Christmas dinner made from a box...

Options

Replies

• MJ7910
    MJ7910 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Put things in perspective.
    Be thankkful you have family to spend Chistmas with.
    When people offer you their hospitality don't judge.
    Eat a little bit of everything and you'll probably be able to keep in caloric budget

This post isn't saying I'm being unthankful, I'm attempting to figure out a way to have a healthier meal than they're offering.

i totally get where you're coming from. maybe try and make something like other suggested. there are tons of good side dish recipes on skinnytaste.com and on the cooking light website.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I busted my in laws making a similar thanksgiving dinner. The turkey was legit, but the mashed potatoes came out of a bucket from Gordon Food Service.

For me, it was incentive to just eat smaller portions. I tend to pig out on home cooked food, because it is so tasty, but when I know that no one worked hard on it, I don't feel obligated to eat it.

I did eat some pie though. It was delicious.
  • ACEgirl1
    ACEgirl1 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    It's one day out of 365. Bring a healthy dish and enjoy the company!
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I will be having christmas dinner at the in-laws and, to say the least, they are not a cooking, healthy food family.
    I'm 110% positive that this will be whats for dinner:
    -Pre-cooked/pre seasoned butterball turkey that was thrown into the crock pot for a couple hours.
    -Stove top stuffing
    -minimal veggies (I'm talking, like quarter cup per person)
    -pillsbury flaky rolls
    -betty crocker boxed mashed potatoes

So... what the hell do I do with a dinner like that??

Few years ago, we had Thanksgiving dinner at a family member’s house that does not like to cook, was very busy with everyday life, and that in addition had never baked a turkey. She ordered the whole dinner from a local market. Another very young family member that cooks very well, likes to cook, and carries family traditions, felt that all holiday’s dinners should be homemade from scratch and openly disapproved of the “market made” dinner choice.

The hostess felt insulted and hurt, and that feeling never went away. The dislike for each other has openly affected family reunions and even today, they don’t get along or like to be in the same room together.

So, let’s not over step our boundaries and try to impose our food choices in our families or friends. Be polite, enjoy the togetherness, and in the name of the holiday spirit and the meaning of Christmas, be thankful that you are enjoying the day with family. There are many people that will go hungry these holidays and many soldiers that would love to have warm mashed potatoes out of a box or a Pillsbury biscuit with their families.

Merry Christmas
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I will be having christmas dinner at the in-laws and, to say the least, they are not a cooking, healthy food family.
    -Pre-cooked/pre seasoned butterball turkey that was thrown into the crock pot for a couple hours.
    -Stove top stuffing
    -pillsbury flaky rolls

Few years ago, we had Thanksgiving dinner at a family member’s house that does not like to cook, was very busy with everyday life, and that in addition had never baked a turkey. She ordered the whole dinner from a local market. Another very young family member that cooks very well, likes to cook, and carries family traditions, felt that all holiday’s dinners should be homemade from scratch and openly disapproved of the “market made” dinner choice.

The hostess felt insulted and hurt, and that feeling never went away. The dislike for each other has openly affected family reunions and even today, they don’t get along or like to be in the same room together.

So, let’s not over step our boundaries and try to impose our food choices in our families or friends. Be polite, enjoy the togetherness, and in the name of the holiday spirit and the meaning of Christmas, be thankful that you are enjoying the day with family. There are many people that will go hungry these holidays and many soldiers that would love to have warm mashed potatoes out of a box or a Pillsbury biscuit with their families.

Merry Christmas

Absolutely.

As someone who cooks for large groups of people on a regular basis (all the holidays, birthdays, etc.), I put a lot of soul into my meals. Even if someone just bought it, they still paid for it, set it out, and invited you to partake in it with them. That's a nice thing to do. Appreciate it.
  • nrvo
    nrvo Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Eat before you go so you're not starving. Politely try a little bit of everything, extra heavy on the veggies. Offer to bring a salad or a (light) dessert.
  • sunnyday789
    sunnyday789 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Eat a little bit of everything and you'll probably be able to keep in caloric budget

This post isn't saying I'm being unthankful, I'm attempting to figure out a way to have a healthier meal than they're offering.

You're right; your question was "what the hell am I suposed to do....?". I read between the lines of this post and some of your other replies and picked up an attitude that wasn't gratitude. I apologize if I misread you.
  • Justjoshin
    Justjoshin Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    It's one day out of 365. Bring a healthy dish and enjoy the company!

Although I do agree with this somewhat, unfortunately, this gameplan ends up turning into much more than 1 of 365.

Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years, Birthdays, St Patricks Day, Fridays.... It keeps going.

Learn portion control, and pass on some of the foods you know you shouldn't eat.
  • WickedMouse
    WickedMouse Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    why don't you make a Delicious green salad. Don't ask, just do it. My husbands family never made Salads for holiday meals, then one time I made it and I Have been asked every year to bring the salad. Maybe this could be a start to healthier holiday traditions for your family.
  • bluiz13
    bluiz13 Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    i agree with an above poster...make a "healthy" dish and bring it along - veggie dish or a big garden salad....it is polite to bring something to contribute when someone else is cooking and it is even more polite to eat what is provided.....have a little of everything and alot of your "fresh" stuff and do a workout before or after to help counter balance any damage you think you may do....also drink lots of water before and after....there is nothing wrong with the meal you listed....sorry just my opinion....

my xmas eve menu at my house:
    shrimp cocktail
    cheese ball w/crackers

spiral baked ham w/brown sugar glaze
    mashed potatos
    brown sugar glazed baby carrots
    petite green peas
    croissants

tollhouse pie w/vanilla ice cream

christmas dinner at my house:
    baked artichoke/Parmesan dip w/crackers
    shrimp cocktail
    cheese ball w/crackers

roasted turkey
    stuffing
    mashed potatos
    green bean casserole
    corn
    gravy
    croissants

tollhouse pie w/vanilla ice cream
    confetti cupcake
  • sms1986
    sms1986 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Consider it a day off and eat til your full
    No more no less

Maybe drink lots of water beforehand to fill yourself up a bit

I agree. Just consider it a cheat day - I personally think it's just as healthy to have unhealthy food once in a while as it is to eat healthily in general.
  • philOHIO
    philOHIO Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    -Stove top stuffing
    -pillsbury flaky rolls

This was my grandparent's house growing up. I never knew good food before I got married.... and why I gained the poundage. Look at it this way, you're not going there for a free dinner... you are spending time with others! Keeps you on track dietwise.
  • philOHIO
    philOHIO Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    The last time I had dinner at the grandparent's, we STOPPED AT Cracker Barrel for REAL food, didn't eat what they had.
  • eliz_in_pink
    eliz_in_pink Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    First off, Christmas isn't about the food. It's about fellowship with family and celebrating the birth of an everlasting and loving God. I think you know that. I also know that with your question you are searching for advice on what to eat with the food you are being presented... Yes, your choices at this dinner are not the healthiest. Just bring a huge bowl of salad... Thats what I do. I even make one HUGE bowl for everyone to eat from and then a mini dish for me so that way, I know I will like everything I put in it.. and leave the plainer salad to my family. Also, bring a couple of choices of dressings (some low cal, some not low cal) so they don't think you are being critical of the way they are eating but rather helping them with another food option.

If you insist on not making anything and just eating from your options you presented us with today then good luck- workout before hand so you can enjoy your meal. But please remember, it's not about the meal!

Merry CHRISTmas! :heart:
  • jwaitman
    jwaitman Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Offer to bring some additional veggie side dishes or a salad.
  • flabulous4
    flabulous4 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should try eating the box for a healthier option! :wink:
  • brattyworm
    brattyworm Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options

This... You know how much I would like to spend Christmas with my family? My husband is on the other side of the world right now. I can't take time off work to go see my fam or his because I took time off to see him when he came home to visit for three weeks.

On another note, nobody says you have to take huge helpings. Bring some healthy snacks for everyone, work out a little extra that day or the day before/after. Its one meal... you can counter it.
  • PBmaria
    PBmaria Posts: 854 Member
    Options

^^ THAT!
  • Shanna_Inc86
    Shanna_Inc86 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    If you don't like it, don't eat it.

I'm sorry I got over that whole, "just to be polite" thing. If I dont' like something, I will not eat it, case closed.
    I enjoy the company of the people around me and that's it. I don't say anything and I'm good and staying busy enough and talking enough that its not noticable but I refuse to eat food I don't want to eat and don't like.