walking in heels

Options
2»

Replies

• teagin2002
    teagin2002 Posts: 1,901 Member
    Options
    I've heard that it works your muscles more and helps tone...but not ever from a realiable source

Same :smile:
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Probably, but I doubt it's much of a difference.

It probably helps work the muscles in your legs more though, it feels like that with me. I'm terrible at walking in heels though so I'd rather stick with the flats even if it gave them a great workout! haha
  • sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    No, but they hurt like hell, so it should burn more calories!
  • pandabear_
    pandabear_ Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    It does burn more calories to walk in heels because you are trying to balance, walk differently, using different muscles, etc.

But it also depends on the heel, i.e. walking in stiletto heels burns more calories than a lower heel.

I remember reading this in cosmo and I'm always running for the bus in heels when I go out! Thinking of all those extra calories I'm burning!
  • erin_zuk
    erin_zuk Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    One of my best friends wore heels for years. Her calves looked great but now she's destroyed her feet to the point a Dr ordered her to stop wearing them all together. She now has a hard time standing for extended periods. It's painful. No thanks.
    ^ THIS!

My aunt wore heels for 30 years and it destroyed her leg muscles.
    The "soreness" that women feel after walking in heels is because: YES - it is working out your muscles, but not in a way that is any good for them! Your muscles are forced to work much harder and longer to help you walk because your feet are held in a downward position and have reduced power to move your body forward. If theser muscles are chronically overused, the muscles can shorten and a contracture can occur - which can cause you serious pain in years to come!
  • EzraCCM
    Options
    In Miss Piggy's defense (as far as not slimming down) she has genetics working against her! (She was born a pig!)
  • 1FitMom326
    Options
    It does burn more calories to walk in heels because you are trying to balance, walk differently, using different muscles, etc.

But it also depends on the heel, i.e. walking in stiletto heels burns more calories than a lower heel.

I remember reading this in cosmo and I'm always running for the bus in heels when I go out! Thinking of all those extra calories I'm burning!

This is the best news I have heard all day! I wear heels almost everyday for work. I am 5'9 and still love to wear heels so any guy I date has to be at least 6ft :)
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    One of my best friends wore heels for years. Her calves looked great but now she's destroyed her feet to the point a Dr ordered her to stop wearing them all together. She now has a hard time standing for extended periods. It's painful. No thanks.
    ^ THIS!

My aunt wore heels for 30 years and it destroyed her leg muscles.
    The "soreness" that women feel after walking in heels is because: YES - it is working out your muscles, but not in a way that is any good for them! Your muscles are forced to work much harder and longer to help you walk because your feet are held in a downward position and have reduced power to move your body forward. If theser muscles are chronically overused, the muscles can shorten and a contracture can occur - which can cause you serious pain in years to come!

Ouch! I'm so glad I don't wear them now!
    I have several pairs of heels but probably only wear them like once a month.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    for me - the added calorie burn wouldn't be worth the wear & tear on your feet. Wearing high heals is very hard on your feet.

This is what I was thinking. Wearing heels is torture.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    It does if you're wearing these...

710D3E24-orig.jpg
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    No. It doesn't. It fatigues (and possibly damages) your feet but it doesn't make you burn calories.

Unless you are one of the baboons who schlumph around in them with no grace, making heels the most UNsexy thing in the world.

Rehabbing a sprained ankle probably burns more calories than walking in heels gracefully.

amanda-seyfried3.jpeg
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    All of these wobbly heeled bimbos are a perfect example of why we should all be exercising and getting plenty of calcium!
  • jsuaccounting
    jsuaccounting Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I am not sure but there was one study I read. It found that people who wore heels to work walked significantly less throughout the day.
  • javamonster
    javamonster Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Don't know about wearing heels, but I wear steel toed boots for work & riding boots all winter. That's an extra 3 lbs I carry around when I walk! That's gotta count for something! :ohwell:

I agree! Once I start wearing my big old Sorels in the winter to keep my feet warm I'm sure I must be burning more! Then add the 6-12 inches of snow I have to trudge through! :laugh:
  • BlueDahlia77
    Options
    Don't know about calories, but it does help tone your calf muscles.