New Tattoo vs Exercise

Options
Good Morning-

I'm one of the newer men on MFP and appreciate new friends; however, I have a question for the masses.

I have a new tattoo that is still healing, but the process is going slowly and it is getting in the way of me being able to exercise (without risk of damage to the ink).

Does anyone have any suggestions to improve healing time?

Thanks,

-R

Replies

• superhippiechik
    superhippiechik Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    let it dry and crack. I know that sounds crazy but I swear it is part of the healing process. Keeping it too moist slows things down and fades the ink... Good luck!
  • mikituba
    Options
    Where is the tattoo located? and how big is it?
  • Bump! I want to know this too. Hoping to get one before the New Year.
  • Redfieldr
    Options

This particular one is from my left thigh to my abs (Session 1)

It will be to my chest when complete.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options

uhm first of all. pictures. heh. Try Origins precipitation extra, it's what I put on all my tats, it makes them feel good, keeps them hydrated. you could also try under armour compression underwear under your clothes, this would keep your pants from rubbing on it. I have one across my stomach from hip to hip, and it was a ***** when it was healing, wearing a seatbelt was unbearable!
  • mikituba
    Options

Try only using lotion on it when you're just out of the shower. Do you take any vitamins? Being healthy should help speed up the process. I also use A and D diaper rash ointment on all of mine just when I get out of the shower. Some people hate that idea, but it has worked beautifully for me..I'm about 55% covered and even my old ones still look new. Do not over moisten, but do not let them crack...when they crack you risk them healing with weird streaks and faded areas.
  • Jennloella
    Options
    oh and, good ink is too expensive to risk, if you feel like it's stretching and it bleeds, it will kick out the ink. I don't think there's anything wrong with taking it easy for a little bit.......
  • Redfieldr
    Options

uhm first of all. pictures. heh. Try Origins precipitation extra, it's what I put on all my tats, it makes them feel good, keeps them hydrated. you could also try under armour compression underwear under your clothes, this would keep your pants from rubbing on it. I have one across my stomach from hip to hip, and it was a ***** when it was healing, wearing a seatbelt was unbearable!

I will post pictures on my profile when it is finished. Promise. :)

I'm not new to tattoos... I've just never had one that got in the way while healing (where my pants rest on my hip/waist line is pretty annoying.
  • sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    let it dry and crack. I know that sounds crazy but I swear it is part of the healing process. Keeping it too moist slows things down and fades the ink... Good luck!

Please do NOT let it do this. This is the way that most artists recommend it healing, but it is AWFUL for the final outcome. I had al all black tattoo done on my foot and let it heal this way - ended up blotchy and awful. I got it redone and prevented this (which pretty much has to be done immeditately after it's done) and it's still completely flawless.

As far as your original question goes, there's not a whole lot you can do to speed it up. =(
  • sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Options

I'm not new to tattoos... I've just never had one that got in the way while healing (where my pants rest on my hip/waist line is pretty annoying.

SOLUTION: Don't wear pants :-p
  • horndave
    horndave Posts: 565
    Options
    I just got one a couple of weeks ago on my leg and it was healing slowly too. Literally had to let it dry out and crack, but I kept exercising. Calf muscles get a good work out running and doing squats. Finally got to the point 2 weeks after where it is all good.
  • Jennloella
    Options

SOLUTION: Don't wear pants :-p

well, there you go!!!
  • Josee76
    Josee76 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    You could buy a couple workout DVD's and workout at home in your underpants till it heals :)
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    I have a tattoo and I used Original A & D ointment (diaper rash cream). That was 4 years ago and I really don't remember how long it took to heal, but it looks great and I don't remember having too much trouble. I wasn't working out very much then either though...
  • darkrider42
    darkrider42 Posts: 5,337 Member
    Options
    When I got mine on my arm years ago, I put Bacitracin ointment on it *religiously*, several times a day, and it healed flawlessly. Not sure how you might do that and cover/protect one that covers as much of your body as yours though...that might be tricky. Sorry, I don't have any actual useful advice...
  • AmyLRed
    AmyLRed Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    wear a dress=No friction on your waist! :o)

In all seriousness though, you may have to let it heal more before you can work out. Bummer, but like a previous poster said, you dont want to ruin good ink.
  • tattooedtwiin
    Options
    If you rush it, you will be sorry. Exercise by walking or? something that doesn't interfere. I do have some experience in the tattoo department.
  • Redfieldr
    Options
    wear a dress=No friction on your waist! :o)

In all seriousness though, you may have to let it heal more before you can work out. Bummer, but like a previous poster said, you dont want to ruin good ink.

Wow... just wow.

When I'm at home I actually do lock the doors and run around naked as much as possible, but exercise for me is walking/jogging. I do like the idea of using workout dvd's, but the image of me doing jumping jacks in the nude sounds very... Unattractive (even for just me being at home).

<3 I love the help. I guess I'm just going to be patient.

I do expect 1 or 2 more sessions (including any touchup I may need).

I honestly will post pictures on my profile when it's is all done (and healed)
  • Redfieldr
    Options
    If you rush it, you will be sorry. Exercise by walking or? something that doesn't interfere. I do have some experience in the tattoo department.

It crosses my thigh/hip/waist/abs so all clothing rubs in one way or another... (except socks haha... I'm probably safe in those).
  • langababy
    langababy Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I know it might sound crazy, but when I got mine (on my hip, right where the waistline of my pants hits) the tattoo artist told me that I could put Bacitracin on it and then cover it with plastic wrap so that it didn't rub against my clothes. I taped plastic wrap to myself every time I wore pants for about 2 weeks and it healed perfectly. Just make sure to tape the plastic wrap on really tight so it doesn't rub and to clean it as soon as you're done working out.

hope this helps!