am i the only person embarrassed to exercise!

Replies

• Clarecbear82
    Clarecbear82 Posts: 369 Member
    My main problem is we live in a small two bedroom flat so its pretty crowded and we only have one tv so I feel pretty bad kicking them into a bedroom while I do my thing. I just don't want to feel like a freak show
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,689 Member
    I don't mind working out or even stretching around people at the gym, but I hate doing my stretching DVD with my husband around. It feels weird. We live in a small apartment, so I wait until he's at work (the one good thing about working on different schedules).

When I first started working out, I felt weird going to the gym. Like everyone must be looking at me thinking, why is there a fat girl at the gym (it didn't help that I was going to my campus gym that was full of mostly thin undergrad females). Even then, I knew it was irrational, but it still took me a while to get over.
  • BarbWhite09
    BarbWhite09 Posts: 1,128 Member
    I'm the exact same way! I thought I was the only person like that! Lol. I started the 30DS yesterday...Because my fiance is currently out of town visiting his fam for the holidays. But he won't be gone 30 days obviously...So I'll probably end up only doing it a week or so...Like I just feel like a moron flailing around in front of him to a workout video. I have a few other exercise DVDs that I've tried to do & I'll try to sneak in time to do em when he's not there...He says he'll just go into another room but Idk, I just can't do that stuff while he's there.
  • I joined a gym a couple weeks ago. Right now, I can only work out for about 20 minutes (and that's slow walking on the treadmill-like slower than everyone else). Sometimes, when I'm walking into the gym and see all the people there, or sometimes when I'm adjusting the speed of my treadmill to only 2.0 or 2.5, I feel an Intense amount of embarassment. I feel like I should be able to do more and that it shouldn't be so hard for me to do the little that I do. I feel like everyone is looking at me and judging me because I can't do as much as they're doing. When I get this feeling, I remind myself over and over that I'm doing this for myself and that those people don't matter. I didn't know them when I walked in and I won't know them when I walk out, so it doesn't matter. And if they are judging me, then that's on them because I can always lose this weight, but they'll never stop being a jerk. I realize that this method may not work with your SO, but just wanted to let you know that you're not alone in feeling embarassed. I would think that your SO would actually be happy for you to be doing this for yourself, but, if he isn't then that's on him not you. You deserve to do this for yourself, so get it girl!
  • I am the same. I have this workout dvd which is amazing, but everybody has to leave the house when I plan to do it.
    There are two ways I can do it when people are around, one is they do it with me. I find this motivational, however this is hard for some people.
    Or I get up early so they are still sleeping after I'm done.
    Hope this helps a little. :)
  • Jenn728
    Jenn728 Posts: 683 Member
    I'm the same way lol. I always feel silly doing my exercise videos and if he walks in, I'll take a water break haha. There have been times where he was sitting in the same room, but on the laptop reading news or something...so I'd do it anyway thinking he wasn't watching.....then I'd hear him tell me to keep going or work harder lol
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    I'm not like that at all! I'll even finish my workout while the cable guy is here.......
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    I don't do my Zumba DVDs when/where other are around. It's not so much embarrassment though, I just find it distracting to have others in the room, and my husband tends to make lude comments (there is a lot of booty shaking in Zumba).

But we hike and sometimes bike together and I don't mind working with my dumbells in front of him. Also I sometimes do the Wii Fit thing where it counts off a step aerobic beat while you watch TV when we're watching together.
  • lulucall911
    lulucall911 Posts: 51 Member
    When i first started working out i felt the same way and still kinda do (there is still no way to get me to work out in public!) But when I started getting stronger and more comfortable with my own body my confidence grew. Now i work out with my husband and friends mind you i still make sure all my curtains are closed :) I guess that will be the next step for me building enough confidence to workout anywhere without worrying about what everyone else is thinking.
  • janet_pratt
    janet_pratt Posts: 747 Member
    I don't know why it feels lame to do it at home, but it totally does. No problem at the gym, but I feel stupid doing any kind of exercise in my house. Of course in my sister's case, it WAS lame. She was doing Booty Burlesque Ballet or something to that effect. I've never laughed so hard in my life.
  • BobbyClerici
    BobbyClerici Posts: 813 Member
    No no no!
    Don't be embarrassed, yet I am just as guilty.
    We need to just do what will bring us closer to our goals no matter the embarrassment.

I try to do some of my stuff when the house is empty, but if not, oh well!
    I do not mind looking foolish, because it won't look foolish being in peak condition.
  • colorfulcupcakes
    colorfulcupcakes Posts: 122 Member
    I exercise at the gym but sometimes do yoga at home. I don't like to do it in front of my husband, I get embarrassed too. I also dislike meditating when he's home.
  • EuroDriver12
    EuroDriver12 Posts: 805 Member
    wierdly i dont care if anyone sees me workout... i workout as if im the last man on earth! but when my SO is around... i cant workout properly because she starts judging and telling me i make funny faces n what not lol
  • CouchSpud
    CouchSpud Posts: 557 Member
    I am even embarassed at the Gym and not survivin more than 20minuts with the Personal Trainer today was sooo embarassing... to think that I have been doing sport all my life, starting with swimming up to playing handball and olleyball 4 times a week and going to the gym regularly. But then job and injury got the better of me... and now I am a formless fatty blobb with no stamina. Bless him, he was really cute and kept telling me that I will get there and doing the right thing by getting back on the band waggon, but that even embarassed me more... :S
  • RoosterB
    RoosterB Posts: 214 Member
    Know the feeling. I'm about to start P90X and now my 13yr old son wants to do it with me. Good for him in many ways but still....
    There's some stuff you just need to do on your own, and working out is one of them.
  • afwg1979
    afwg1979 Posts: 170 Member
    Nope, not when it comes to the 30DS anyways, I will not do that around anyone. Although I can go to a public Zumba class and look like a total *kitten* and not care.

I'm working up the courage to go to a Zumba class and look like a total *kitten* and not care . . . I'm totally uncoordinated. I can't even do line dancing!

I used to workout in the "ladies only" section of our gym, but after losing 25 pounds, I ventured into the coed section. I'm glad I did because the equipment is tons better! (I used to think that only the "fit" people worked out in the coed section; was I way wrong!)

I keep reading about 30DS but am clueless . . . from what I've read, I don't have the stamina for it, yet.
  • I can't lie, I find this quite odd.
  • teagin2002
    teagin2002 Posts: 1,900 Member
    I used to be when I was way bigger, I just couldn't do all the exercises. I felt terrible :(
    That is one of the reason when I see someone who was as big as I was I try to get close to them. Make them feel more comfortable. :smile:
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Naaa, I kind of step it up a bit if he watches. However, when I'm skating, it freaks me out if I think someone is watching me. I can't concentrate.
  • sarahmaryfearnley
    sarahmaryfearnley Posts: 366 Member
    OMG! I totally feel the same way! I even went so far as to fix up his "man cave" so he would have somewhere to go when I want to exercise, but he always seems to be hanging around!

He might like to watch! I know my Husband loves to watch me run on the treadmill, sweating, red faced, and all. He says all he sees is the pony tail and runners ;)