Personal Trainer... the moment...

Options
... your realise that you have tricked yourself into believing, that you so far have done a half decent work out ^^. 20 minutes and I was feeling physically sick (okay, that might have been due to having a bloody stressful day prior and just releasing tention after being tense for most of the day, but still...)

Anyone else with that experience lately, or am I just totally and utterly not fit ? ^^

Replies

• PedmomJill
    PedmomJill Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    You are lucky! You just never know what you'll get when you enlist a "personal trainer". I signed up for a group boot camp-there were 6 of us total. On my third workout with mine, I pulled a hamstring. The sad thing is I knew right away on day one that I didn't like his style
    not nearly enough warm up before engaging in big stretches. And our workouts were only 30 minutes.

So consider yourself lucky that you like him/her! That is their job-to make you feel beat. LOL
  • CouchSpud
    CouchSpud Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    He totally beat me ^^ I never felt so unfit before. Quite embarassing. It was a free session, just to see how I get on with it, courtesy of the Gym. But I might give it a try from the new year on... till then I shall be working on the plan he has given me so far ....*crawls off*
  • brk_1982
    brk_1982 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Had the exact same experience! I had worked out on and off for years and sometimes would be a bit sore. After my first work out with a trainer, I could barely walk, and my arms and chest cramped while I was driving. People were asking me why I was limping because I was so stiff, hahaha! After that first week I adjusted though and now that first workout wouldn't even make me break a sweat!
  • CouchSpud
    CouchSpud Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    lol I am keeping my hopes up then ^^ I am halfway between being freaked and being encouraged to hit it harder. I think I will hit it harder, back at the Gym tomorrow. Also had the good old nutrition talk.... :S
  • Tarah1218
    Options
    You are lucky! You just never know what you'll get when you enlist a "personal trainer". I signed up for a group boot camp-there were 6 of us total. On my third workout with mine, I pulled a hamstring. The sad thing is I knew right away on day one that I didn't like his style
    not nearly enough warm up before engaging in big stretches. And our workouts were only 30 minutes.

So consider yourself lucky that you like him/her! That is their job-to make you feel beat. LOL

As a personal trainer, I would not want to waste my clients money or time on stretching. They should warm up and stretch before their session so they can use the entire time on the workout that they pay me for. If they need help with stretching ideas I would of course be glad to put a stretching routine together but I just think it is a waste of time and money to spend half the session warming up and stretching your client.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,622 Member
    Options
    You can spend 5 minutes of good warm up on dynamic stretches (never do static stretching for warm up) and then hit it.

I pretty much offer 30 minutes to anyone for a training session. I go "off the cuff" based on what they are trying to achieve and practically EVERY TIME, the person isn't as fit as they think. Fortunately for me, this is how I have gotten many a client. I encourage people at a gym to do it. Some trainers won't do it because they work strictly on commission only, but since I get base pay and commission, I'll offer it to anyone who wants to give it a shot.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • PedmomJill
    PedmomJill Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I agree with both of you-the warm up and stretch is a waste of $$$$ training time. However, this is the first boot camp I went to, and I NOW know the questions to ask if I ever consider it again. I need to ask about the intensity, the length of the sessions, etc. It's my own fault for not asking, but in reality when I hear "boot camp" I think of getting my *kitten* kicked! Not a 5 minute warmup/stretch, with only 20 minutes of actual exercise, and then a cool down.
  • Mom2rh
    Mom2rh Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Generally, I think anytime you try a new workout you are going to struggle. I did a run 100 miles in September challenge. Then in October I joined a small class with a trainer...the first class killed me! And I had been running an average of 25 miles a week. But after I got rid of that lactic acid from working the muscles, things got a LOT better for me. I am still doing the class and it is hard but I have not been as sore as after that first one.
  • mgero212
    Options
    Its a new workout style and I love seeing my trainer once I week to shock my body and learn new things to do for yourself other than on the machines all the time. They have that job for a reason and its to get you into better shape even if you think your in shape. There are always new things to learn to teach your body so you don't plateau with your weight lose plan. If you weren't sore after your session then they didn't do their job so its a good thing to be sore.
  • mgero212
    Options
    Its a new workout style and I love seeing my trainer once I week to shock my body and learn new things to do for yourself other than on the machines all the time. They have that job for a reason and its to get you into better shape even if you think your in shape. There are always new things to learn to teach your body so you don't plateau with your weight lose plan. If you weren't sore after your session then they didn't do their job so its a good thing to be sore.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I'm now going on my third personal trainer(long story there!) and each time, they kick my butt.. but in a different way.

My first one was a complete moron(threw my back out three times!) but he gave an awesome workout in the beginning. As I progressed, it became too cooke cutter and stopped working as well.

Trainer #2 had a totally different approach. He did one session to see where I was, and then based routines off of that. We did a lot of super sets and moves that seemed totally easy until you actually did them one right after another with only a 30 second break in between.

Trainer #3 again, has a totally different approach. I got a free session with him last week, and after we did all the measurements, assessments etc etc, we started with the workout. Seeing as this is my third trainer, I thought that I would be fine and no big deal.. but I was wrong. I was totally red and sweating with in like 5 minutes of starting.. and I've been doing this for 12 months!

I'm seeing my trainer again on Thursday and I can't wait to see what he does now that it's not a demo session... and I'm sure I'll have my butt kicked yet again!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,622 Member
    Options
    All trainers have different philosophies. And you can get something different from everyone. I even train occasionally with another trainer to "pick their brain" and get new ideas.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition