Panda Express Serving Size?

lc504
lc504 Posts: 130 Member
I'm looking at the nutritional info on Panda Express's website trying to figure out how many calories lunch is, and had a question in case anyone knows.

How much is one "serving" on the plate if you get a two item combo? Would it be half the serving size of 5.4 ounces listed on the site or does that small amount actually add up to 5.4 ounces? *scratches head*

Replies

• I just say enjoy and don't worry about it , not saying go all out every day or anything like that but life is to short tow orry about calories :)
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    I just say enjoy and don't worry about it , not saying go all out every day or anything like that but life is to short tow orry about calories :)

Respectfully, I disagree. I don't know the answer to the OP's question, but I encourage you to find out. Losing weight and maintaining is about portion control. You need to know what one serving size is to best equip you with your lifestyle diet.

I would rather guess one serving size at Panda Express is at least half of what you're served. Their portions are large. But I really don't know.

Best of luck.
  • mrsvatitagain
    mrsvatitagain Posts: 275 Member
    Well we are here because some of us have to track our calorie intake to be successful at obtaining health. The serving they give you is about 5 oz even on a two item plate. Pandaexpress is very high in calories, as is most all chinese food and even worse in sodium! I would count the serving as per the site at the 5 oz, its not as much as you think. Thinkg aout a cup being the size of your fist balled up and that is 4 oz, they give you that much of everything, so its certainly not half.
  • coyoteo
    coyoteo Posts: 532 Member
    I would guess the only way to know for sure is to weigh it.
  • lc504
    Well we are here because some of us have to track our calorie intake to be successful at obtaining health. The serving they give you is about 5 oz even on a two item plate. Pandaexpress is very high in calories, as is most all chinese food and even worse in sodium! I would count the serving as per the site at the 5 oz, its not as much as you think. Thinkg aout a cup being the size of your fist balled up and that is 4 oz, they give you that much of everything, so its certainly not half.

Yikes, that's what I was afraid of! Shouldn't have been so naughty to get Orange Chicken as one of my two items. Looks like I have a date with a treadmill tonight :tongue: Oh well, I'll know better for next time.
  • mrsvatitagain
    mrsvatitagain Posts: 275 Member
    Oh yes, organce chicken is deep fried twice and it is so good!!! LOL:ohwell:
  • lc504
    I just say enjoy and don't worry about it , not saying go all out every day or anything like that but life is to short tow orry about calories :)

Well, ordinarily I wouldn't worry enough about it to make a topic, but I recently switched over from a 1 lb to .5 lb/week loss, so a difference of 200-odd calories a day can mean the difference between losing or not losing. Plus, I also agree with the others who have mentioned that it's important to know your serving/portion sizes!
    Oh yes, organce chicken is deep fried twice and it is so good!!! LOL

Curses on deep fried food for tasting good! Ugh. The worst part is I'm already fantasizing about all the fried seafood I want to eat when I get back down to New Orleans :tongue:

Anyway, thanks everyone for the help.
  • I looked up on the site it says a large ala carte box is three servingsfrom everything I can see don't go to Panda Express unless you're willing to spend a thousand calories in one sitting. figure on most if not all Chinese food being about the sameif you have to have it I would recommend you perhaps spend an extra hour on the treadmillor eat very carefully for breakfast and lunch.no to be honest if I'm going to have my special diet busting mealI would go out to a nice sit down Chinese restaurant and not waste my time with Panda Express.
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    you need to take it home one time and weigh it ..you will be surprised...this is how I found out most chicken breast are actually cut for two servings..i was so flippin mad lol
  • irishcurls22
    irishcurls22 Posts: 3 Member
    I always weigh it. I've even brought my scale and weighed it at the table! Enter your results and you'll know exactly how many calories.
  • One of the things I checked when I started watching my calories (again) was the Panda Express counts because I love it so much. And yes, it is very, very calorie heavy.

I eat it less frequently now!

When I DO have it, I know I'm loading up on the calories, BUT, I only eat about half the two item combo, which is plenty of food, and then I have more for the next day! If you get take out like I do, serve yourself half onto a plate and put the rest away. That way you won't be tempted to go back for seconds!
  • bluefish49
    bluefish49 Posts: 102 Member
    Replied to a two year old comment. deleted.
  • funkyspunky872
    funkyspunky872 Posts: 866 Member

HUH? Speak for yourself.

175 pounds (as of this writing) ago my life would have been a lot shorter if I didn't start thinking about the calories. I don't worry about them, but I do control them. My short life is going to be a lot longer as a result !

And... I occasionally eat at Panda Express, look at the calories on MFP before I go to to see what the lower calorie choices are. I don't eat the rice, and factor in the calories to be at/under goal for that day.

Is the rice poisoned?
  • The 5.4 ounces is one serving...ie one "spoodle" = one entree serving...whether it's a single entree, the entree portion of the bowl, or of the 2 entree plate. Broccoli beef is the way to go if you're counting calories!
  • bluefish49
    bluefish49 Posts: 102 Member

Is the rice poisoned?

No, but look at the calories. I just eat the 2 entrees.
  • StacyReneO
    StacyReneO Posts: 317 Member
    You can actually just build your plate on the website and it gives you the exact nutrition.
  • miriyaparino
    miriyaparino Posts: 2 Member
    One large entree side is 26 oz by volume (just measured it) and it also says "26" on the bottom of the box.
  • cappiebara
    cappiebara Posts: 3 Member
    Here is an example of a woman that went home and weighed it. Best bet is to weigh it yourself I think. I'm about to do that myself!

http://www.sparkpeople.com/mypage_public_journal_individual.asp?blog_id=4129787
  • Kmax3050
    Kmax3050 Posts: 1 Member
    I wouldn't normally reply to an old message like this. However, it seems that most people like Panda Express and want to figure out a way to fit it in. So here's what I do.

1. Get the 3 entree plate without any rice or chow mein. These items are where the majority of the calories and carbs come from. And, the plate is cheaper than buying 3 small entrees a la carte.
    2. The best 3 entrees to choose from are: Beef and Broccoli, Green Beans and Chicken, and Mushroom Chicken. These entrees are all under 200 calories for approx 5.5 oz which is about 2/3 cup. (MFP has the correct calories and serving sizes according to Panda's website.)
    3. Eat 1-2 two of the entrees one day and save the rest for the next day. Enter the entrees individually on MFP, not as a plate. If you eat half of one of the entrees, be sure to enter 1/2 serving size on MFP.

Panda Express is typically generous with the rice and the chow mein because it's cheap. Their profit margin is huge on those items. Over serving it doesn't cut into their profit. Conversely, they typically under serve the entrees, because it costs them more money to make. Their profit margin is smaller on those items. So they aren't going to waste it or give it away. So, it is safe to assume that you will get less than the portion size you are paying for, as the article above demonstrates as well.

I hope this helps. Good luck!
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    edited April 2017
    Kmax3050 wrote: »
    I wouldn't normally reply to an old message like this. However, it seems that most people like Panda Express and want to figure out a way to fit it in. So here's what I do.

1. Get the 3 entree plate without any rice or chow mein. These items are where the majority of the calories and carbs come from. And, the plate is cheaper than buying 3 small entrees a la carte.
    2. The best 3 entrees to choose from are: Beef and Broccoli, Green Beans and Chicken, and Mushroom Chicken. These entrees are all under 200 calories for approx 5.5 oz which is about 2/3 cup. (MFP has the correct calories and serving sizes according to Panda's website.)
    3. Eat 1-2 two of the entrees one day and save the rest for the next day. Enter the entrees individually on MFP, not as a plate. If you eat half of one of the entrees, be sure to enter 1/2 serving size on MFP.

Panda Express is typically generous with the rice and the chow mein because it's cheap. Their profit margin is huge on those items. Over serving it doesn't cut into their profit. Conversely, they typically under serve the entrees, because it costs them more money to make. Their profit margin is smaller on those items. So they aren't going to waste it or give it away. So, it is safe to assume that you will get less than the portion size you are paying for, as the article above demonstrates as well.

I hope this helps. Good luck!

You like Panda Express so much that your first post is a reply to a necro thread that you know is 5+ years old, to give advice on what to order? Now THAT is some serious love! :wink: Welcome to the forums.

(Get that you weren't the first or only one to bump it though, kudos for that at least I guess)