Natural protein bars or fiber bars

Options
MJ7910
MJ7910 Posts: 1,280 Member
I am trying to find a protein bar that does not have evil stuff in it (like maltitol). Maltitol is absolutely horrible to my body. Won't go into details but it's bad... so I am reading that this stuff maltitol is in a lot of diet stuff. Was wondering if anyone knows of any natural protein and fiber bars? I don't really care about the calorie content, just something that tastes decent and dosen't have lots of maltitol and nutra sweet type stuff in it.
i guess sucralose is pretty bad too. and others are too... sugar alcohols are bad too

Replies

• lessac
    lessac Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I made a quick check and NuGo Slim claims to offer protein bars high in fiber without maltitol or any sweeteners. I can't vouch as I don't think I saw the brand offered in my country but well yeah... google came up with that :)
  • MJ7910
    MJ7910 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    I made a quick check and NuGo Slim claims to offer protein bars high in fiber without maltitol or any sweeteners. I can't vouch as I don't think I saw the brand offered in my country but well yeah... google came up with that :)

ok i will look for those! thanks!
  • Ipster
    Ipster Posts: 20 Member
    Options
  • AKosky585
    AKosky585 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Quest bars had an all natural line. They are so good....20g of protein and high fiber too. You can only get them online...but so worth it.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I haven't had NuGo slim, but NuGo organic bars are yummy. I also like Lara Bars, although they are low in protein. Pure bars are a lot like Lara Bars (sweetened with dates) but they have added rice protein, so they're reasonably high in protein. The chocolate brownie one is amazingly good, and has 7 grams of protein in an 180 calorie bar.

All of these are pretty expensive, so I tend to make my own bars or balls at home. You can look around online and find recipes for Lara bar clones that you can make in a food processor (or by hand, if you don't mind chopping). I add chia seeds and protein powder to mine. They're all natural, relatively inexpensive, and I have control over what I put in them. I set up a spreadsheet with all of the ingredients I typically use, then play with the amounts until I have a bar with nutritional properties I like. Once they're done I use the recipe feature on here to add them, so they're easy to log. The blog "Peas and Thank You" (yes, Peas) has some good recipes for protein bars you can make at home.

The other advantage of making them yourself is, for me, if a bar tastes too good (I LOVE Lara Bars) I tend to eat too many of them. For the most part, I purposefully make bars that taste okay, but not great, so they're there when I need them, but they aren't a temptation.
  • ruggedBear
    Options
    I vote for Kind bars - no bad stuff, good fats (nuts) and the sweetness comes from honey or dates. Avg 150-200 calories per bar. They're my go-to snack for the car.
  • Molly182
    Molly182 Posts: 406
    Options
    I wish this thread had more replies :(
  • Trin3710
    Trin3710 Posts: 2
    Options
    I agree on the Quest Bars. Just to update, they are now available to buy in-store at the Vitamin Shoppe. They offer a free sample on their website. High in fiber and uses Stevia instead of sugars!
  • Trin3710
    Trin3710 Posts: 2
    Options
    Quest Bars are the best!! I'm a health nut and these are some of the best bars i've seen on the market. I was being a cheap-o and switched to some other bars I could get that were more cost effective and gained weight :(
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    If I had the money to do it all the time, I'd make my own YouBars (www.youbars.com). You can choose exactly what ingredients and how much of each go in.

If not, it might be worth it to make your own protein bars at home - I make my own Clif bars in huge batches and freeze them.
  • MariaMariaM
    MariaMariaM Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    I think products by Garden of Life are pretty good. They have some yummy bars too.
  • msomers68
    Options
    I like the Odwalla Super Protein bars. It is very flavorful and has 14 g of protein and cures my hunger.
    Check out this link:

http://www.foodfacts.com/NutritionFacts/Energy-Bar/Odwalla-Super-Protein-Nourishing-Food-Bar-24-oz/25103

One of the healthier things I have seen on foodfacts.com, with Shakeology being the healthiest.
  • jocelynna
    jocelynna Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    http://www.gnufoods.com/

These are a great option for high fiber bars and are pretty decent as far as calories.
  • freeasharold
    freeasharold Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    My Go tos are:

Lara Bars
    Kashi Go Lean-crunchy
    Mojo trail mix bars
  • MattGetsMad
    MattGetsMad Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    If I had the money to do it all the time, I'd make my own YouBars (www.youbars.com). You can choose exactly what ingredients and how much of each go in.

If not, it might be worth it to make your own protein bars at home - I make my own Clif bars in huge batches and freeze them.

You always have the best links.
  • mommy_from_mi
    mommy_from_mi Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I actually was looking up recipes last night and found a bunch for protein bars. Here's some...

NO BAKE PROTEIN BAR (makes 9)
    * 5 Tbsp natural peanut butter
    * .5 cup dry oats
    * .5 cup oat flour (put oats in blender and make into flour, or just skip this and double the oats)
    * 6 scoops chocolate protein powder
    * 1 tsp. vanilla
    * 2 Tbsp flax seeds
    * 1 cup nonfat dry milk
    * .5 cup water
    Spray 8x8 baking dish with cooking spray. Combine dry ingredients, mix well. Add peanut butter and mix. Add water and vanilla. Mix. Spread dough into pan. Refrigerate a few hours. Cut into 9 squares, wrap bars individually.
    (each) 197 calories / 7g fat / 21g protein

STRAWBERRY & BANANA MEAL REPLACEMENT BARS (makes 6)
    * 1 cup raw oatmeal
    * 5 scoops strawberry protein powder
    * .25 cup fat free cream cheese
    * .5 cup nonfat dry milk powder
    * 2 egg whites
    * .25 cup water
    * 1.5 bananas, mashed
    * 2 tsp canola oil
    Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Combine oatmeal, protein powder, and dry milk. In another bowl, beat together cream cheese, egg whites, bananas, water, and oil. Add oat mixture. Continue to beat until combined. Pour batter into pan sprayed with cooking spray. Bake 30 - 35 minutes.
    (each) 203 calories / 3g fat / 22g protein

DOUBLE CHOCOLATE PEANUT BUTTER BARS (makes 4)
    * .25 cup reduced fat peanut butter
    * 3 Tbsp fat free chocolate syrup
    * 3 scoops chocolate protein powder
    * 1 to 1.5 Tbsp water (may have to add more to get the right consistency)
    Combine peanut butter and chocolate syrup. Add protein powder and enough water to moisten slightly. You will probably have to knead this by hand. Separate into 4 and form bars. Wrap each bar in plastic wrap and refrigerate.
    (each) 170 calories / 6g fat / 17g protein

I haven't made any of them yet, but they look good! Good luck!
  • Elen_Sia
    Elen_Sia Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    Another recipe for protein bars:

PROTEIN BARS

Each bar costs about 60 cents and contains:
    260 calories
    35g protein
    21g carbs
    15% calories from good fat

Ingredients (makes 13 bars):

100% natural protein powder 14 ounces
    Organic rolled oats 7 ounces
    Fat-free milk (not low-fat) 3/4 cup
    Organic honey 3 ounces
    Unsweetened cocoa powder 1 ounce
    Shaved almonds 4 ounces
    Organic ground flax as required

Dump everything BUT only about half the milk to start in a bowl and squish it together with your hands.
    Add milk enough to wet the ingredients. It should be like concrete, not batter. Do NOT use a spoon, you will break it.
    Roll dough in your hands to make 13 hot dog shaped bars. To keep the dough from sticking to your hands, wash them first then wet them with cold water or cover them with a little olive oil.
    Roll them in ground flax
    Store them in a covered container in the refrigerator; they will keep a week. You can also store them covered in your freezer; they keep for months there.

NOTE: This is a recipe from Scooby. You can add natural PB to the mix if you want. I took it out of the recipe for me because my tummy intensely dislikes the oil in PB.
  • samf36
    samf36 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    These people let you choose what you want in yours here
    http://www.youbars.com/buildabar
  • jocelynna
    jocelynna Posts: 137 Member
    Options

Do you have a recipe that you are willing to share?
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    You always have the best links.

I do what I can to make the fans happy ;)
    Do you have a recipe that you are willing to share?

You betcha! I should note that I am vegan, so all the recipes I use are free of meat, dairy, eggs and honey.

http://www.nomeatathlete.com/homemade-energy-bars/
    http://enlightenedcooking.blogspot.com/2008/06/homemade-cliff-bars-no-bake.html (I use crushed corn chex instead of the puffed rice cereal, and it is da bomb dot com.)
    http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=1504166