A woman’s figure tops her weight any day

2»

Replies

• jowings
    jowings Posts: 157 Member
    Such a great post! Reminded me to love my body and continue to take care of it, no matter what the scale says!
  • Thank you so much for this post. It honors all kinds of bodies, and reminded me that excessive focusing on the number of the scale hasn't served me as well as working with the figure I have--giving it the movement and acceptance it needs to glow.
  • Preach, sister! I'm a huge vintage collector, and have maybe 2 that can fit my size 16 figure right now. My glorious collectiuon of 1940s and 50s vintage is waiting for me to return to it. It's maybe the biggest motivator for me next to living longer :)
    Great topic and information, but sorry not to sound nitpicky, but I am a HUGE HUGE HUGE vintage enthusiast and trying to fit in vintage clothing is a HUGE motivator for my weight loss....Ms. Monroe was a vintage 16 a modern size 8. Trust me on this I buy reproduction clothes that follow vintage sizing....and by modern standards I'm a 16 by vintage standards I'm ginormous. They liked their women curvy, but they also used TONS of shapewear to get that perfect hourglass figure. Marilyn did work out and I actually have that pic as inspiration. Regardless skinny, curvy, whatever your body size...I say we all concentrate on being the most fit and active we can be. That in the long run will provide us with our most ideal body size.
  • <3 !
  • beatleschic87
    beatleschic87 Posts: 260 Member
    Think of Christina Hendricks! That woman is a total BABE :love:
    And she is a size 14.
  • FitnessBarbie99
    FitnessBarbie99 Posts: 277 Member
    I love this post!

I joined a gym and started back here about a month ago. I've got long-term fitness goals at the top of my priority list. Weight loss will naturally follow -- it always does.

I'm concentrating on strength and fitness training and even after just a few weeks of picking them up and putting them back down, I can feel a difference. I've only lost a few pounds and sometimes that gets me down, but most of them time, I am pretty happy!

Some of my clothes are starting fit a bit better and I am looking forward to the journey forward!

95981.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • love it thank you
  • gazz777
    gazz777 Posts: 722
    Yup, figure over figures
  • syiyi
    syiyi Posts: 341 Member
    thx for sharing! =)
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 12,098 Member
    I have tossed the scale for the measuring tape! Like Michelle O., I am 5'9" and a size 8, so I think I can get where I want to go (with heavy-lifting and strength-training!).

Great post!
  • Marilyn Monroe
    Marilyn Monroe owned the hourglass figure in the '60s and has made it the universal symbol of femininity and sexuality. She had an incredible body ratio of 36-23-35. (Even Dolly Parton would be proud!) At 5 feet, 5 inches tall, Marilyn’s size 8 figure (not size 16, contrary to popular belief), made her the original curvaceous American icon.

yes marilyn's figure was curvaceous.. But she had the waist size of Kate Moss! I am someone who has Marilyn posters covering every inch of my room and the "monroe" piercing on my upper lip. I love this woman.. but she was TINY. very tiny. 35 inch hips is quite small, and her waist is TEENY.
    As a woman of 5'2" and a size 6.. I have 36 inch breasts, 27-28 inch waist, and 39 inch inch hips. I would say I am curvaceous.
  • ronadams52
    ronadams52 Posts: 176 Member
    Attention BMI disciples ……

I feel it is also necessary to comment about BMI. It is even more useless then weight. Why? BMI does not consider bone structure for one thing. People can be small, medium, large or X-large. Another reason can be found looking into my results. Because I have worked out with weights for a number of years I have more muscle then most other people my gender, age, height and weight. So when my BMI is calculated it registers 25.1 or over weight. For my age, height and weight people at the health club say I look exceptional but my BMI says I am considered over weight.

That is why I recommend and take my clients body fat percentage and tape measurements. While still not extremely accurate it is a far better measurement of your overall body composition and improvements. It is also a great tool to use for recording historical progress. You can usually find and buy an analyzer for less than $50 and how much is a cloth tape measure ladies?
  • angela828
    angela828 Posts: 498 Member
    This is great... no one can see my scale or the number but they see my waist getting smaller, my thighs getting smaller, and my cute figure :) when I was 135 pounds before college, I wore a size 8 jean... now I'm 149.5 and in size 6s. Losing inches is so great haha
  • ronadams52
    ronadams52 Posts: 176 Member
    Hi Angela,

Thanks for commenting on my post about measurements vs. the scale. Your comments are exactly what I am talking about. I have trained plenty of women and I know they all feel the same way you do. No one is going to say wow you look like you lost 5 pounds accept for those you may tell who then agree. However, many people will notice changes to a person even before they do. The first places to show change are usually located away from the core. Cheeks, ankle bones, shoulder blades and wrists will look more toned and noticeably different. The rest of the body follows along with the last places on women being their lower abs, upper thighs and gluts.

Ron
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 12,098 Member
    It would be great to see other mfp persons indicate their success with dropping SIZES (regardless of what their scale says).