Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Too much too quickly?

Every time I've committed to working out I never saw -any- results so I (happily) gave up and returned to my couch. When I worked up the willpower to give it another try last week it was the first time I've ever counted calories (1200/day) and I was somewhat horrified to find I'd dropped 6 lb in seven days :noway: I know the quick fix is to eat more so my weight loss is safer but I just don't understand why this happened. I thought the 1200 cal/day plan was reasonable, a lot of the time I don't log my snacks and I just assumed I was balancing out my exercise cals. I mean how precise are we supposed to be with calories-- I hate using cups to measure out my food!

Anyway, I just feel like I'm doing this wrong. It's not like I'm unhappy about shedding a few pounds, but I don't see the point if I won't be able to keep it off long-term. Any words of wisdom would help. ::huh:

Replies

• BlueLikeJazz
    BlueLikeJazz Posts: 219 Member
    Losing a bunch of weight the first week or two when starting a new eating/working out lifestyle is extremely common. A lot of what you shed is water weight. Don't worry, it WILL slow down.

Also, I'm a huge proponent of measuring out your food. I'm usually a bit more lenient with this when it comes to non-starchy veggies (spinach, lettuce, cucumber, broccoli) but anything else I measure by weight. You'd be amazed how often a nutrition label says "Serving size: 1/2 cup (40 grams)" then you measure it out with a half-cup, but put it on a scale and find that it actually weighs 60 grams, so what you're getting is really a serving and a half. Those calories can add up quickly. And if you're not measuring at all? Even quicker. There are certain things that you'll probably get to the point where you can eyeball them, but I think in the coming weeks if you're not losing as quick as you feel you should be anymore, start measuring again. That's where extra calories tend to sneak in.
  • swilkie1961
    swilkie1961 Posts: 107 Member
    Don't worry! I lost 6lbs the first week too, then nothing the second week.. I am loosing, but slowly now
  • NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    It has been known to happen in the first week for some people because by changing up your lifestyle to eat healthier, you probably lost a lot of water weight, and that can account for the majority of the loss. However, it should slow now.
  • I lost 5 pounds every week for the first 3 weeks of my weight loss plan. It is completely normal when you start. Remember the more you have to lose the easiest is going to be at first when you devote yourself to the lifestyle change.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    you've gotta measure or weigh food until you're confident you know portions by sight, otherwise you're just kidding yourself about what you're eating! And, yeah I'd bet most of that was water weight, unless you're starving yourself there's no reason to think it's unhealthy.....
  • BobbyClerici
    BobbyClerici Posts: 813 Member
    Every time I've committed to working out I never saw -any- results so I (happily) gave up and returned to my couch. When I worked up the willpower to give it another try last week it was the first time I've ever counted calories (1200/day) and I was somewhat horrified to find I'd dropped 6 lb in seven days :noway: I know the quick fix is to eat more so my weight loss is safer but I just don't understand why this happened. I thought the 1200 cal/day plan was reasonable, a lot of the time I don't log my snacks and I just assumed I was balancing out my exercise cals. I mean how precise are we supposed to be with calories-- I hate using cups to measure out my food!

Anyway, I just feel like I'm doing this wrong. It's not like I'm unhappy about shedding a few pounds, but I don't see the point if I won't be able to keep it off long-term. Any words of wisdom would help. ::huh:
    Be happy with this and don't expect that 6lbs will be the norm.
    I lost this much my first weeks, but it levels off to a safe 1 or 2 lbs if you are working smart.
  • pinkgigi
    pinkgigi Posts: 693 Member
    It is common to lose a lot quickly in the beginning, it will settle down, don't panic, and congratulations!

GG
  • I was shocked also-I lost almost a pound a day for the first 10 days and now Im at a pound every 3 days or so in week three. I am not sure how this is happening- Im sticking around 1300 calories (net). I figure it freaked me out a little that that much came off so fast...but Im not gonna argue it either! Just got a little further faster than I had originally planned! Good luck!
  • _Tristan_
    _Tristan_ Posts: 221 Member
    I estimate everything but I usually over estimate food and under estimate workouts so hopefully the calorie gods don't get too mad and flag me for 15lbs. LOL! Keep at it and log your snacks because they count...
  • Ohhh... Water weight, of course, I don't know why that didn't occur to me! I really appreciate the reassurances, I just went into a bit of a blind panic when I stepped on the scale, I guess the true test will be what I can lose after this week!

Thanks for the replies! :flowerforyou:
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Definitely normal the first week. ( although I'm jealous because it took me 3 weeks to lose my first pound!) and I log and measure/weigh EVERYTHING I put in my mouth ( which I suggest you get in the habit of too) After reading your profile, just make sure you don't give your extra snacks to your kitty hehe ;).
  • FatgutBgone
    FatgutBgone Posts: 73 Member
    I lost 10 lbs. the first week and only about 1 lb. the week after. I know it is a pain to measure but it makes it easier here with the data base. After a while it will be automatic and you will be eating the same things and already have them in your diary and you can save meals that you have often. It is like exercise, the more you do it the easier it gets. !

Stay strong live long! -[-----]-

Walt.
  • just make sure you don't give your extra snacks to your kitty hehe ;).

Arghhh... I didn't realize my profile was viewable! That's not embarrassing at all... :laugh: Anyway, yes, if I'm making a lifestyle change then the cat's making one too. I refuse to do this alone ;)

...And if I have to count my food out in cups then fine! If everyone else is doing it and it works then I shouldn't be whining.