Heavy Stress Without Comfort Eating?

Options
Hi. So here's my story. About two months ago, I went through a pretty rough breakup while I was pregnant. Then subsequently had a miscarriage over Thanksgiving. I was sent in for a bunch of tests and after weeks of following different leads; I was told yesterday that I have an elevated result on a cancer marker. That along with a small mass that they found on an ultrasound is giving the doctor concerns about having Ovarian Cancer. I have to go see another doctor asap.

The reason I'm sharing my story is the fact that I have always been an emotional eater. I eat to comfort myself. How do you handle extreme stress without setting up camp in front of the fridge? Does anyone have any tips? I have been trying to find comfort at the gym but it's hard. Any help would be appreciated.

Replies

• josery1630
    josery1630 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I build in some comfort foods on the days I need them. If chocolate is your thing, have a small piece or two and walk away (go do something else). Or I'll make hot chocolate and savor it. If I just absolutely HAVE to have pizza, then I eat it, but I make sure I get to the gym so I can at least work off some of the calories.

My strategy so far is to try to find replacement comfort foods or limit my exposure to small amounts. If I give in and indulge, I just try to make it up at the gym.

I'm a stress eater too, so I feel your pain! Friend me if you want and I'll be happy to support you. :)
  • DawnB86
    DawnB86 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    My goodness! Honestly, I'm impressed that you've been able to get out to the gym after all that. First of all, I'm very sorry for your loss. I'm also an emotional eater. I've been at this for almost two years and I still have trouble sometimes. What helps me is simply getting out for a walk or meditating whenever I feel the need to go for the fridge. After I'm done with the walk/meditation, I ask myself if I'm still hungry or do I just want to eat. If I just feel like eating and can't stop myself, I try to go for carrots or an apple with peanut butter. At least it's better than polishing off a whole bag of oreos :smile:

Best of luck with the doctor: I hope everything turns out for the best.
  • BobbyClerici
    BobbyClerici Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Hi. So here's my story. About two months ago, I went through a pretty rough breakup while I was pregnant. Then subsequently had a miscarriage over Thanksgiving. I was sent in for a bunch of tests and after weeks of following different leads; I was told yesterday that I have an elevated result on a cancer marker. That along with a small mass that they found on an ultrasound is giving the doctor concerns about having Ovarian Cancer. I have to go see another doctor asap.

The reason I'm sharing my story is the fact that I have always been an emotional eater. I eat to comfort myself. How do you handle extreme stress without setting up camp in front of the fridge? Does anyone have any tips? I have been trying to find comfort at the gym but it's hard. Any help would be appreciated.
    Yes, in time your coping will be exercise - not eating yourself fat.
    It's hard to change habits and when you see the results from this change, you will never go back and wonder why you ever did eat to comfort stressed emotions.
  • mwilbur27
    Options
    Yeah. For about 2 weeks. I didn't leave the house or do anything. Lost 7 lbs and then immediately gained back 5. The only thing keeping me on track and from not breaking down is trying to ignore everything in life right now and concentrate on joining the air force. May never be a possibility for me now because of the medical issues but it's the only thing I have right now.