major questions

Options
Okay so my BMR is about 1819. however, when I put in the information into Myfitnesspal it tells me that my goal is 1709. So it didn't subtract the 500. Is there a reason for this or is it because it assumes that I'm not going to lay in bed all day so it just took off about 100 calories? Please I would like to know. I have my activity set to the lowest setting because I am normally behind a desk at work although i do hit the gym and weight lift.

My 2nd question is about weight training. Why don't they count that in as losing calories as well? I mean lifting weights has got to be a calorie burner as well. I just don't see why that isn't added in as well.

Replies

• Jay0hwhy
    Options
    BMR and TDEE are two different things--

based on your activity level, Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE) is calculated with a certain amount being added to your BMR.

I.e. my bmr is 1440. If i am lightly active throughout the day, it might calculate my TDEE as 1440 x 1.2 = 1728. Then, it will take 500 off of that to find my daily calorie goal
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    The 500 cals (to lose 1 pound a week) doesn't get subtracted from your BMR, it gets subtracted from your BMR multiplied by your activity level (I think that number is called TDEE, someone will be able to correct me if I'm wrong).

There are some entries for strength training under cardio, choose one of those if you want to enter the calories.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    dont over think all this...eat good food...exercise....just do it.
  • Olisellana
    Options
    I see. now it is making sense. What about my 2nd question?
  • Devilbat
    Options
    I see. now it is making sense. What about my 2nd question?

From the FAQ conveniently available up there ^^^ through the "Help" link at the top of the page:

Estimating the calories burned from strength training is very difficult because it depends on a variety of factors: how much weight you lifted per repetition, how vigorously you performed that exercise, how much rest you took between sets, etc. Because of this, we do not automatically calculate how many calories you burned from strength training exercises.

However, if you'd like, you can add "Strength training" as a cardio exercise to get a rough estimate of how many calories you burned. Please be aware though that this is definitely a rough estimate and can be fairly inaccurate.
  • italianissima
    italianissima Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

In the FAQ section it says that lifting weights is too hard to calculate for calories burned, therefore it is not included.
    You are right, though, weight lifting helps burn mega calories- including while you are at rest. For more info read articles from Oxygen magazine- lovely body building website (mostly for women, but still AMAZING info!).

Best of luck!
  • ejohndrow
    ejohndrow Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    I find that personally healthy food, exercise and not over thinking it work best. Also, when I work out only the calories I see burned on the cardio machines gets counted. Once again, this is what works for me. Just don't overthink it.