Greek Yogurt Question

Options
apesid
apesid Posts: 135 Member
I've just recently tried Greek yogurt.... and the taste... wow. Hoping I can get past it.

Anyway, on to the question. I currently have Greek Gods plain in the 24oz carton. There is only 4g of protein per serving (4oz). I thought the yogurt was known for better protein content. Do other brands have more protein? I should have checked while at the store... but shopping with 3 kiddos doesn't leave me a lot of time to check things!

Replies

• sillylily12345
    Options
    Chobani has extremely high protein content! And the vanilla is only a few more calories than the original flavor, and it tastes amazing with diced strawberries. I don't even like normal yogurt anymore!
  • rkr22401
    rkr22401 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Chobani Greek yogurt is my favorite. I tastes great and comes in many flavors. It's thicker than regular yogurt so it's more filling. Contains 14 g protein in a 6 oz cup. Plus I think Chobani gives 10% of its profit to charity.
  • currlygirrl
    currlygirrl Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Yes, other brands do have more protein. Actually that brand was my least favorite over all. My favorite is the Fage 0% plain, which I add some sugar free pudding mix and fruit to most of the time. Or I use it straight in the place of sour cream on things or in cooking. My other go to brands are the Dannon, and Athenos and I think that all of these have about 13 grams of protein per half cup. Hope that helps!!
  • buzzbug
    buzzbug Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I love Greek yogurt! I have tried a few brands: some taste good and some taste awful. (I haven't tried Greek Gods though.)

My favorite is Chobani Yanilla 0% Fat. They come in individual 6oz cups and taste great. Also, 16g of protein and only 120 calories per 6oz cup of Vanilla! (The strawberry and blueberry are 140 calories and 14g protein.) So good and worth the price!
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    Chobani IMO is the best taste and bang for your buck!
  • cricketannie
    cricketannie Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Fage is sooo good! I usually get the 2% with sides of fruit. Or the 0% and add some pudding mix or honey. They make great snacks and breakfasts. Also one serving gives you about 1/4 of your daily protein needs.
    Good luck!
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I don't know about the protein, but I like Fage the best for the texture. It's like eating ice cream, only not.
  • apesid
    apesid Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Thanks all! I guess I'll try a different brand next time :)
  • bbycarrot
    Options
    Chobani & Fage are my favorites :) For chobani 0% I like the raspberry, the pomegranate, the blueberry, the peach, & the black cherry. And Fage 2% is better than Fage 0% in my opinion. The chobani fruit on the bottom cups usually have 14 grams of protein & I think the fage 2% has 16 grams... I'm not sure though.
  • Alexis143
    Alexis143 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I LOVE fage 0%-- I put a spoon of truvia in it and some fresh raspberries / blackberries on top--- the key is to put some sweetener in it, whether it's sugar, splenda, honey, truvia, stevia, whatever. You could also add some cool whip free-- it makes it more like a dessert! mmm great breakfast- I put some uncle sam cereal in it too for extra fiber if I'm really hungry! Ate it all through pregnancy!
  • Ant_M76
    Ant_M76 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I love it with raspberries/ blueberries slung in. Maybe a banana (small 90cal;-) and spoon of honey is also awesome but a little calorific!
  • radix89
    radix89 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I used to eat the chobani but then tried the fage and never went back. I like mine with strawberries, blueberries, all bran and appendage to sweeten. I also found it works great as a sour cream substitute.
  • ShrinkinMel
    ShrinkinMel Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    put some honey in it. :) I love the Greek Gods honey flavor the most. I got the non fat plain in the big 24 ounce container and added my own.

I didn't care for the chobanni that much and haven't tried Fage yet. I don't eat it often because I am lactose intolerant and greek yogurt seems to bother me more than the regular kind used to.
  • Deckershann
    Deckershann Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Chobani plain non-fat yogurt has 18g protein, only 7g sugar, and only a total of 100cal in a 6oz. single serving. Absolutely love this plain, with granola, frozen strawberries, or as a salad dressing with pepper.
  • lumberjacks94
    lumberjacks94 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I have one Greek Yogurt every morning at my overnight job. I will alternate between Fage, Chobani and Oikos depending on which one is a dollar or less at the store that week. Usually I can find one of them.

I haven't had regular yogurt in many months now so I wonder what that would taste like. I have to admit, I'm surprised I like it so much because I'm a picky eater. I think it's one of my highlight eats of the day now!
  • jwintonyk
    jwintonyk Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    In my area I buy either the Liberte or Danone...each has about 17g protein in a 3/4 cup serving. As for the taste, adding fresh berries will sweeten it up nicely, or if you want to treat yourself add about 1/2 Tbsn of pure maple syrup (not the artificial stuff) and a dash of pure vanilla extract...
  • MDWilliams1857
    MDWilliams1857 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    If you can get past the taste, thats the trick. I couldnt. The stuff is terrible. A lot of people like it and I heard from all kinds of people that I had to get it and try it so I did, bad mistake. I think it might be the worst thing I have ever tasted.
  • RainbowDream83
    Options
    The only greek yogurt I have tried is the Chobani Pineapple. I loved it!

I'm thinking of trying the plain, but worried it might taste different and i wont like it? Anyone know? lol
  • live4turns
    live4turns Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Definitely go with Fage (0%). More macros and tastes great with diced ___berries. Also, I don't like how Chobani's fruits are prepared/preserved or however they integrate their fruit into the yogurt.
  • staceyb2003
    staceyb2003 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    My fave is Fage 0% 13g of protein 120-140 cal. and it fills me up. I just bought some Chaboni, I haven't tried it yet. I didn't like most of the other Greek Yogurts but I did like the Fage.