Confused by HRM

Options
2»

Replies

• akjmart2002
    akjmart2002 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    The simple answer may be that the Timex does a lousy job of approximating your calories. You can test it by using a calculator like this:

http://www.triathlontrainingblog.com/calculators/calories-burned-calculator-based-on-average-heart-rate/

and your average heart rate over your exercise period (a measurement that HRMs usually do very well).

Then you'll have an idea of how much to discount your HRM's calorie burn approximations.

For the record, I've compared this calculator with the results of my HRM (a Polar FT7) and the numbers generally agree very well.
  • mikethom
    mikethom Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    The simple answer may be that the Timex does a lousy job of approximating your calories. You can test it by using a calculator like this:

http://www.triathlontrainingblog.com/calculators/calories-burned-calculator-based-on-average-heart-rate/

and your average heart rate over your exercise period (a measurement that HRMs usually do very well).

Then you'll have an idea of how much to discount your HRM's calorie burn approximations.

For the record, I've compared this calculator with the results of my HRM (a Polar FT7) and the numbers generally agree very well.

Thanks, I ran across this calculator before, I just used it and it estimates ~850 calories, I think I'll go with that.
  • beeblebrox82
    beeblebrox82 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I have a timex HRM and I've compared it's readouts on 2 and 4 mile runs. Both times, compared with various manual calculation methods, I found the timex to be high by all most exactly 1/3..... so for logging purposes I've been logging 2/3 of what it shows. Somewhat frustrating. I've been meaning to give those guys an earful.
  • ygglove
    ygglove Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    So is the general census that HRM's are a no go? I wanted to get one for stuff like the 30DS, and jogging with the hubby in the mornings [in our neighborhood not at a gym]..
  • MDWilliams1857
    MDWilliams1857 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    ygglove, HRMs can be useful. The only advice I can really give you is dont go for the cheap one. The Timex that I have was like $99 and it stinks. I bought my wife a Polar F6 and its awesome. It ran about $170 or so but that was 3 years ago. If you can afford to buy a really good one do it, or save up for it. if you cant afford it right now, I wouldnt bother with one cause it will drive you nuts. My Timex would just stop in mid workout. it got to the point where I was constantly checking my HRM to make sure it was still working and it was hurting my workouts cause I was too focused on my HRM instead of just doing the workout. I wore my wifes Polar and it never stopped once. Im going to hope someone gets me one for Christmas cause hers is pink and its a little weird wearing a pink watch into the gym to lift weights..
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    So is the general census that HRM's are a no go? I wanted to get one for stuff like the 30DS, and jogging with the hubby in the mornings [in our neighborhood not at a gym]..

HRM's can be awesome tools, if you do research and get the correct one. Timex, obviously is a crappy brand.. over estimates calories, does not take any info needed to accurately estimate calories, etc.

The best brand IMO is Polar. I have the FT7 and I love it.. gives an accurate calorie estimation, never drops it signal, never has interference and I just not changed the battery in the transmitter after having it since april.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Timex HRMs are not very accurate to begin with when it comes to estimating calories--based on what I have read from others.

In your case that is compounded by the fact that your HRM is almost certainly set up incorrectly. According to the TM (assuming you entered your weight), your average intensity was about 5 METS. That is consistently with the speed/elevation numbers you reported.

And either there was some interference that gave you an erratic HR reading, or your actual HRmax is higher than your age-predicted HRmax. According to your avg HR, your HR avg for the entire 50 min was 86% of your age-predicted HRmax.

Not likely. However, the HRM assumes your HRmax is the age-predicted number (~170). I don't know exactly how the Timex models work, but all HRMs must have some estimate of your aerobic fitness capacity. Your HRM calories probably come from a combination of the HRM overestimating both your HR intensity and your aerobic fitness level.

I don't have time to go into more details, but that is almost certainly the issue (and your TM numbers are likely the accurate ones).
  • akjmart2002
    akjmart2002 Posts: 263 Member
    Options

Absolutely not! HRMs are invaluable tools to understand your caloric output during exercise. I think the takeaway message here is that sometimes HRMs are worth exactly what you pay for them... cheap ones are cheap.
  • LoriB57
    LoriB57 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    If i RUN my *kitten* off,( heart rate over 160 ) for a 5K distance in 35 minutes I burn about 350. That's it ! I weigh 125 lbs. I recently ran a huge bridge 5K run and that was 450, but my heart rate was offthe map....When I do A Turbo Fire 45 I burn about 300 and when I do JM30DS I burn about 275. I wish I could eat more :-(
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options

Correction, Timex HRMs are a no go. Get a Polar or some other brand as every time I read about Timex HRM they are over calculating calories.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    i use a timex HRM, and i find it to be pretty good. i mean, it can only be so acurate, considering it gives and estimation based on age, weight, maximum heart rate, and beat per minutes. i've used it almost from day one, and the results speak for themselves.

bigger out of shape people will have higher hear rates and larger calories consumed.

hell, the other day i did an intense work out for 90 minutes and burned like, 2000 calories. is that really acurate? i don't know. did i enjoy eating every last one of those exercise calories? no, because i would throw up, lol.

but a chest strap HRM is the most acurate way to estimate your energy expenditure.
  • JamesBurkes
    JamesBurkes Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Sounds like your HRM is off. That said, at 290lbs, 50+ minutes of cardio would probably be a big burn. At 205 I burn around 800 calories jogging at 5mph for 50 minutes, which is a lot higher than a lot of calculators say. Then again, it is also quite a hilly circuit and I'm at 80-90% of my max HR all the way round.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    i use a timex HRM, and i find it to be pretty good. i mean, it can only be so acurate, considering it gives and estimation based on age, weight, maximum heart rate, and beat per minutes. i've used it almost from day one, and the results speak for themselves.

bigger out of shape people will have higher hear rates and larger calories consumed.

hell, the other day i did an intense work out for 90 minutes and burned like, 2000 calories. is that really acurate? i don't know. did i enjoy eating every last one of those exercise calories? no, because i would throw up, lol.

but a chest strap HRM is the most acurate way to estimate your energy expenditure.

You're also a male.. and TImex's assume that you are a male since they don't take gender into account.

They also don't use Vo2Max, which can make the calorie count off too.. esp if you got fitter since stating to use it.

When I had mine, it told me that I burned 580 calories walking on a treadmill for 30 minutes.. and I was like no, I think not.. back to the store you go!
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options

You're also a male.. and TImex's assume that you are a male since they don't take gender into account.

They also don't use Vo2Max, which can make the calorie count off too.. esp if you got fitter since stating to use it.

When I had mine, it told me that I burned 580 calories walking on a treadmill for 30 minutes.. and I was like no, I think not.. back to the store you go!

You're right, I are a male! So is the OP. for a $50 hrm for a beginner, I can't complain.