Very discouraged!

Options
2»

Replies

• LuciaLongIsland
    LuciaLongIsland Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Bob Greene has been Oprah's personal trainer for years now. He has had a long experience in the field of health & fitness. Also he is known for the fact that his weight loss tips are not very rigid and hard to follow. They easily get merged in your daily routine and help you get that dream body.

Here are some tips from Bob Greene for weight loss for women over 60:

· Initially one must understand that weight loss for women over 60 must be slow & steady, not a rapid one. It is a vulnerable age that puts you to risk of many ailments including chronic ones like cardio vascular and diabetes.

· This also implies that one should not take any chemical diet supplements as they have innumerable side effects.

· Now first they should do is to get done a complete medical check up. Some times the weight gain is due to certain diseases, so you must be aware of those & use any weight loss diet accordingly.

· Next, take a balanced diet. Take 6 short meals well on time and do not avoid them. Take lots of fibers, proteins & vitamins. Avoid trans-fat and excess of carbohydrates. Avoid proteins after the afternoon meals.

· Drink lots of water, at least 10 glasses per day.

· For women over 60, weight loss can become easier with natural diet supplements like acai berry and resveratrol. Both these diets are also known for their anti aging benefits.

· Take lots of raw fruits & vegetables in your daily routine. Avoid red meat and in place of them have lean proteins.

· Majorly avoid sugar. In stead use honey & apples. For flavoring the food in place of spices use cayenne pepper, lemon, honey and low sodium salt.

· Do not smoke. Avoid alcohol. You may take some sips of red wine, as it has rich reserves of resveratrol. But it also shoots up the blood sugar levels. So its better to avoid that as well.

· For their over all fitness & weight loss the women over 60 must also go for a walk every morning and before they sleep in the nigh

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/2275520
  • 1CrazyFlower
    Options
    I've been on weight watchers since last June and my starting weight was 345.4 pounds and now I am down to 297.4 pounds. Weight Watchers really provides the education required never to leave me frustrated and I'd recommend it to anyone, especially if I can do it! I just started tracking my food water and exercise on here too and burn off more than I consume and it has made all the difference in the world. I eat the minimum points plus 2012 and burn off more calories than I consume to jump start weight loss. Good luck to you and don't get frustrated and if you do, turn it into positive motivation :) Dr.Oz has tips for weight loss at any age as well :)
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Have your hormones checked. I couldn't lose any weight until I found out my estrogen and cortisol levels were way too high.
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    You can always open up your food diary. Let's see what's in there. The folks on my buddy list are always willing to give me feedback on what I've been eating.

Also, keep an eye out for sodium. I was stuck at a plateau for a while and couldn't lose anything until I increased my water intake and reduced my sodium. I still have bad days but I was really surprised at what kind of impact it was having.

Good luck.
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    Sometimes you don't loose weight because you are actually gaining muscle (it weights more).

1 lb of muscle does not weight more than a 1lb of fat, a pound is a pound just less mass or leaner

Exactly.
    1lb of fat takes more room to fill in the body than 1lb of muscle...hence the 'you look leaner'

You can't GAIN MUSCLE in a caloric deficit.

first - whoever brought up that muscle and fat weigh the same, don't be a jerk. We all (Including you) know what they meant by that and correcting is just being mean.

2nd - I'm pretty sure you can gain muscle while in a deficit, just not much.

http://exercise.about.com/od/weightloss/f/losefatgainmusc.htm

Ok, ok......in the very beginning maybe one can gain muscle in a caloric deficit. She said she's been at it for 7 months. :frown: I'm just tired of people suggesting this as a reason why someone isn't losing.
  • Strobins05
    Options
    Talk to your doctorto make sure your thyroid is functioning like it should, and make an appointment with a dietician to go over your diet! I know your frutration!
    ^^^ I second this! Keep being active with your workout routines and eating enough balanced meals per day. After you know more about your body you can then plan a better workout and meals to lose the weight. You are doing a great job and staying the course, keep it up! :flowerforyou:
  • JulieF11
    JulieF11 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I know what you are going through! I've been there!

When I used to be part of Weight Watchers, I would pretty much starve half the week, before weigh-in and then eat way too much on the day I weighed in (after the meeting of course) and the day after, and I actually followed the plan for two days. I was exercising too. It was so frustrating when I couldn't see the scale move. I was miserable for five of the seven days! I came to realize that what I was doing wasn't working. I had my thyroid checked and to my dismay, I was normal.

When I made the decision that I was indeed going to make it work, to really get it right, is when I started tracking everything that went into my mouth all seven days. On some days, I realized I wasn't eating enough and on others I ate too much. Because I decided to trust the amount of calories I was allotted, I ate them all. I had to force myself a few times since I wanted to lose fast, and by golly, I wasn't hungry. But I needed this to work... and my old way of knowing better than the experts, didn't work. I realized eating all the calories each day, kept me from being starving, so I stopped the urge of over-eating other times... Now I still wanted to eat from a full bag of potato chips (instead of weighing each serving)... a full bag seemed so un-intimidating. However, I stopped that too. I weighed everything. I didn't even have a real "food scale" I used a postage meter scale. But it worked.

You may not have this issue, but I also had to deal with the reasons I desired unhealthy foods and what I'll call "frenzy" eating. I had to trust myself that I was strong enough to make good decisions regardless of what problems were thrown my way. I used to have a habit of just "not thinking" about ugly thoughts. Now I ravage them, take any lessons I can learn from them, and then make decisions about what I want to do next. I don't bypass any negative thought that pops in my head. When I started doing that, I started trusting myself more, and feeling like I was in the drivers seat of life. I also started to desire healthy foods. I'm not sure why that is, but it worked for me.

Anyway, there are odd reasons your efforts may not be fruitful... like thyroid disorder. But far more common is the answer that is more frustrating... ourselves. We miscalculate the amount of food we are eating, we don't count the sugar and/or cream in our coffee, we guesstimate our calories wrong, we forget to write everything down, a "frenzy" eating episode sabotages an entire week of discipline, etc...

You are on your way to success now. You have tapped into the most valuable source you could imagine... a group of people willing to share their successes and failures. I think of it like this... it took me many trials before I got it right. I'm no longer morbidly obese, but that's because I am in remission. If I let up for even a week, I start to feel the effects of unhealthy eating in my body. In fact, that's where I am right now... But since I never gave up, and this time I caught it before the scale or my clothes reminded me... I'll consider that a "win".
  • NeshBeMe
    NeshBeMe Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Maybe you've gained muscle, which is heavier than fat. Don't get discouraged. Have you taken your measurements to see if you've lost inches? Are you refueling your body after a good workout? There's many reasons for the scale numbers but stay focused, it will happen!
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Maybe you've gained muscle, which is heavier than fat. Don't get discouraged. Have you taken your measurements to see if you've lost inches? Are you refueling your body after a good workout? There's many reasons for the scale numbers but stay focused, it will happen!

Sorry youre wrong. Muscle does NOT weigh more than fat... 1lb of fat is 1lb of muscle - they weigh the same. Lean muscle mass takes less room than fat
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    So glad you opened your diary Angella....but give up the fast food! Do your own cooking it's much healthier! You either aren't logging in everything or you aren't eating enough!!! You've only been a member since December 2011, that's only a few weeks. Follow the program, eat your calories, give up the fast food and I am fairly certain you will lose weight!!!!