy yourself something awesome in 1 size too small so that you have a goal piece of clothing to fit into.... i like doing that. =) Things will improve if you stick to the plan... I promise!:smile:
  • jvandertuin
    Options
    DON'T GIVE UP! Remember, that the body will adjust to your "new" way of life. Losing weight is hardwork and you are fighting your body's desire to hold on to the fat stores so the next time you starve (think prehistoric times) you will have fat stores to survive. Your plateau could be due to a few things

1) You aren't eating enough! If you don't eat enough, your body holds onto everything it can, essentially you are starving yourself. Make sure you get the recommended daily caloric intake.

2) Fat food turns to fat. If you eat high fatty food, the body will store it and burn it later. Carbs and protein are utilized much quicker

3) Hormones. Women often plateau prior to their menstrual period (remember bloating)!

Expect the plateaus and know that you need to wait until next week (hormonal issues) or readjust your eating. Losing weight is a gradual process, be ready for the ups, downs and plateaus!

You can do it!
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    Don't give up just change what you are doing - if you are trying to lose 2 pounds a week and you're set at 1200 calories your body is probably storing what your eating in fear that you aren't feeding it enough. Lots of people including me on here have increased calories to lose weight. If you're exercising - change the routine. Maybe adding cardio if you've only been doing strength or add in some strength and weight training if you're only doing cardio. All of it works differently for all of us but there's a lot of similiarity to changing things up. Also - are you drinking water? Make sure you have variety to what you're eating.

Just some quick thoughts...if you want to share what you've been doing you may get more posts with what's worked for others that have tried what you are doing.
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    There are days when I feel like giving up. Like this morning when the scale went up a half pound even though I exercised a whole bunch yesterday and stayed well within my calories. How is that fair??

But I look at this and say I have been doing this for almost 8 weeks and I am down 17 lbs. The key is being down the weight!

If you give up now, you sentence yourself to a life of being overweight. Why would you do that to yourself? Personally, I have had it with being overweight and the change can only come from within.

Chin Up! It will be better soon!
  • 4girlsmom
    Options
    Hello Super Mom!
    I know how you feel! I, too, have 4 kids. I just had my last one 8 weeks ago. I began weight training 2x a week and cardio 6 x a week for an hour til I am dripping with sweat. I have done this for 2 weeks as well as watch very closely what I am eating/calories, etc. Guess what ...haven't lost a pound yet! Something that keeps me going is that all the exercise and good food (veggies, fruit and whole grains) I am eating is still good for my body. The exercise and good eating habits is great for my heart aiding in preventing heart disease, cancer, etc. The most important thing in life is to be a good mom and to be around for your kids. Keep exercising and eating healthy and no even if your discouraged about not losing weight ....yet (you will) you are doing your body good. Remember...baby steps and one day at a time! Keep your chin up-today is the first day of the rest of your life.
  • happyhubbard
    Options
    I am 5'2" and started at 132 and am still at 132 as of today (one month since joining MFP). I am also very discouraged at the fact that the scale hasn't moved, BUT I have noticed that I am starting to get toned all over. I have been exercising 5-6 times per week for 45-60 minutes each time. I do feel that my body is tightening up a bit- so I have that small piece of hope that the weight loss is still to come. Giving up can't be a choice for me because, to me, its saying, "OK, I'm just going to be fat...and keep getting fatter." No can do! I wanna be sexy again! I can do this!!! You can do this!!! WE can do this!!!:drinker:
  • Super_mom
    Options
    thanks everyone for your words of wisdom, and yes i do excercise, i go to the gym everyday for 1 hour (elliptical) and sometimes treadmill, on the weekends i do the 30day shred dvd, i just bought BL-cardio max so i am exercising. I know for sure that mostly i dont eat all of exercise calories, most times im really not that hungry and that may be from not eating in the beginning before i started MFP, i would always skip meals so the extra calories seems like alot to me, i have thought about just eating 1200 cals and thats it for the day even when i exercise but dont think i should do that, I also think that maybe i should cut back on protein as i always go over on that and replace with more veggies and fruit. Ive recently challenged myself to drink 8-8oz glasses for water and i accomplished that for 2 days its really tough but if i really want this i have to keep going. thanks again for everyone advice.
  • emtink
    emtink Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    hi supermom,

3 pounds in a month is great! so don't give up yet!

try eating your exercise calories (all of them) for a few weeks and see what happens. everyone is different so sometimes it takes some tweaking to figure out what works for you.

DO NOT only eat 1200 calories! its not a healthy way to lose weight and you want to keep it off right?

from what i understand, the drinking 8 glasses of water a day is a myth. it might help you lose weight because you're not hungry but it doesn't sound like that's your problem. maybe try drinking some fruit juice instead, you'll get calories and nutrition!

best of luck to you and keep us posted,
    emily:flowerforyou:
  • coliechacer
    Options
    Hey i joined like jan 20th and i have barley lost anything to i feel like giving up all the time and i cry cause the weight should be flying off but its not so i know how you feel. Its like the only way i ever lose weight is if i just dont eat witch i know is wrong and i am starving all day when i do that. Just dont give up cause i am not unless next month comes around and i havnt lost anything ether i wish i was 144 cause i am 5'1 and i am 166 and after having my son my stomach is disgusting and my boobs arnt the same sorry if tmi. But i know how you feel good luck and dont give up.

135753.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary
  • marisol7649
    marisol7649 Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    don't give up. just because the scale is not moving down does that mean this is not working out. Why don't you measure your success with how do you feel. Do you have more energy?
    MFP is for losing weight but this is a lifestyle we are choosing to live healthier and when we do this we will eventually ( I am there too) will lose weight.

I only lost 3 lbs but I feel good, and I exercise everyday, I have more energy, I am also cooking quality food for myself and family so it is a win/win situation.

Focus on your healthy benefits and the rest will come off like" butter'":flowerforyou:
  • marisol7649
    marisol7649 Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Hey i joined like jan 20th and i have barley lost anything to i feel like giving up all the time and i cry cause the weight should be flying off but its not so i know how you feel. Its like the only way i ever lose weight is if i just dont eat witch i know is wrong and i am starving all day when i do that. Just dont give up cause i am not unless next month comes around and i havnt lost anything ether i wish i was 144 cause i am 5'1 and i am 166 and after having my son my stomach is disgusting and my boobs arnt the same sorry if tmi. But i know how you feel good luck and dont give up.

135753.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary

I have the same problem with my belly, but my husband told how could you expect your stomach to be flat again you had a life inside you and he also said that was my beauty marks, what makes me a women.