Is losing 20lbs in 6 weeks possible?

Options
13»

Replies

• chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    That means you would have to cut out 1666.66 calories a day. Assuming your caloric needs are about 1800 calories, and you are eating 1200 calories, that means you are in a deficit of 600 calories. 1000 more to go. Walking burns about 100 calories per mile or 20 minutes (estimate), so walking for an hour everyday would burn about 300 to 400 calories. At a maximum that leaves you with 600 calories more to burn. To burn 1000 calories in a day from exercise I would suggest using a combination of exercise videos and walking.

Walk for a burn of 300 calories a day and do an hour long exercise video. High-calorie burning videos include Jillian Michaels, Tae Boe, Zumba, etc.

I hope this helps, and good luck!

I would NOT do this.

And weight loss isn't linear. We track cals & exercise to get an estimate but no studies have ever shown that exactly 3500cal deficit has equalled 1 pound of fat loss. (And this is definitely not going to happen if you don't include any resistance training)

OP: do you want to lose weight or do you want to lose fat?

I wasn't telling her to do this. I was just giving the information she asked for. It is her choice to do what she wants. It looks like she decided to go for losing 2 lbs a week. I think that is great because it is safe and manageable. I realize that there is more to losing weight than 3500 calorie deficits, but myfitnesspal is based on 3500=1 pound.

All good :smile:
  • cryptonyt
    cryptonyt Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I am no fitness guru, just a guy who was 215 on Nov 8, and as of Monday Dec 19, weighed in @ 196. I did not lose exactly 20lbs, but close enough. I did not starve myself, I ate 5 times a day, but lo-cal, and nutritious with a decent supply of protein, and I took good multivitamins. I enjoyed each meal, and never really felt hungry. I ran every morning for 1/2 an hour, and worked out each night for about an hour (wow was that hard to find time to do). But in the end, it was 19 lbs in 6 weeks. Anyway, enough about me, I would say that if you want it bad enough to be disciplined in your intake and exercise, you can do it, as long as you have it to lose. :-) Best of luck to you, and never give up.

12768552.png
  • Johnny_Castle
    Options
    It's obviously possible but not very healthy...try setting your goal to 10 pounds...even that would be pushing it
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    there are a lot of ways to lose weight, some good some bad. please ignore the girls eating 900calories a day, they need to work through their issues, your body needs more than that, but YES, you will lose the weight that way.

unless you're really obese, and you aren't, there's no possibility of losing that amount of weight in a healthy way. max I've done is 10pounds in 4 weeks that's coming from 300pounds.
  • lilithe1
    lilithe1 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I think it's possible...will it take a ton of hard work and discipline? Yes.
    Personally, I don't pay any attention to the "starvation mode" myths floating around. Drives me nuts if we are being completely honest ;-P In all reality, I am a 5'3", 19 year old woman who leads a VERY inactive lifestyle. I sit at a desk from 9-5, do school work (sitting some more) from 5-9. I workout 5-6 times a week for 30 minutes over my lunch break, and burn roughly 260 calories in doing so. Other than that, my body really doesn’t NEED 1200 calories as suggested on this site. I believe that everyone’s body functions differently. To generalize by saying that you absolutely positively need to consume 1200 calories a day in order to “healthily” lose weight comes across as very controversial to me. Obviously a 400 lb woman is going to need more calories to optimally function/day versus a 5'3" 128ish lb me. You also have to budget in what type of activities you are doing throughout the day and how many calories you need in order to do them, etc. I eat when I am hungry, but choose lower calorie, healthier options so my total calories tend to be lower. I’m not starving, I am not fatigued; I am actually the opposite. Long story short, I don’t buy the 1200 calorie deal or starvation mode! We were all created differently!
    I believe you are on my friends list now that I think about it...I could take a look at your diary if you want and see if there is anything I see that could help you cut unnecessary calories?
    I’ve been at this for about 2 ½ weeks and have already lost 8 pounds. I think if you put your mind to it, you can do anything!

Just for the record, I agree with you, not everyone needs 1200 calories per day, especially people who have a sedentary lifestyle. If people take the time to actually calculate how many calories they are USING during an average day, some people will find that they use less that 1200. That means they need less than 1200 to maintain current body weight. Good for you for thinking about it logically (not EVERYONE is the same, people!!) and doing what is best for YOUR body type and lifestyle. You work out, you know how many calories you burn when you work out, and you are self-aware of what your body is telling you (ie "I'm not fatigued, I am actually the opposite"). Thank you for offering to help someone who is trying to reach a goal, and everyone else can just back off. :)
  • mrsdumbuya100
    mrsdumbuya100 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    If you lost 3lbs a week for 6 weeks, that would be 18lbs lost. Is that doable? Yeah but it might not be the most healthiest rout to go. My doctor doesn't want me to lose more then 2lbs a week. It usually takes me a month to lose 10lbs and most the time I lose between 7 and 8lbs a month.

The first week u lose 6 pounds in water weight. If you do diet restriction its normal to lose 2 pounds on ketos its normal to lose 3 to 6! Do your homework on it and you will get it. Im more healthier tham someone who smokes or use drugs according to my doctor
  • mrsdumbuya100
    Options
    You guys are right (and most likely more experienced with weight loss). 2lbs a week is healthier. That will leave me with a 10-12lbs loss by my goal date. I will stick to that :smile:

And for the guy that asked, I want to lose FAT.

keep eating right, do cardio and strength training, get plenty of rest, and you'll see a difference. i would recommend you don't eat 1,200 calories, and eat at least 1,400 instead. and re-eat those exercise calories.

trust me, i used to pretend to be a doctor to pick up women at bars.

1400 is doable thank u
  • mrsdumbuya100
    Options
    My wife, before getting pregnant lost a lot of weight at first by merely removing processed foods from her diet. It was hard as most of the things she loved she could not eat. But she lost a lot of weight. She had an issue with PCOS, was on medication for blood pressure and a heart condition. With her doctor monitoring, she got her PCOS under control, was able to stop taking the meds and still pass her quarterly physicals with her doctor. Over the course of 7 months, she lost 50 pounds. She worked out each morning, watched what she ate and ensured that what she took in was good calories (that included the extras as far as carbs, proteins, fiber, etc.). It has a whole lot to do with the content of what you take in and how you want it to work with your body.

My recommendation, based on what I have seen my wife do, is that you need to watch carefully what you take in (and that includes eliminating processed foods for at least the first couple of months). Your body will adjust to the healthier foods during that time and be in a better position to keep the weight off. After the first couple of months, you can add start to slowly add in the processed foods to achieve the right balance.

What I have found that works quite well is get ingenious in your workouts. There is nothing saying that you can't walk your dog with ankle weights. Playing tennis 2x a week with your husband will be good (not only to get in shape but to have a date). My wife and I would rock climb 3 times a week as part of our getting out on regular dates. Then children came along. :-D

Good luck on your goal.

Congratulations! Im so happy for your wife! That is awesome! Thank u for the advice...it was very helpful and encouraging! I Appreciate your comment alot
  • mrsdumbuya100
    Options
    It's possible but definitely not healthy! Plus you're much more likely to gain it all back when you rush things.

10lbs seems a much more realistic goal and even though it doesn't seem like much, it can make all the difference looks-wise especially at your weight :)
    It's possible but definitely not healthy! Plus you're much more likely to gain it all back when you rush things.

10lbs seems a much more realistic goal and even though it doesn't seem like much, it can make all the difference looks-wise especially at your weight :)

Why isnt it healthy?
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    This thread is 5 years old.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,087 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Yes indeed.

OP asked this question in 2011 - the. 6 week period she wanted to lose weight in has well and truly passed ;)
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    Holy Zombie Thread Batman!
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options

Six years old, actually. Brought back to life in the Holy Name Of KETOS.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

Doh! Ketos or Cheetos?
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

Who's bragging that she's healthier than someone who smokes or does drugs. Yup a huge achievement
  • Stockholm_Andy
    Stockholm_Andy Posts: 803 Member
    Options

That's no excuse for it's poor behavior. Even a 5 year old should know better.