"I don't want to bulk up!"

Options
So there was a competitive Skiier at the gym today working with a trainer.

This guy just kept reminding the trainer that he "didn't want to bulk up", and the trainer kept assuring him he would be fine.

Bodyweight exercises and explosive movements, and this guy was certain he was going to turn into a bodybuilder by the end of his hour session.

I see this same mentality here A LOT. (mostly from women, but from men as well)

What causes people to think if they do anything other than straight cardio, they are going to get huge?
And this was a professional athlete we're talking about!

If it were that easy I'd be a 275lb beast!

That is all for my morning rant.

Replies

• zoombie_bear
    zoombie_bear Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    morning beast, glad you are up and posting such rants, a good read, Rome was not build in a day, only one wk-out won't make you turn into the incredible hulk, mr muscle but maintaining such a wk-out probably will, no?
  • zoom2
    zoom2 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    I've heard that crap out of my MIL's mouth. She's an ectomorph--she'd have a hard time bulking up even with steroids! I'm a mesomorph and still don't bulk up super easily...because I'm female.
  • bbbgamer
    bbbgamer Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    They need a good slap in the face from someone who is "bulked up" to make them recognize the hard work that goes into achieving the aforementioned bulked up status...
  • applebobbrush
    applebobbrush Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    If it only took one session with a trainer to bulk up, I'd be there :). I want muscles, I want some rocking guns and great legs and an awesome butt to go with it. I'm not afraid to get some muscles or work for them! Dang if that myth were true!
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    i want abs of steel but i still want to be soft in all the right places ;)
  • Meggles63
    Meggles63 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    morning beast, glad you are up and posting such rants, a good read, Rome was not build in a day, only one wk-out won't make you turn into the incredible hulk, mr muscle but maintaining such a wk-out probably will, no?

Not really...he'd have to start lifting HEAVY and eating at a calorie surplus and working very hard for months to gain muscle.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I don't know what to say. I'm pretty flat chested so as I increase my lifting, my muscles show easily in my shoulders and back, but then again, I think muscles are nice.

I could understand a woman not wanting to look like Arnold, but most body types are not predisposed for that anyway.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I could understand a woman not wanting to look like Arnold, but most body types are not predisposed for that anyway.

I think additionally, even if someone was genetically gifted, the amount of work both in the gym and out (proper intake) is such a long-term thing that the whole notion of it happening in a matter of weeks is silly.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I honestly feel like it's a rationalization to not work hard.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    This reminded me of this: http://www.leighpeele.com/the-ideal-female-body - an article I read the other day.

The first picture is of a female bodybuilder.
    While 73% of the women in the study thought she was extremely bulky, 48% thought it would be "easy" to look like that with training in the gym! And 13% said "very easy" :noway:

People's idea's of what builds muscle is extremely distorted I think. I'd love it if these people realised how much effort it took to bulk up!
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options

true.

i've been doing squats, lunges, and deadlifts until i'm blue in the face. my *kitten* is still flat.
  • mamitosami
    mamitosami Posts: 531 Member
    Options

Agreed!!!
  • Galletakek
    Options
    LOL... i wish i had that problem... I would love to have bigger legs ... but its almost impossible to gain weight .. if anything lifting is the cure to weight loss along with diet .... for me anyway : /... .. but i sure as hell didn't lose weight from doing just cardio .
  • Justjoshin
    Justjoshin Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    This reminded me of this: http://www.leighpeele.com/the-ideal-female-body - an article I read the other day.

The first picture is of a female bodybuilder.
    While 73% of the women in the study thought she was extremely bulky, 48% thought it would be "easy" to look like that with training in the gym! And 13% said "very easy" :noway:

People's idea's of what builds muscle is extremely distorted I think. I'd love it if these people realised how much effort it took to bulk up!

This was an amusing article.
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    They need a good slap in the face from someone who is "bulked up" to make them recognize the hard work that goes into achieving the aforementioned bulked up status...

heh heh I coulnd't agree more
  • HealthyBodySickMind
    HealthyBodySickMind Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I just started CrossFit with a friend, and what I heard from my husband was, "I'm glad your spending more time with so-and-so, but I really don't think you'll look good all bulky."

I'm a size zero. I told him I'd slow down the gym routine if I mananged to fill out a three. sheesh.