Lean High Protein Foods

Options
I've become used to leaning on the following lean foods to boost my protein for the day:

*Cottage Cheese
*Chic Peas
*Fish
*Turkey
*Mix 1 Lean Performance drinks

I cannot eat anything that is too processed due to an allergy to a couple preservatives. Any other suggestions for lean high calorie foods? these ones are starting to bore me :)

Thank you!

Replies

• anyonebutmehaha
    Options
    nuts? greek yogurt?
    and just wanted to say fish ~ there are so many choices maybe exploring some that you have never had (cooked different ways) would help relieve boredom?
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Chicken

Steak

Shrimp
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    pork chops
    eggs (or egg whites, or a mix of both)
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    yes Greek Yogurt
    I love nuts and they have healthy fat but I wouldn't consider them a great source of protein relative to the cals they contain..
  • NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Cottage Cheese.
  • Gabbahh
    Options
    Tuna. Also try using carb sources like quinoa, lentils and oats for carbs. These contain lots of protein compared to most other carb sources.
  • pfeiferfit
    pfeiferfit Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I second Tuna. Also oysters (canned) and sardines (can't do it but maybe you like them?). I do like a tin of oysters every now and again.
  • CRSE1214
    CRSE1214 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    black beans, tofu, salmon, tuna, turkey or chicken
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    Also try using carb sources like quinoa, lentils and oats for carbs. These contain lots of protein compared to most other carb sources.

I was going to say this too. My Kashi GoLean cereal has 13g protein per 1 cup serving.
  • yummygoods
    yummygoods Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of Fat Free Greek Yogurt-- 1 cup has 120 calories and 22 grams of protein, that's better than my protein powder!

And *chic peas*.... are those the ones from Paris? Ooh La La! :o)
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    Other kinds of beans, lentils, and peas

Pam
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    I'm a huge fage 0% greek yogurt fan --- read the labels. Not all greek yogurt is created equal!
    If it has more sugar than protein, its not the one you want ...

Also if you are watching sodium -- check out the label on cottage cheese sometimes.
    1 cup of that is about half your daily today :) I was pretty shocked when I read that and stopped eating it so much.
  • scubagirl319
    scubagirl319 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Plain Greek Yogurt, Beef Jerky, Eggs, Cheese and meat rollups or lettuce wraps, shrimp, crab, Ole Extreme Wellness Wraps (tortillas) Only 68 calories, 17 carbs, 12 grams of fiber (only 5 net carbs) and 8 grams of protein, cut up into 10 triangles and baked in the oven till crisp and eat with humus. Also avocado, good protein and healthy fat
  • Kimmer2011
    Kimmer2011 Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I'm having fish at lunch frequently, but shrimp is my favorite.
  • JPDad
    JPDad Posts: 147
    Options
    Bison (aka Buffalo) - Not normally mentioned on MFP, but it is a great alternative. Here is a table that compares Bison to Beef, Pork, Chicken and Salmon. It is leaner then all listed.
    http://beechhillbison.com/buffalo_nutrition.html

Spirulina - Complete protein from algae
    Hemp Hearts - Another vegetarian complete protein. Great for smoothies, yogurt and salads
  • bbycarrot
    Options
    Wild Alaskian Salmon burgers, I could eat those suckers every day for the rest of my life. Usually runs for about 16g. per 3oz. Soft boiled eggs, yogurt, & low fat milk. :)
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Wild Alaskian Salmon burgers, I could eat those suckers every day for the rest of my life. Usually runs for about 16g. per 3oz. Soft boiled eggs, yogurt, & low fat milk. :)

Yes I love salmon!! Also a great source of omega 3s which we could all use! :)
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Steak/beef can be if you're careful what you buy. Lean ground beef (depending on how lean you are trying to stay) can be a good option, and tenderloin and strip are lean cuts of steak (that you can trim even leaner if you want). Stay away from fattier cuts like ribeye though.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    I always LOL @ people listing beans as a high protein food. May as well list oatmeal.
  • sportsforfun
    Options
    For meals, buffalo, chicken, fish, lean beef, egg whites

For snacks, greek yogurt, beef jerky, low fat string cheese, tuna, canned chicken, protein drinks