Knee soreness after lifting

Options
I just started a new lifting routine this morning & am noticing some soreness in my knees as the day goes on. The new routine includes squats, deadlifts, RDL, Bulgarian squats, sumo squats & lunges. None of them with much weight, as I'm still working on developing good form. Around 50 lbs on all but lunges & Bulgarian squats, when I used no weight.

I met with a personal trainer a few weeks ago and he taught me proper form for these exercises, but it's completely possible I was doing something wrong. I wasn't in front of a mirror.

The soreness is directly below my knee-cap, in the middle. I think it might be a liiiiittle swollen too... The strange thing is that I have felt a similar pain on the outside of my elbow after lifting with my arms. Like between the bones, where the "funny bone" is.

Is this normal? Like my body adjusting to a new exercise? Or could I be doing the lifts wrong & risking injury?

Replies

• KiyaK
    KiyaK Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Anyone?
  • schmitty8
    Options
    klya - what you have there is patellar tendinitis (also known as jumper's knee). I had it on and off forever, and know i sort of have it chronically. There are some things you can do to get rid or it/ease it. RICE. Rest - does not mean stop working out, but if it is really sore, ride the bike and be careful with activity that aggravates it. Ice - huge. go to walgreens, get a small ice pack called PEAS and an ace bandage and ice it once or twice a day for 15 mins at a time....you should be able to put it right on your skin, but if it si too cold, put a tshirt around your knee. Compression and Elevation - these would not hurt, but have 2 better ideas. 1) you need to strengthen your quad muscles as they will help protect your knees and keep that soreness out of your tendon. 2) do a google search for cho-pat knee brace and find the patellar tendon strap they have.....works very well and takes pressure off the tendon for exercising. good luck....
  • schmitty8
    Options
    by the way, i don't think you are necessarily doing these exercises wrong...lots of people get tendinitis.....you just need to treat the problem.