Body Pump Questions

Options
Could someone please explain BodyPump to me. What are the workouts like? What results have you seen?

Replies

• WeCallThemDayWalkers
    Options
    I just started a few weeks ago.

The class is pretty motivating and the music is fun. You basically do lots of repetitions of low weights using a bar with weights on it. They always do the same muscles group exercises in the same order. I actually kind of like that aspect, because it's predictable. They do squats, lunges, bicep curls, triceps extensions, pushup, bench presses, chest flies, etc. Easy things to master in a short time. Then, as you get stronger, you add more weight.

For results, I really do feel stronger and my muscle endurance is getting MUCH better (and quickly). I only went once/wk at first because my muscles were too sore for a couple of days. Now I'm comfortable with 2X/wk. I feel that it's making a difference, and I will keep doing it!

Most important part is to make SURE you have good form and don't lift heavy weights until you're really comfortable with the moves. You could hurt your knees or back by trying too hard. The class is definitely worth a try! It can be as easy or as hard as you want. You control the weight.
  • DizzyLinds
    DizzyLinds Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    I love BodyPump. Although it is strength straining it is more about muscular endurance. There are high reps in each of the tracks with maybe one break if you're lucky on each body part. It is a motivating class and you are encouraged to lift more after a few weeks. You go at your own pace but also try and push yourself to reach fatigue by the end of the track. each track lasts around 4 minutes or so and works through the major muscle groups in the body. I def feel stronger and i believe it will help improve leaness.

I would reccommend getting to the class early to ensure the instructor knows you are new and can guide you with technique. Technique and form is essential....get this right before lifting heavier weights.

let me know if you want any more info.
  • Maggie_Pie1
    Maggie_Pie1 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I love it - I go three times a week and have definitely gotten more toned, especially in my legs/butt - but I tend to challenge myself more on those tracks. I'm one of the few people in class that is like "Yay! Lunges!" without being sarcastic.

Having a good instructor is key, too. The instructor of the class I started with was awesome. She was fun, funny, and made it a point to learn everyone's name. She couldn't teach anymore, and we had several subs - one was from a class that teaches at the Y and she reminded me of the joker and she would talk to us in an extremely fake 'cheery' voice like a kindergarten teacher speaks to her students. Couldn't stand her. And then we had a guy that could never count to the music. He was ALWAYS off, and it drove me nuts. Part of the class is about controlled movements, and it's hard to do that when your instructor is finishing a four count move in 2 or 3 counts.

We have a good instructor now, so it's all good - but I almost gave up on the class for while there....

Anyway - take the class, you'll love the results.
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love body pump. I did it for 3 mos and the toning I have achieved is just amazing. You hit every body part during the workout. Start out with low weights, but steadily increase. I also lift on my own, where I go heavy because I want to build more lean muscle mass. It is a great way to get into lifting weights and you will gain strength. Before I started that class I couldn't do one male push up...I can now do 40 straight. Good luck!
  • daphnemoon
    daphnemoon Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I love it - I go three times a week and have definitely gotten more toned, especially in my legs/butt - but I tend to challenge myself more on those tracks. I'm one of the few people in class that is like "Yay! Lunges!" without being sarcastic.

Ha ha, know what you mean! I think once you see the amazing results from lunges you have to love them, though I think track 7 is really mind over matter. They are always going to burn, no matter how fit you are, so may as well tolerate them best you can.

To the OP, I've been going to body pump 3x a week for the past four months, and have been exceptionally pleased with the results. My legs and arms have been completely transformed by the class, and it has undoubtedly increased my metabolism.

Since becoming a regular attendee, I've been to lots of classes where "newbies" have been told to put quite significant weights on their bar, it was only in a class today that somebody new was told to stay light for the first class, and maybe even only use the bar to make sure form/technique are correct. This is definitely the way to go, always start as light as possible, there is plenty of time to increase later. Secondly, be prepared for it to hurt after the first time. The next day you will not be able to move (assuming you didn't *only* use the bar :wink: ) - walking down stairs and using the bathroom will present unique challenges!! But your body will adapt very quickly and you will really get into the class.

And yes, definitely go to lots of different instructors' classes, you will know straight away which ones suit you better. It might be the same choreography/music, but their styles will differ wildly, and so if you go to one class and don't like the instructor too much, keep trying because is such a fantastic class. I'm lucky in that I go to classes by three different instructors who all bring something different. Some places will offer 45 and 60 minute classes, if you have the option always go to the 60 minute classes, especially if you want to tone up your arms, because the 45 minute classes omit triceps and biceps, and if I can't make a 60 minute class I always notice it in those areas the next time I try lifting.

Bottom line - go go go! You will not regret it.