Running Outside vs Running on a Treadmill

Options
I mix my runs between outside and on a treadmill at my gym. I seem to have to put out a lot more effort to run the same speed inside on the treadmill than I do outside.

I can sustain 6+ mph outside for a lot longer than I can on the treadmill. (Always run at 1% incline on the treadmill) Anyone have the same issue? Any clue why its easier to run faster outside?

Replies

• afigueroa_pr
    Options
    You kidding? I have the opposite problem. My treadmill runs are easier than the ones outside. Probably because of the wind resistance, you're actually moving forward against air instead of staying put and just moving your legs.

:laugh:
  • smbakke77
    smbakke77 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    It must be due to the resistance on the treadmill as opposed to the ground not moving under your feet? I have the same issue as well.
  • MsP90X
    MsP90X Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem... I do much better and am more consistent outside
  • bshedwick
    bshedwick Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I think that may be it. That combined with a limited area to extend my stride.
  • NiciS72
    NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue. I think for me it's a couple of things. One, it's more interesting to run outside and see what's going on. And two, outside I can adjust my stride as needed whereas on the treadmill you have to hit a button to get the right speed and it's not immediate. Wish I had the magic answer as I'm not looking forward to being housebound soon when the sidewalks are icy here!
  • sjcply
    sjcply Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    It is easier for me to outside too, not sure why! I Hate the dreadmill, no scenery....its just boring! When I run outside, I lose track of time and when I am on the treadmill I am a clock watcher! I usually do my short runs on TM and make a point to do my long runs outside!
  • mwilbur27
    Options
    Running better outside might be because of your visual cues. Some people can push themselves further without knowing it when they can look forward and see that they are making progress. It's a mind game thing.
  • tank2260
    tank2260 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I run a lot better outside as well.

I think it is the environment more than anything. Running outside gets you somwhere and provides many other things to look at / think about besides how many more miles you have left.
  • Orrgarde86
    Orrgarde86 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I do almost all my running outside. I haven't been able to get on with a treadmill very well! I'm dreading it if the weather turns too bad, that I'm going to have to go on the treadmill...
  • drizzella
    Options
    I hate running on a treadmill. I think because I am constantly looking down at the numbers and getting frustrated. For me, running is as much mental as it is physical. So, when I am outside, I can tell myself, that if I can just get to the next tree or post, or landmark, then I can slow down..whereas on the treadmill, I feel like a rat on a rubbermat. So, then I just find myself watching the numbers thinking..surely I have gone such and such miles... Plus, outside, I don't feel so self conscious of the treadmill making all it's rickety noises of the 300+ people that have slammed on it before me, that may have loosened the bolts that cause it to make that horrible loud "WOMP WOMP" noise. Or is that just me, that is making that noise? Outside, I can do speed drills and really feel powerful. At least that's my take.
  • live4turns
    live4turns Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Adrenaline...soaking in the natural atmosphere around you. There is no doubt this does it for me.

...and a good playlist :D
  • sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    Physically, it's actually easier on a treadmill becuase you don't have to propel yourself (because the ground is moving for you). It's mostly a mental struggle. The distance is sitting there in front of you, along with your time and pace. You think more about the effort as opposed to getting swept up the scenery etc.
  • farmgirlsuz
    farmgirlsuz Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Maybe its just because there is so much more visual stimuli when you run outside that you aren't concentrating on the numbers on the screen in front of you. I have noticed when I am watching something I am interested in on the TV monitor that my runs fly by but if I am constantly checking to see how close I am to "done" it takes forever!
    Also, when you are running outside you are probably going up and DOWN slight slopes, something you are not doing on the treadmill set at a steady 1% incline, and that too does make a difference.
    Just my thoughts..
  • n_unocero
    n_unocero Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    in theory it should be easier to run inside. you're not going forward, no wind resistance, same incline, etc....

but i seem to run faster outside too. when i log my runs outside i average about a 8:30 mile/7mph, but when i go that fast inside it seems like i get tired much faster. maybe it's the boredom of being on the treadmil? when im outside i don't think about running, my mind wanders to other things, but when im inside all i think about is the time...and i can't wait to be done. so maybe it's just you enjoy yourself more outside which gives you more adrenaline to go faster?
  • bshedwick
    bshedwick Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    We are not even close to the worst time of year for bad weather here in Maryland, so I'll have to do the first part of my Half Marathon training at the gym on the treadmill, but I can't wait for the weather to get better so that I can run outside even more.

Got to be a mental thing. Staying in one place vs actually moving forward.
  • Delia_Jane
    Options
    I switch week to week, I feel different muscles tire after running outside, then another set when I start my week on the treadmill. My treadmill makes me work harder to keep up the speed that I use outside. I was thinking it was the mechanism itself isn't standard or regulated correctly.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I find the dreadmill far harder at the same speed than outside. For me it's a combination of no moving air - I overheat really easily - and lack of distraction; even great tunes or something on TV don't distract as many senses as all the sights, sounds, sensations and smells of the great outdoors as the seasons roll around.
  • jogdog
    jogdog Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I have the same "problem" as well and have asked that question before and never really found out why. I run slow, but when I run outside and use a gps to track distance and speed, my speed is consistently around 5.1-5.2. However on the treadmill I can never get to 5.0 and I usually am comfortable at a speed 4.8. I love running outside, but this cold, damp weather makes it hard for me and I will be moving to a treadmill soon, but probably capping my runs to 30 mins. Can't stand being on a treadmill for longer than that.
  • Mollydolly10
    Mollydolly10 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I'm the SAME way as the OP. For me, I think it's definitely mental.

Being on the treadmill all I have to really focus on is the numbers on the screen and the wall/tv in front of me. When I'm outside, I almost lose myself in the run, I'm not worried about my mph and all that, but I end up going much faster!
  • TNGURL
    TNGURL Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Yes, now that cold weather is here I am forced to run on my treadmill. HATE HATE the treadmill versus outdoor running. I have a beautiful park to run in during warm weather... obviously lots of scenary & distraction from the task at hand.

While on the treadmill, I have nothing to look at, but the screen & that's just uncool! Time passes so slow because I'm watching the clock & mileage count... I think I'm gonna start covering up the screen or something... LOL!

Honestly, I've even thought about moving it to another location in the room.... just to maybe do something different?? Who knows.... good luck to all of us during these l-o-n-g winter months!!