To run or Not to run? That is my question :)

Options
Some say running is a best kind of workout, but others say to weight train? So what it is it and why? Truely I love both but find that I'm more passinate about running. Friends say to see good results weight train. I want good results and like everyone else I would like them fast. But I'm a VERY busy mom and find it hard to have TONS of time to devote to wieght trainning. But I will if I have to :) I'm pretty new at all of this and would like to here your ideas on this and why. Your sucess stories! Maybe some insight would be nice to. I need all the help I can get.
I try to work out 3 times a week and do both running/spinner bike and some light weights. I have a 11:45 mile and that is great for me. I have done a 5K and did it in 43.5 but I was just prego with my nineth child so I was pretty sick :) Would like to try another this coming year (2012) So that is me in a nut shell. =D

Replies

• bprague
    bprague Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I don't see why this is an all or none choice. Do both!

I do both. Strength training is said to increase your metabolism through building muscle and running through cardio. I personally like to do both because I love doing both! I know that's not terribly helpful but I will say I like the look that both has given me.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    It depends what results you're looking for! Running torches calories, weight training doesn't burn as much while you do it but builds muscle which improves your body composition and gives yo better inch loss.

Why choose? I do both - running three times a week and weight-training twice. That way I burn calories, increase my endurance (I'm training for a marathon) and maintain muscle mass while I'm losing fat. Not to mention the fact weight training helps protect my joints form running-induced injury. I used to get injured all the time, but hardly suffered at all since I started regular resistance training. They are great partners!
  • afigueroa_pr
    Options
    Um, I do both. 30-40 minute run in the morning and a 30 minute weight lifting session immediately after running. Who says you can't do both?
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    In my mind you need both cardio and strength training. Running burns calories and all but it isn't toning and tightening up your stomach or arms. Also, the more muscles you have the more calories you burn- nature's metabolism booster. I walk briskly (4 mph) for cardio and do pilates 2x week for strength training and found it is a good mix for me. The key is to find a strength training routine you like. I hate the gym and hate lifting weights, so discovering pilates and using my own body weight for resistance really changed my mindset in regards to strength training. The key is to find something you like to do.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Do both,

If you run and are in a caloric deficit and do not strength train there is a good chance you will lose a large % of lean muscle, not just the fat you want to lose. I usually run 2 times/week and strength train 2-3 times/week.
  • MelissaGraham7
    MelissaGraham7 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I concur with above -do both. Strength training is a great addition to running. Most experts seem to see that strength training will really enhance the running. I plan to begin incorporating strength training into my fitness regimen in 2012! Do both!
  • mommaof9
    mommaof9 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    thanks :) Good point as to why I need to choose, I just feel I need to get the greatest results and I want to do the right thing. I'm not sure to what that is? thus the question. But maybe the anwser is in the question. Both!!
  • kanata
    kanata Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Sounds like these two have the right idea, i'd recommend the same thing to be honest. Running will help lose the points but for definition weight training is a good way to get definition for sure.
    I've started the 30 Day Shred (it's all over this forum) as i used to do weights but quit for many years so, it's been quite good to get me back into it, so something like a dvd might be helpful if you're a beginner at it :)
    Like the other two i'd definitely try to squeeze in both.
    Cardio 3 times a week and strength 2 times is a very good combo
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Oh it's a vicious circle.... Yup Running torches calories. But if you have more muscle you torch even more calories. :smile:

I'm a runner but I am currently heading into my off season (winter... yuck). This means running twice a week (instead of 4 times per week) and cross training twice a week. I'll still be logging 20 Km a week, but my cross training will consist of 30 minutes of free weights and 30 minutes of swimming each session. This in essence gives my legs a rest, still maintains my cardio and allows me to strengthen other areas which aren't really worked by running (core & upper body)

My answer...do both, cross train and enjoy the variety it brings!
  • smilebhappy
    smilebhappy Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I would say do both!!
    This is my goal for the new year....commit to starting/completing a running program (C25K) & do strenth training as well.

Would love support/suggestions from anyone currently doing the same thing or those going to start.....feel free to add me ;)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I try to work out 3 times a week and do both running/spinner bike and some light weights.

As long as you are not overeating that should keep you fit.
  • love22step
    love22step Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Switch from light weights to heavy weights 3X per week. Your workout will be shorter! Then you can run.
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    I've been doing the elliptical and strength training. I had to stop to have my gallbladder out, but I'm allowed to resume cardio tomorrow. I'm going to start C25K 3 times a week. Two weeks from tomorrow, I'm allowed to add weight training and will be doing the "New Rules of Lifting for Women" workouts 3 times a week.

I personally think both types of workouts are important. Strength training has benefits for your joints, muscles, and bones (it can actually help prevent osteoporosis), but cardio (whether it's running or elliptical) has benefits for your heart and your endurance. So I think a well-rounded exercise program will include both.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I'm a runner and still love strength training. And neither really take up huge amounts of time. My strength training is typicaly 30 minutes 2-3 times a week, and I run about 30 minutes (sometimes more) 3-4 times a week.

(EDIT: that's THREE TO FOUR times a week, not 3-45 times a week! *snarf*)
  • M_lifts
    M_lifts Posts: 2,224 Member
    Options
    why choose when you can do both? fab advice from everyone above, cross training is the answer!
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Some say running is a best kind of workout, but others say to weight train? So what it is it and why?

Basically nothing will burn calories as fast as running.
    At my mass, and your speed, I'd burn ~630 KCal/hr
    To burn the same amount swimming, I'd have to be going a fast pace, or playing water polo
    To burn the same on a bike, I'd have to be going about 15 mph for an hour
    Boxing (sparring or in the ring), canoe/kayak/skull racing, "vigorous" XC skiing, all burn about the same as a 11:30 mile pace.
    If you work up to a 8:30 pace, you'd have to bike @ ~19 mph (without drafting), and there are very, very few other activities that burn as many KCal/Hr.
    If you work for a long time and get to a 6:00 pace, there is almost nothing that will burn calories as fast.

It's not that it doesn't build muscles. Running does great work on leg muscles. And at higher speeds, it's pretty good for core too. It's not going to do a lot for arms though ;)