Vegetable Pie (How to use up your fridge's contents before h

Options
Ange_
Ange_ Posts: 324 Member
If you are like me and going away for christmas then you are probably trying desperately hard to use up what is in your fridge before going on holidays. Meat is easy to freeze, so mostly this is fresh fruit and vegetables.
Here is a good way of using up whatever vegetables you have in the fridge into a kind of vegetable pie or psudo-quiche.
I'm going to list what i used, but of course you can use almost any vegetable imaginable. I was also trying to use up vegetables that were ripe in my garden, and i also have the luxury of lots of fresh herbs, but if you don't feel free to use dried ones. The aim is not to buy anything!

My Ingredients:

1 piece frozen reduced fat puff pastry (optional, but if you don't use this it will be more like a frittata)
3 baby zucchinis
1 cup spinach
1 leek
2 brown onions
2 cloves garlic
2 fresh eggs
bunch asparagus
1/2 globe eggplant
handful of mint leaves
handful of oregano
2 lemongrass stalks
handful of italian basil leaves
splash verjuice or white wine
nutmeg
olive oil

Method:

First sauté the onion and garlic in a non-stick frypan. Add the chopped (and washed) leek and other vegetables add about a tbs of olive oil. On medium heat sauté until soft.
Add chopped herbs and nutmeg. Stir until wilted. Now deglaze the pan with the verjuice. Cook until all the liquid has boiled off.
Spoon into a pie dish. Whisk the 2 eggs. Pour over the vegetables. Stir through. Put a piece of pastry onto that fits the dish. Put in 200 degree oven for about 20mins or until the filling is set and the pastry is golden.

Replies