Slow cooker virgin- recipes needed!!

Options
I bought my first slow cooker yesterday!! It's lovely and shiny and full or potential... Yet apart from stew I'm a bit flummoxed as to what to throw in there!!

Any tips or recipes greatly appreciated!!

Thanks xxx

Replies

• ShadowSoldier23
    ShadowSoldier23 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I bought my first slow cooker yesterday!! It's lovely and shiny and full or potential... Yet apart from stew I'm a bit flummoxed as to what to throw in there!!

Any tips or recipes greatly appreciated!!

Thanks xxx

i really wish I could help because I just used mine for the first time for green beans/onions and bacon last night. lol. something simple. but if you hit search and type crock pot you will find loads of threads with recipes :)
  • EroseT23
    EroseT23 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    http://www.skinnycrockpot.com/

This is a pretty good site and the recipes include the nutrition info. Have fun! Once I started using my crockpot, I never stopped. =)
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    I've emailed you my recipes for pulled pork, chilli, chicken curry, spaghetti sauce and rice pudding, hope you like :smile:
  • nikicrin
    nikicrin Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Aw brilliant thanks guys! Your message hasn't come thro yet em but it came up on my phone as an alerts so may just take a while (it did this to me the other day!) so thanks they sound perfect!

And il be sure to check out that website... Even the knowledge a crock pot is same as a slow cooker is great!! Xx
  • lc504
    lc504 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I made this brisket a couple days ago served with sweet potato and green beans, and it was delicious! http://www.food.com/recipe/smoky-barbecue-beef-brisket-crock-pot-150850 Any meat cooked for hours in the crock pot will probably be delicious, actually.

Skinnytaste.com also has some good crock pot recipes, look for the category in the sidebar. And chilli is always a winner. Have fun! I love my crock pot :smile:
  • clur85
    clur85 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    hey hun if you search in the forums for 'slow cooker' and 'crock pot' you will get tons of answers - i was reading through one last night :) x
  • live4turns
    live4turns Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Also, invest in a cookbook. Seriously, it is sooooooo worth it, or just go to your local library and borrow one.
  • dargytaylor
    dargytaylor Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/403100-what-s-in-your-crockpot-right-now?error_user_id=12094624&error_username=dargytaylor

not sure if i put the link in correctly, but check out the post that i posted........6 pages!! lots of good recipes and ideas!
  • hmuh
    hmuh Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    You'll LOVE you're slow cooker! When I'm not sure what to make, I'll just throw some boneless skinless chicken breasts in it with a can of diced tomatoes and seasonings. You can add chili powder, chipotles, and cumin for southwest style or add basil and oregano for more Italian type flavor. It's so easy and versatile. Happy cooking!
  • DWilbanks
    DWilbanks Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    If you go to amazon and do a search for crockpot cookbooks, they have a lot. They have everything from regular, eating healthy, and even vegan. I use mine for pot roasts, spaghetti sauce, to lasagna.
  • fisherlassie
    fisherlassie Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Experiment!
  • MadeToCraveHIM
    MadeToCraveHIM Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Here's my favorite Crockpot site: http://crockingirls.com/
  • debloves2ride
    Options
    I love a crock pot - my kids favorite is crock pot chicken. Just throw in a chicken (cut up) and onion, celery or what ever you want. let it cook all day. take it out and debone it. while you are doing that you can add some thickening agent (flour, cornstartch) put the chicken back in - server over rice, potatoes, biscuits - or plain in a bowl. yummy!

can do the same with a less expensive cut of beef also - ok - made me hungry, now I have to go home and cook!
  • mroger801
    Options
    I love mine since I can set it up in the morning before work and come home to a hot meal. The possibilities are almost endless.

One recipe I enjoy is for chicken. I throw in boneless, skinless chicken breasts (4-6 work well because you want to make sure they are going to be cooked) with a can of diced tomatos (any seasoning depending on your taste or you can dice the tomatos yourself) and let it sit all day on low. Make sure you put the tomatos and seasoning on top of the chicken so that it gets absorbed throughout the poultry. The chicken is tender and juicy when you get home.
  • michie27
    michie27 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    bump; so I can check out the sites later.
  • HMD7703
    HMD7703 Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    http://crockingirls.com/recipes/main-dishes/

You can pretty much make anything and everything in the crockpot.
    One thing I would suggest, buy the liners. They make clean up so freaking easy!!!
  • Newf77
    Newf77 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the world of slow cookers, I love mine so much I own multiple units and sizes. There is so much you can do with them and they are time savers. I did a party once where everything from appetitizers to desert {including beverage} was slow cooker cooked. I will pull and send some recipes when I can.
  • emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Bump

I wrote the blog called the "Cooking Virgin"
    I have nothing to add but certainly can use all of the help I can get
  • LavenderBouquet
    LavenderBouquet Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    If you like pork, I've made this dish quite a few times:

Ingredients:
    Can of condensed mushroom soup
    Potatoes
    Carrots (optional)
    Pork Chops

You can put a bit of butter or non-stick spray on the inside if you want, I didn't.
    Then layer the ingredients: Potatoes/Carrots on the very bottom, then the pork chops, then pour the mushroom soup all over the top. Cook on low for 6-8 hours.

Me and my family really like this and the pork just falls apart, it's great!