fake boobs...

Options
chanstriste13
chanstriste13 Posts: 3,277 Member
just saw a report saying that there was a boob implant recall in france. it's reported that 30,000 women were affected by this one supplier and need to have their implants removed so they don't get cancer from the illegal silicone the company used. but that got me thinking about numbers. 30,000 women - that's roughly 10% of the women in france. and that is jjust this one brand that is no good - not all of the ones that are fine. that is a *lot* of boob jobs. i had no idea they were so common.

that just kind of blew my mind. had to share. i wonder how many boob jobs we've go over here? 10% of women? 20% of women? that is craziness. okay, back to your regularly scheduled programming...

Replies

• juliecat1
    juliecat1 Posts: 3,455 Member
    Options
    That is a lot of silicone! Had to look it up....,

8%. About two million women in the United States have breast implants, with 250,000 going under the knife each year
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Wait... the population of women in France is only 300,000? I thought France had close to 64 million people?

I don't think I personally know anybody who has had implants done.
  • SimplyShanRunning
    SimplyShanRunning Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    Damn!....**looks down** Im happy with mine just the way they are.......

(mine are all natural incase the above statement was misread)
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    There are 65 million people in France. Assuming half are women, that would make the 30,000 a little less than a tenth of 1% of the women in France. Then, one would also assume that people from other countries in the European Union might travel to France for a boob job if the French specialize in that sort of thing.
  • juliecat1
    juliecat1 Posts: 3,455 Member
    Options
    Wait... the population of women in France is only 300,000? I thought France had close to 64 million people?

I don't think I personally know anybody who has had implants done.
    Yep, about 65 mil
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    its not just france it affected, the implants were a budget implant called PIPS and a lot of conveyor belt cosmetic surgery used them to cut costs, throughout europe and thousnads of women have been affected. A lot of women have had problems with them and they had a very high rupture rate. Im so glad theyr off the shelf now. Its not new news though. This was about 18mths/2years ago nearly they were banned.
    If you had implants before this time, its worth contacting your surgeon to find out whether you are one of the unlucky ones.
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    Not quite what I was hoping for... :grumble:
  • DietingMommy08
    DietingMommy08 Posts: 1,366 Member
    Options
    They are very common it seems like.

I have 4 friends that have them done...
    1 friend about to get them done
    and I am considering getting mine done as soon as I get down to my goal weight.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    I had a friend just recently get a boob job. Personally I think she looked better before (of course I have never told her this!)...... haha.
  • TheDoctor90
    TheDoctor90 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    300,000 women in France...Wow.
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options

Agreed.
  • nukehiker
    Options
    I have a good friend who had a boob job done this summer. she just turned 50 this year and wanted to get something done. not sure why she did it since she was already like a 36C or D. but i guess she wanted double D's.....lol
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options

Same :indifferent:
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I don't see the point of getting breast implants unless they are because of a mastectomy. I don't like having big boobs, they just get in the way! I'm happy to take what nature dealt me, I just need to work it the way nature intended.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I don't see the point of getting breast implants unless they are because of a mastectomy. I don't like having big boobs, they just get in the way! I'm happy to take what nature dealt me, I just need to work it the way nature intended.

If you've lost a lot of weight, it really messes with your breast tissue. I am an A cup (or a small B), 31, no kids, but because I used to be morbidly obese, my breasts are really weird looking. I've heard other women describe post-weight-loss breasts as looking like oranges in socks--I'm smaller, so it's not that bad, more like small limes in socks. I'll probably never have surgery for it, but I understand why a woman would. Also, not all women with implants get huge ones, I have friends who have B or C cups, you wouldn't know that they were implants unless they told you.
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    I have two friends that did it. One went so big she looks ridiculous (and I have told her that) the other, well they look like two hard baseballs. YUK- I think boobs are supposed to be soft and supple I personally would never do it. I am happy with being a small B- real is best to me, small or large.
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    well its up to the individual. I hated mine after going from an A cup to a FF/G cup in pregnancy and then back down again and being left with swinging spaniels ears. A little nip, tuck and modest plumping out again, and now im a million times more body confident.
    Really its one of those subjects where everyones got a damn opinion on what women should or shouldnt do with their bodies.

Dont like implants, fine, dont get them. Happy with your boobs the way they are - fantastic. Not happy and have the means to do something about it. Good for you.
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options

Verses 63,700,000 men.. not good man to woman ratio.
  • iHEARTcardiacnurses
    Options
    Thats why you get the saline boob implants. That way if they blow you just replace it, no biggie.
  • dadoffo
    dadoffo Posts: 422 Member
    Options

Verses 63,700,000 men.. not good man to woman ratio.

Is that 300,000 women with fake boobs?