Arizona and Fiesta Bowl

Options
_SusieQ_
_SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
My husband and I are traveling to Arizona to see the Cowboys play in the Fiesta Bowl. I have never been to Arizona, and I don't want to miss anything fun! There are so many activities centered around the Bowl!

For those who live there or traveled there, any thoughts/ideas/suggestions of things to NOT miss? We will also be there over NYE.

Thanks!

Replies

• _SusieQ_
    Options
    Well, as pathetic as it is to bump your own topic I will do it one time b/c I honestly was hoping for some tips.

If no one has mercy on me, or possibly just has nothing to offer, then I suppose the thread will die a sad, lonely death.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    BUMP

I loved AZ, my only suggestion, Truth or Consequences! They have awesome natural Hot Springs "Big Bend Natural Springs" I think was the name of the place and a really cool little art store who's name I cannot remember.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    I loved AZ, my only suggestion, Truth or Consequences! They have awesome natural Hot Springs "Big Bend Natural Springs" I think was the name of the place and a really cool little art store who's name I cannot remember.
    That's in New Mexico. Damn Arizona, trying to steal the thunder from the "Land of Enchantment"!
  • WarriorMom2012
    WarriorMom2012 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Never been but I want to keep the thread alive...
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    That's in New Mexico. Damn Arizona, trying to steal the thunder from the "Land of Enchantment"!

DAMMIT! It all happened in the same 2 days, it's hard to keep **** like that straight.
  • CaptainGordo
    Options
    Lived in the Valley of the Sun for about 5 years, and loved it. Great vibe, and plenty to see and do.

I'd start here: http://www.visitphoenix.com/index.aspx

Have fun! :drinker:
  • Sublimely_Self_Righteousreused
    Options
    I guess as an Arizonan, I'm not all that thrilled with the Tucson area for things to do :( The best stuff is up north!
  • Sublimely_Self_Righteousreused
    Options
    Nevermind. I didn't read everything and for some reason thought you were going to Tucson.
  • CaptainGordo
    Options
    I guess as an Arizonan, I'm not all that thrilled with the Tucson area for things to do :( The best stuff is up north!
    Yeah, Tucson blows.
  • lrichardson2360
    lrichardson2360 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • ncahill77
    ncahill77 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    GO POKES!

I know nothing about AZ but wish I was going.
  • nurse_christieyne
    Options
    Go check out Tombstone if you have time...

Arizona is awesome.. Love it.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    i Went to Phoenix one time on a business trip...rented a car and shot up to Sedona to see the red rocks - It was beautiful.

We also did a side trip to the Grand Canyon on our honeymoon and it was mind blowing (made the drive from Vegas and is was SO worth it!).
  • _SusieQ_
    Options
    Thanks for the responses. I know that there are lots of activities associated with the Bowl games, I just wondered if maybe someone had a little "gem" to share. One of those, "Oh if you are going you HAVE to ...."
  • CaptainGordo
    Options
    Thanks for the responses. I know that there are lots of activities associated with the Bowl games, I just wondered if maybe someone had a little "gem" to share. One of those, "Oh if you are going you HAVE to ...."
    Oh, if you are going you HAVE to... stay away from downtown Phoenix. Spooky.
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    An AZ native there's so much to do. The fiesta bowl new years eve party always fun. Lots of resorts have parties as well. Are you staying in Tempe? Do you drink? if yes to those then def. go to Four Peaks Brewery (great beer/food and fun), there is the Zoo that is good. Hiking around Papago Mtns (in town by the zoo and Tempe) always super cool. Shopping at Biltmore Fashion Sq, or Scotts Fashion is good. There are some grea botanical gardens. Lot's of hiking on Camelback Mtn, and Squaw Peak. Awesome Mexican food and I like it hot, so I can reccomend some spots that are close to you/where you're staying. There are some great day trips if you'll have a car. Feel free to message me. AZ is awesome.
  • brattyworm
    brattyworm Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    the bioshpere is really cool.... it was featured in the movie Biodome... but all the engineering and stuff that goes into is kinda cool I think.. (but that may be the nerd in me talking)
  • _SusieQ_
    Options
    An AZ native there's so much to do. The fiesta bowl new years eve party always fun. Lots of resorts have parties as well. Are you staying in Tempe? Do you drink? if yes to those then def. go to Four Peaks Brewery (great beer/food and fun), there is the Zoo that is good. Hiking around Papago Mtns (in town by the zoo and Tempe) always super cool. Shopping at Biltmore Fashion Sq, or Scotts Fashion is good. There are some grea botanical gardens. Lot's of hiking on Camelback Mtn, and Squaw Peak. Awesome Mexican food and I like it hot, so I can reccomend some spots that are close to you/where you're staying. There are some great day trips if you'll have a car. Feel free to message me. AZ is awesome.

We are staying in Phoenix and yes we drink. :happy: I will PM you, thanks.
  • toasterlisa
    toasterlisa Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I am a recently transplanted Arizonan, so I'll suggest starting here http://www.arizonaguide.com/ to check out your interests.

From Phoenix, it's not a bad drive to the south rim of the Grand Canyon, but bring warm clothes as it might be snowy up there.

There are parks, hiking trails, and other nature-type stuff outside the city. Tons of shopping and malls. A gajillion restaurants!

I see you got some other, probably more helpful, responses.

Best wishes on your health and wellness journey!
  • dragonbait0126
    dragonbait0126 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I live in Phoenix and I have to say I love the downtown area. There are TONS of things going on centered around the Fiesta Bowl. There's the block party and the parade which are the big events of course and then numourous other things going on. This is the link to all the official Fiesta Bowl events. http://www.fiestabowl.org/events.php

Tempe is a suburb of Phoenix and that's where the block party is. Downtown Tempe is awesome and I'm not just saying that because I work there and am currently typing this from work. I love Mill Ave and all the various shops and restaurants. This is a calendar of events in Tempe for December. http://www.tempe.gov/calendar/

There is of course all the stuff like Zoo Lights, the Botanical Gardens, and the shopping! We have several great malls. My favorite is Chandler Fashion Center. Scottsdale Fashion Square is a more upscale mall with stores like Barney's, Armani, Betsey Johnson, and Jimmy Choo along with your everyday mall stores. There's also Arizona Mills Mall which is an indoor outlet mall. Don't forget the museums too!

If you are here long enough there are tons of things that are just a couple hours away as well. There's the Snow Bowl in Flagstaff, Payson and Prescott are 2 adorable towns to visit and the Grand Canyon is a few hours drive from Phoenix. There's also the Polar Express which departs from Williams and is based upon the book.

Hope this helps!!!