POLL: Who here plans a menu for the week?

Options
My DH thinks I'm obsessed because I plan out a menu for the week, he just doesn't realize that not only does it keep me on track BUT it truly helps keeping me in budget at the grocery store so I only buy what I need to make those meals.

Does anyone else go to that kind of detail for planning meals for the week?

Replies

• RainbowDream83
    Options
    If it keeps you on track AND helps you keep in budget..
    Why wouldn't you?
    It's not obsessive, it's a smart thing to do :)
  • myshell26
    Options
    I do this as well. Only because I can plan what's on sale, match some coupons up for extra savings and know that I will eat right for the week. The weekends are where I get in trouble. :tongue:
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I don't go into a lot of detail, but I do plan at least 2 or 3 meals to make from scratch at home, and I list out all the ingredients when we go shopping. I also plan on healthy snacks, like fresh fruit, or veggies to take with me to work.

I don't think it's weird at all. The best way to eat healthy is to know ahead of time what your options are. I will not pig out on junk food my coworkers are offering me when I know that there is a nice meal at home all planned out.
  • steffiejoe
    steffiejoe Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I have been planning out my weekly lunches for work. I cook up my food on Sundays and put them in tubberware. This saves me time and keeps me on track with eating clean.
  • Strobins05
    Options
    I do!!! I plan ahead and buy what is needed for the week. On Sundays I precut my veggies for my morning omelets and make my sauces if needed for salads.
  • jwintonyk
    jwintonyk Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    We plan dinners only, then buy what we need based on the menu and what's in season...it saves us a ton of money and keeps us on track. For breakfast we tend to keep to the same foods for ease of schedule and lunches are leftovers or salads...
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    I don't necessarily plan a menu, I just eat the same things during the week. My breakfast, lunch and snacks are generally the exact same every day Mon-Fri. The weekend are where things get a little different. I started this Monday, so I'm hoping I can stick with it throughout the weekend as well.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    i do.

your dh should be happy that you don't plan for a month, and end up eating foods from the freezer !!! i know people like that !!!
  • justme84x
    Options
    i sure do plan!! what better way to keep on track with my eating than to sit down and plan it all out!? That way there is never a time when I don't know what to eat and just grab the closest thing to me cuz I'm hungry!! :)
  • dixonkk
    Options
    We go grocery shopping every Sunday, so on Saturday I plan the menu for the week. That way I won't have to freak out trying to decide what to make for dinner each night and I'll know exactly what to get at the grocery store.
  • Poohsta0
    Poohsta0 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I have done a menu for years- single parent with two kids budgeting was paramount. Recently, two weeks on MFP, it is also a diet manager!
  • Pams_Shadow
    Pams_Shadow Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I do too! I have for years and years for all the reasons everyone's already listed.
  • ojell
    ojell Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    I need to, but I don't.
  • kmcgrath1
    kmcgrath1 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    So nice to know I'm not alone with this!
  • nickssweetheart
    nickssweetheart Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    I plan dinners only. Breakfast and lunch are easy--we just keep oatmeal, eggs, fruit, carrots, whole wheat and 9grain bread, peanut butter and lunchmeat on hand, and sometimess we change it up with something like a leftover chicken thigh.

I usually plan 4-5 dinners. Friday is leftover night, and Wednesdays I eat out with my dad, and I have a date night with the boyfriend where we either eat out or cook a special meal together, which he does the shopping for.

I meal plan so I can shop all at once. I don't need to test my willpower by shopping more than once a week. Every extra stop for an ingredient on a random Tuesday night after work is one more time I have to walk past the potato chip aisle, and that's much harder to do when I'm tired and hungry!
  • MelanieAG05
    MelanieAG05 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    i plan my lunch and the household dinners so i don't go out and buy a load of shopping from which i can only make one meal! it also helps with planning my diet as well!
  • 126sarahw
    Options
    I always plan my menu for the next 3-4 days as it helps me use up food in the fridge (I hate waste) and also keeps me on track, I know what I'm having and stick to it!
  • Kimmer2011
    Kimmer2011 Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I absolutely plan out (for health and budget reasons) for the week, but I don't always stick to it 100%.
  • PennyNickel14
    PennyNickel14 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    I plan the dinners for the week . It really helps me with the lists - There is nothing more infuriating than sitting around and playing the "what do you want for dinner? I don't know what do you want game!" - at my house this is a problem. I always have a meal plan and for breakfasts i pretty much eat baked oatmeal all winter and eggs and salsa all summer. Lunch is usually left overs from the night before.

It really does help budget and saves a ton of time.
  • BobbyClerici
    BobbyClerici Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Not me.

I like to go where my mood takes me given certain boundaries that keep me heading in the right direction.
    If I plan lean chicken on a day when I am in the mood for broiled salmon, guess what?

I go with the salmon.