I NEED HELP MY HUSBAND IS A FAST FOOD MANAGER!!!!! and i don

Options

Replies

• kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    My husband is a fast food manager so we have basically access to free burgers and fries non stop.
    I am a very young mom of 4 kids under 9 years old.
    my mom never tought me to cook at all unless it was cooked in the microwave or was simple on the stove like ramen soup. so i have no knowledge about food much at all. dont know what has carbs or protiens or starch or what is good or what is bad. just know wheat is good and white is bad when it comes to pasta and bread. and to obviously need to eat veggies and fruits.
    im more of a fruit person
    i only eat can corn and green beans. i lOVE potatoes (not the sweet potatoes) other than that i just started eating broccoli but i see other veggies and want to gag. carots and peas look so nasty and i tried them today and didnt like them in the steam fresh veggie mix. caluiflower asparigus squash all just look horrible. i just about only know how to cook from cans and boxes.
    i can make chicken that was coated in salsa i just found that recipe.
    we dont eat onions, mushrooms, alvacados, peppers, olives any of that kind of stuff.
    we dont eat fish either other than tuna sandwiches.

we eat lots of ground beef and chicken

and LOTS of pasta.

i just dont know how to cook and my kids now wont try new things either.

please help me with some recipes that are really good for us that we can adjust to. people say start eating guacamole with pita chips and other stuff that has not one thing we are used to so the taste just totally turns us off. right now im stuck with lean cusine meals and dont know what else to eat other than sandwiches.

Cooking is not rocket science. There are many books available to you that can explain the basic mechanics of the kitchen and how to use a stove. In fact, a microwave is not even necessary to cook anything. If you want to make healthy meals for your family then maybe it will take a little more effort then eating burgers and trying different foods.

It might be a good idea to start introducing different vegetables and fruits to your children. From what you described, burgers and fries is not at all healthy and will probably be the sole cause of obesity in their near futures.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I can understand if you don't appreciate the taste of something, but you have every right as a parent to force feed your children whatever you want to feed them. For your children's sake, I'd suggest a healthy, balanced diet.

Break the trend that you've been a part of.
    -wtk
    No, you don't have the right to force feed anyone.
  • ket_the_jet
    ket_the_jet Posts: 1,257 Member
    Options
    No, you don't have the right to force feed anyone.
    Perhaps we have a nomenclature misunderstanding, but even in this advanced year of 2011, the role of a parent is to produce a productive member of society. Just because you cannot spank a misbehaving child in public does not mean that it is not a parental duty to discipline a child.

I did not mean to imply that you should shovel vegetables down your children's throats; however, making a child sit at the table* until he or she finishes the fundamental parts of a meal is not at all out of line.
    -wtk

* Or however you choose to deal with that as a parent. I don't give a damn.
  • eellis2000
    eellis2000 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    My husband is a fast food manager so we have basically access to free burgers and fries non stop.
    I am a very young mom of 4 kids under 9 years old.
    my mom never tought me to cook at all unless it was cooked in the microwave or was simple on the stove like ramen soup. so i have no knowledge about food much at all. dont know what has carbs or protiens or starch or what is good or what is bad. just know wheat is good and white is bad when it comes to pasta and bread. and to obviously need to eat veggies and fruits.
    im more of a fruit person
    i only eat can corn and green beans. i lOVE potatoes (not the sweet potatoes) other than that i just started eating broccoli but i see other veggies and want to gag. carots and peas look so nasty and i tried them today and didnt like them in the steam fresh veggie mix. caluiflower asparigus squash all just look horrible. i just about only know how to cook from cans and boxes.
    i can make chicken that was coated in salsa i just found that recipe.
    we dont eat onions, mushrooms, alvacados, peppers, olives any of that kind of stuff.
    we dont eat fish either other than tuna sandwiches.

we eat lots of ground beef and chicken

and LOTS of pasta.

i just dont know how to cook and my kids now wont try new things either.

please help me with some recipes that are really good for us that we can adjust to. people say start eating guacamole with pita chips and other stuff that has not one thing we are used to so the taste just totally turns us off. right now im stuck with lean cusine meals and dont know what else to eat other than sandwiches.

I like you don't like veggies, but after trying them with boiled rice and chicken or hamburger with a little soy sauce (semi diced and steamed or stirfried till soft) they're not that bad. Invest in soy sauce; alot of people would tell you its bad because of sodium but it doesn't take much to season some veggies so that you can eat them. also gravies or soups mask the taste of veggies if they're small enough.
  • Play_outside
    Play_outside Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    If you google up "easy healthy recipes" there are sure to be a bunch of them out there-I'm not going to make specific suggestions there because I have dietary restrictions and you are just branching out and trying to eat healthy so I'm not going to add to the challenge of that.

I applaud you for realizing that you need to make changes! :) Way to go! You may want to start with having a discussion about it with your husband-talk to him about how you want to be healthier and in better shape, learn to make good food decisions, and teach these valuable life skills to your children.

As for getting more veggies and fruits-you could start by chopping lots of veggies really small and cooking them in tomato sauce for spaghetti (you said you eat lots of pasta). To take this one step further, to begin with you could even puree them in your blender so that they are not visible or recognizable in the sauce.

Homemade spaghetti sauce is SUPER easy to make and it's really delicious and healthy. Do you have a slow-cooker? If not, I would recommend investing in one (get a bigger one since you have a bigger family). It is so easy to just chop stuff, brown meat, and pop it in and let it cook.

Homemade spaghetti sauce (you can basically add as much or as little of everything as you like-mine varies depending what I have on hand, and I usually don't buy meat)

1lb extra lean ground beef
    1 medium onion
    a few cloves of garlic
    coloured peppers (red, yellow, orange, green)
    celery (3-5 stalks)
    tomatoes (roma tomatoes are more "meaty" and less juicy)
    1 can of pure tomato paste
    1 can of no salt diced tomatoes (if desired, I usually like to use all fresh ones)
    salt, pepper, oregano, basil, thyme, and a couple of bay leaves

Put the ground beef into a pan and fry on a medium-low setting (do not add oil to the pan, beef has enough oil on its own). Dice onions and garlic and add to the pan. Cook until beef is browned and onions start to soften. While this is browning, you can dice the rest of the veggies and add them to either your slow cooker or a big pot. When beef/onions are done, add this to the slow cooker or pot. Add the tomato paste (and canned tomatoes if using) and spices. Add the spices to taste-you may want to start with very small amounts if you are not adventurous eaters (these spices are not crazy at all, just saying that sometimes taking it easy to begin with helps).

Cook until the veggies are a texture you like (I like mine a bit crispy still). Serve over whole wheat pasta with a bit of parmesan if you like.

As far as getting the kids to try new things, in public health we teach parents that they control what their children eat, but the children control how much of it they eat or whether they choose to eat at all. Your children will eat if they are hungry-even if it means to get hungry they choose not to eat a few meals. There is also the "number of bites according to age" thing. If you have a 3yr old, the 3yr old has to take 3 bites of the food, and has to have had 3 bites each on 3 separate occasions to officially "not like" the food.

Remember that changing habits requires time and practice and repetition. It's not going to happen overnight.

Good luck!
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Perhaps we have a nomenclature misunderstanding
    "Force feeding" is widely understood to mean shoving food into a person's mouth. If that's not what you mean, then use a term that conveys your intent.

There is plenty of room to debate your wider point, anyway, but I really don't care enough.
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    Perhaps we have a nomenclature misunderstanding
    "Force feeding" is widely understood to mean shoving food into a person's mouth. If that's not what you mean, then use a term that conveys your intent.

There is plenty of room to debate your wider point, anyway, but I really don't care enough.

You don't care enough but yet you responded? Yeah, keep lying to yourself.

See you in 10, 9, 8, 7...
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    A couple ideas..
    replace your pastas and breads with whole grains
    replace ground hamburger with ground turkey
    replace cans of veggies with frozen veggies..or fresh veggies and steam them..

THIS! I lost 40 pounds in 6 months doing this. I also replace MT Dew with water :)
  • starross87
    Options
    lean, grilled chicken with sauteed veggies (like mushrooms, zucchini, and onions) is always a healthy, delicious meal that you can never go wrong with! You can add a little bit of rice/starch on the side if you really want to, but it's best to just cut that out sometimes if it's not necessary...lean meat and veggies are a guaranteed weight loss meal.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Krista.. give Austin Healthy Cooking a call.
    http://austinhealthycooking.com/

ChefRoy@Clear.net

They offer both free and small fee classes for cooking...

You can also take a look at some Youtube.com videos for free tidbits about cooking... Thats entirely free.

Also - make sure your children dont 'learn' from your childhood eating habits. They (including you) need to learn to eat healthy foods... that includes things like broccoli, fish varieties, and such.

Your husband should also make sure he is being a role model in this as well. He may work at a fast-food joint, but it is also his responsibility with you, to eat healthy, advocate healthy eating and reinforce healthy eating at home too....

I work as a Chef for a living and Im surrounded by healthy food all the time.... I wish we lived closer, I would teach you so many wonderful things about how much fun you can truly have with cooking. You can even get your kids involved in the prepping and cooking process as well.

Another suggestion... Most Food Banks offer free cooking classes... you might want to see if your local food banks offer them. Also - consider calling some of your local colleges and universities... they may have access to free or small fee classes that you can join for cooking lessons as well.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,344 Member
    Options
    Great way to hide veggies, is in chili, cut up small the veggies you don't like as much and leave the veggies you do like lightly chopped. Some of the veggies I put in my chili are, carrots, corn, black beans, stewed tomatoes, onions, black olives, garlic, green beans, potatoes see how many veggies that is. Finely cut up what you don't like and you won't even know it's there....neither will your kids :) and the best part all you have to do is throw it in a crock pot and set it and forget it.
  • Ashalena
    Ashalena Posts: 162
    Options
    I can understand if you don't appreciate the taste of something, but you have every right as a parent to force feed your children whatever you want to feed them. For your children's sake, I'd suggest a healthy, balanced diet.

-wtk

^^^absolutely!

let them throw a fit, they will eat eventually. try the age game. i play this with my nieces & nephew. whatever age they are, that's how many carrots/peas/bites of food they have to eat. i also challenge them, who can eat the most apple slices wins a prize!! it will work after a while.
  • Jenn728
    Jenn728 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Do you have a crock pot? You don't even need to know how to cook to use it! You just pile all the ingredients in and turn it on.

Beef/Veggie Soup
    pack of stew meat
    large can of beef broth
    packet dry onion soup mix
    bag of mixed veggies (you won't even taste them, i promise!)
    Cook on high for about 6 hours. Add small can of tomato sauce and put on low until ready to eat. Serve over cornbread or rice. Or even just with some crackers.

It is so easy and good for you and I my youngest, who is the pickiest eater I have loves the veggies because they taste like the meat.
  • applebobbrush
    applebobbrush Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    100daysofrealfood.com. She has tons of recipes for real food that is not processed. I highly recommend it, great dishes that even kids will like. Don't forget that just cause you tried veggies one way, don't give up that you just hate them all. Keep trying them in different ways in different dishes. Like you can get a can of tomato sauce and use your blender or food processor to grind up some extra tomatoes, carrots and peppers for a great marinara sauce and it doesn't taste like veggies at all. Kuddos to you for getting out there and making the effort to learn to cook for yourself and make a healthy choice for you and your family.
  • ashreneeknutson
    Options
    If you want to eat clean, try reading the book Skinny B*tch. I PROMISE you it will completely change your outlook on food. after reading it, I went 4.5 months w/o eating a lot of stuff. I'm about to read it again so I will go back to that lifestyle change.
  • Captain_Mal
    Captain_Mal Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    Here's an idea.......... (took me like 3 seconds to Google)

Apparently you have a Williams-Sonoma there in Austin, 2 locations in fact, and they offer free cooking classes on Sundays. Of course this is the internet and the information could be outdated so give them a quick call. Otherwise, buy a cookbook or two and teach yourself.
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I love vegetables of all kinds, but steamed carrots and peas wouldn't appeal to me AT ALL. Maybe you just haven't been preparing vegetables properly. The tacos that someone else suggested is a great idea. I'm always making tacos out of veggies I have on hand; either sautee them with onions and chili powder (fajita style) or mash them up like refried beans and mix in some cheese. Speaking of which, does your family eat beans and lentils? They're a good substitute for meat.

I don't have any experience dealing with picky kids, but I think your own issues with food are partially to blame. Once they see you being adventurous and trying new things, the'll be more likely to try too. Like you, I had a mother who hates to cook so I taught myself, and now I'm obsessed with cooking.

Oh, and I would make a rule that your husband is not allowed to bring home any food from work.
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options

-wtk

^^^absolutely!

let them throw a fit, they will eat eventually. try the age game. i play this with my nieces & nephew. whatever age they are, that's how many carrots/peas/bites of food they have to eat. i also challenge them, who can eat the most apple slices wins a prize!! it will work after a while.

Agreed! Most people are "afraid" of veggies for some reason. They need to get over that eventually though.

Cooking Light has some amazing cookbooks. One is meals in 20 minutes or less and another is meals with 5 ingredients or less. You just have to be willing to try new things. As the parent it is your job to set the example of willingness to try new meals.
  • SLaw4215
    SLaw4215 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Suggestion #1: One of my favorite web sites is called All The Cooks (allthecooks.com). It's a recipe buider. You add a couple of ingredients you have and it will spit out some recipe suggestions.

Suggestion #2: A crock pot can be your best friend. You can make simple pot roast, soups, chillis and you'll make enough to feed that large family of yours

Suggestion #3: Get a juicer. I highly recommend a juicer that uses the pulp (more nutrition) and maybe even one that has a heat setting for soups. Mine is the Jack Lalane type and isn't as good as what I'm recommending for you. I got one for a "all family" gift last Christmas and we use it CONSTANTLY. Buying fresh fruit and vegetables can be very expensive, especially when you see how small it looks after it's been juiced HOWEVER it's a fantastic way to get fresh fruit and vegetables that you wouldn't normally consume into your food supply (because your kids can't see juiced spinach when it's mixed into spaghetti sauce or substituted for water) For example: I juiced a pound of baby spinach leaves. I added it in place of water to a box of Betty Crocker potatoes and while it looked green "I told my kids I made Shrek pie" and they laughed and gobbled it up. I look for the area of the produce section at the store that has marked down vegetables. I make vegetable soup (tomato, garlic, bell pepper, onion, zucchini, baby spinach, carrots, celery, beet, whatever I have on hand) and juice it then warm it up. My kids ask for seconds but they would NEVER have consumed these raw. In fact my daugther never eats vegetables...or so she thinks (wink)
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I don't have any experience dealing with picky kids, but I think your own issues with food are partially to blame. Once they see you being adventurous and trying new things, the'll be more likely to try too. Like you, I had a mother who hates to cook so I taught myself, and now I'm obsessed with cooking.

Agreed!