Housecleaning cheats???

Options
Setof2Keys
Setof2Keys Posts: 681 Member
What are your housecleaning cheats? Tricks to make it easier, faster, old tricks...

I'm struggling now to maintain the house alone. My BF is working the opposite shift and working weeks straight so the one thing I could do is keep up the house. I wondered what do you do to get it all done?? I am trying to make more time for my exercising and hoping my knowledgeable friends on MFP will have amazing ideas.

Replies

• Setof2Keys
    Options
    Dang waaaayyy too many topics coming through too quickly...I got no play time on the right side of the screen LOL!
  • 4HealthyMe
    4HealthyMe Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Vacuum only where people can see....:laugh:

Honestly, the best thing I ever did for myself was to lower my standards. I am not filthy or gross, but I feel there are more important things in life than having a perfect house. I try to vacuum& dust once per week, clean the bathroom likewise. Keeping the clutter to a minimun goes a long way to making the house look okay even if there's a little dust. Every once in awhile, I do a deep cleaning of the carpets, wash windows, mop/wax floors, but I try to resist doing it too often. :wink:
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Set a timer for a certain amount of time everyday (maybe 15 minutes). It's amazing how much you can get done when you really focus and have a set end time.
  • Setof2Keys
    Options
    Good ideas! I know one of my friends uses dishsoap in her tub instead of comet. It cuts the soap scum, but you can't use the cheap stuff. It works well for the in-between cleanings, but comet is necessary eventually. I sqee-gee my shower door after I shower so soap scum doesn't build up.
  • NicolCook
    NicolCook Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I have a vaccum that the brushes shut off so I can do my flat surfaces, cuts way down on sweeping. I spot mop inbetween really having to mop. Try to put laundry and dishes away when they are done. I have noticed if I do more than one load of laundry, I will stack them to put them away, and it doesn't get done.....so do it as they come out of the dryer.

I have a daycare at my house, so I keep stuff picked up or they are into everything. Dusting happens when it bugs me.....
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    You could go by the Quentin Crisp method of cleaning and just not bother. "After four years," he quipped, "you don't notice the dust."
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    If you do one chore per day, your house will stay pretty clean. Pick up after yourself and do dishes each evening so you wake up to a clean kitchen.

I don't kill myself cleaning, but there's never a time I would be embarrassed to have someone drop by unexpectedly.
  • SueGeer
    SueGeer Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    You could go by the Quentin Crisp method of cleaning and just not bother. "After four years," he quipped, "you don't notice the dust."

I'll go for this one :laugh:

Sue :smile:
  • 4HealthyMe
    4HealthyMe Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Set a timer for a certain amount of time everyday (maybe 15 minutes). It's amazing how much you can get done when you really focus and have a set end time.

I do this in a way. A variation of sorts. For example, I may clean out a drawer in the kitchen. One drawer, that's it. Or maybe I'll empty the pantry , clean it, then re-organize it. Yet another day I might just clean out a closet, but not all of them in the house. This is a great tip!
  • Redness82
    Redness82 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I usually only "clean" once a week, usually on Sundays. That's when I really do a once over of the whole house. I try to keep the kitchen clean always, as food is gross!! But otherwise, I only clean if something is really bugging me. We just moved into our house about 6 months ago, so most things have their place and we've been able (by we, I mean I) to keep it that way. It might take a little organizing, but it might be worth it! :)
  • lisabstrong
    lisabstrong Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    hire a cleaner to come in once a week. :happy:
  • nakabi
    nakabi Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    clean as you go in the kitchen, especially as you are cooking.

like the other person said, set a timer and see how much you can get done. you might be surprised.

set a chore for each day and then it doesn't get overwhelming.

I do all 3 and there is never a time I'd be embarrassed to have someone drop by and them see my house :)
  • moushtie
    moushtie Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    If you're looking for ways to stay on top of housecleaning, I really recommend looking at flylady.net. She is big on the "15 mins at a time" thing, and has loads of ways to build habits and routines to keep things manageable. I've been incorporating some of her ideas, and they really do work.
  • JHB2011
    JHB2011 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I do a little bit a day then set one day a week for a little extra time. I hate clutter so once I use something or do something I put it where it goes instead of leaving it out.
  • bhalter
    bhalter Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I don't try to get it in all in one day. I probably take 15-20 minutes per day to break up the tasks and get everything done over the course of the week. Picking up and cleaning as you go is definitely helpful too.
  • bhalter
    bhalter Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Oops, double post.
  • blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I clean once a week except for dishes I do daily. I also use child labor that can be really motivating if there is an allowance at the end.
  • cobracars
    cobracars Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    My brother had this problem but then he got one of them "wife" things. Now the house seems to take care of itself! :bigsmile:
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    I do very little housework.

Living on my own, I'm able to clean up as I go so really most of the housework I used to do is not necessary at all.

For instance while I'm cleaning my teeth I'll swoosh the sink and taps clean, I wipe spills and splashes in the kitchen straight away before they're dry, I look at the lavatory after I've used it and if it's less than spotless I give it a brushing straight away, I wash cooking utensils the second I've finished with them, and wash my plate as soon as I've eaten.

I'll vacuum the carpets and dust every few weeks or if I've got someone coming, but really that's about it.

EDITED TO ADD - yes I second the flylady method for anyone who is getting overwhelmed. When I had someone living with me, there was about ten times as much housework needed to keep the house even reasonably clean and I used her methods to get on top of it. Bottom line though, rather than trying to cope, throwing out the one who makes a mess is the best housework efficiency tip I can give you. Just hope that's not you!!! :bigsmile:
  • SafireBleu
    SafireBleu Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I have 4 kids. I don't have a lot of time. I also have 4200sq ft, 5 bedrooms and 3 bathrooms to clean. I basically follow this schedule. If I have a party I will vacuum, clean bathrooms, clean outside of appliances and dust right before and clean bathrooms and mop the floors right after the party.

WEEKLY I split these up so I am doing only one thing a day
    Vacuum
    Alternate weekly bathroom cleaning between deep cleans and spot cleans
    Dust Furniture and Blinds
    Clean Bathrooms
    Sweep

BI-WEEKLY This I do on weekends Saturday morning vacuum, Sunday morning mop.
    Vacuum Stairs
    Mop Floors

MONTHLY
    Wipe Down Kitchen Cupboards
    Wipe Down Kitchen Knickknacks and Canisters
    Clean Stove
    Wipe Down Kitchen Counters and Refrigerator
    Wipe Walls & Fingerprints
    Dust Light Fixtures
    Vacuum Furniture

QUARTERLY
    Clean Refrigerator