Housework & Yardwork?

Options
Hey Kids (I call everyone "Kids"...ha ha!)...

Just a quick question: who here counts housework and yardwork as exercise? And if you do, how do you calculate the calories you burn?

I'm just curious because as soon as I finish up with my flight-simming (don't ask...yes - I'm a total geek...ha ha!) I'm heading outside to shovel the sidewalk & driveway.

Thanks!

JW

Replies

• jeffwyeg
    jeffwyeg Posts: 105
    Options

Just a quick question: who here counts housework and yardwork as exercise? And if you do, how do you calculate the calories you burn?

I'm just curious because as soon as I finish up with my flight-simming (don't ask...yes - I'm a total geek...ha ha!) I'm heading outside to shovel the sidewalk & driveway.

Thanks!

JW
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    depends.... If I am doing a few hours of housework, it counts. If I am just doing a quick vacuum, it doesn't
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I dont add any housework or yardwork as excercise ..i just consider it a bonus to my day..just becareful if you add it and then decide to eat the calories given for it. Make sure its accurate burn:drinker:
  • lyla29
    lyla29 Posts: 3,549 Member
    Options
    I also only count it if it's a few hours of work, or something that I don't normally do. You can find it under cleaning for the housework, or gardening for yard work.:smile:
  • Bug263
    Bug263 Posts: 90 Member
    Options

Thanks!

JW
    good question??? i'm a stay at home mom and i clean everyday but the amount varies(depending on how messy the family is:laugh: ) but i don't ever record it cuz i'm scared that i'll eat more calories that maybe i shouldn't be. anyone?
  • thompsons81702
    thompsons81702 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I add them. I always add if I shovel snow. I just googled it so it is not accurate but shovleing snow is aprox 580 cal per hour. So I usually can get my shoveling done in about 30 min and put 290. I am not sure, it is totally up to you. I only put my housework down like on Sundays when I do 2 hours of cleaning. Did you know that just standing for an hour burns like 100 calories. Gardening is about 270 calories per hour. Light house work is about 250 calories per hour.
  • bitty_401
    Options
    There's a site where you can get calories burned when you do housework.Calories burned during exercise.Is based by the hour.Let me know if you found what you are looking for.I do add this to my exercise log beside my Cardios.