Cooking with cottage cheese

Options
2»

Replies

• kent4j
    kent4j Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I know you prefer savory but I made these and my family liked them.

Blueberry Oat Pancakes with Maple Yogurt
    Yield: 2 servings of 3 (3-inch) pancakes and about 1/2 cup yogurt mixture
    Ingredients
    1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
    1/2 cup low-fat cottage cheese
    2 large eggs
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1 cup blueberries
    Cooking spray
    3/4 cup plain Greek-style low-fat yogurt
    1 tablespoon maple syrup
    Preparation
    1. Combine oats, cottage cheese, eggs, and vanilla in a blender or food processor. Process until smooth. Gently stir in blueberries.

2. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Spoon about 2 tablespoons batter per pancake into pan. Cook 3 minutes or until tops are covered with bubbles and edges look cooked. Carefully turn pancakes over, and cook 3 minutes until golden.

3. Combine yogurt and maple syrup; serve over pancakes.

This recipe is from Health's The CarbLovers Diet
    Calories: 410
    Fat: 12g
    ( Sat. 3.5g, Mono 3g, Poly 2g)
    Protein: 26g
    Carbohydrates: 50g
    Fiber: 6g
    Cholesterol: 220mg
    Sodium: 330mg
    Rs: 4.6g
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I've substituted ricotta with cottage cheese in lasagna. It turned out pretty well.
  • LMHinson15
    LMHinson15 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Wow! I need to copy all these recipes down!

There's one I used to use a long time ago... but can't find the specifics. It's pretty easy.

Cottage cheese + your favorite fruit or combination of fruits + a blender

blend until smooth (I used to add just a little sugar, now I might add some honey, or nothing at all)

Pour into portion sized cups, and freeze!

It's like frozen yogurt. And super yum!
  • outtanms
    outtanms Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    bump for later....thanks for sharing.
  • embersfallen
    embersfallen Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    bump for later

I know the simply kraft 2% tastes creamier then most other brands... VERY much like ricotta... I will sometimes cook half of a serving of wild rice and orzo, veggies and cooked chicken... dried basil and a lil' spinach in the microwave... add a touch of olive oil, and then after it is cooked add some cottage cheese and mix it up.... i know it sounds really odd...but with that little bit of spinach and olive oil and basil... it is super tasty!!!! the cottage cheese because of the curds seems to make it seem like there is more rice then there actually is...

a similar thing with some cut up ham is also REALLY good!
  • fakeplastictree
    fakeplastictree Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I've substituted ricotta with cottage cheese in lasagna. It turned out pretty well.

Same here. I did this before trying to eat better. It turns out way better.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    What are your favourite recipes which use cottage cheese in place of normal cheese or cream?

Does cottage cheese melt well? Strangely, I have never really attemtped using it since I started my new healthier lifestyle.

I'm quite a snacker, so both snacks and main meal ideas would be most welcome.

I've found a few nice recipes on google but I'd like your ideas too.

PS. Savoury is my thing, sweet not so much.

Thanks!

Do you like yogurt, such as plain fat free Greek yogurt? Cottage cheese is high in sodium so I use half and half (half yogurt and half cottage cheese), and I add a tablespoon of sugar free Smuckers preserve. I prefer boysenberry for this mix but you can use peach or apricot too. It is a very good protein snack, and you can also add nuts or some kind of cereal for crunchiness
  • eeebee
    eeebee Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Such great recipes and suggestions, you guys have been most helpful, I really appreciate your input everyone.

I'll give them all a try, both savory and sweet ones, they all sound delicious.

Next post, Greek yoghurt.

Thank you! :drinker:
  • it_be_asin
    it_be_asin Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I have used both ricotta and cottage cheese in lasagne, but I don't see the point substituting cottage cheese for ricotta unless you like the taste of cottage cheese better. Low fat ricotta is also an awesome source of protein that is low in calories, fat and moderate in sugar. I am surprised ricotta cheese doesn't get more MFP love. I eat lots of cottage and ricotta cheeses.
  • OhThatBlonde
    OhThatBlonde Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Bump! I used ricotta so I'm interested to look into cottage cheese. Thanks!!!