Trying on clothes...in my own closet

Options
In my closet are clothes ranging from size 12 to 18. As you can see I'm no stranger to food (love it!) or diets.
MFP has opened my eyes to what I was putting in my mouth (no more eating peanut butter straight from the jar as I surf the net).
I've managed to lose 13lbs so far and my pants are uncomfortably baggy. Where's the problem you say? I'm terrified to try on the smaller size pants in my closet. I think that if they still don't fit I'll be crushed and want to give up on trying to lose weight.
Am I nuts?

Replies

• tmm01
    tmm01 Posts: 137
    Options
    NO you're not. That first step into smaller clothes is scary. I went round for ages in incredibly baggy clothes before I tried anything new. To my surprise I had gone down two dress sizes (UK). Go on take that step you might pleasantly surprise yourself. I am now at the stage of having my 'new' clothes becoming baggy again. So am looking for cheap interim clothes again. It's a good feeling once it starts.:bigsmile:
  • lapongo_92
    Options
    dont give up, try on the smaller size clothes. wearing clothes that actually fit your body (instead of extremely uncomfy baggy pants) gives you more confidence you will look smaller and see some outcome of hard work! i say go for it! if they dont fit dont worry about it, make it your goal to try to get healthy enough to fit them. dont take it hard how ever it turns out 13 lbs is super amazing congratulations on such a good start! i would suggest try one size smaller and see how that goes. remember your doing great and there is no point now of giving up, cause even if those dont fit now they will later on if you keep working!
  • k9hrd
    k9hrd Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I felt the same way at first. Now I try on my too small box every 5 to 10 pounds, so I don't miss wearing something!
  • Hayesgang
    Options
    TAKE THE PLUNGE!!!

Just do it, start with the largest size and move your way down - I bet you'll be pleasantly surprised.

I just got rid of 15 pairs of jeans yesterday, I was scared to let them go because "What if" and it actually felt good, like letting go of baggage and trusting that I can do this.

Trust yourself and the hard work you have put into this.

:flowerforyou:
  • monih10
    monih10 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Try them on!! You may be pleasantly surpised...and if not.....it should give you more motivation to keep trying!! Just think about how cute you'll look in those smaller jeans or smaller dress!!!
  • mzkynd
    mzkynd Posts: 63
    Options
    I feel you, have had so many sizes in my closet over the year! I do get sad at times if I think/feel like I have been doing great, try on a pair of jeans and just can't get in them! BUT it does feel wonderful when I get into a pair of pants that I haven't worn in a while. One thing that I am doing is when I grow out of something is to donate it . that way I am not keeping my bigger sizes in my closet.
  • AussieNikki
    AussieNikki Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I love wardrobe clothes shopping! I bought so many nice, smaller clothes with me in the move from Australia and I hadn't been able to fit into them for years. Now I am in mostly size 6-10's, depending on the brand etc. I started out at size 18-20.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    You're not nuts! Something will fit too. I had everything from 8 to 16 and I waited so long to try on smaller clothes that I skipped all of my 14's and most of the 12's!
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    I'm terrified to try on the smaller size pants in my closet. I think that if they still don't fit I'll be crushed and want to give up on trying to lose weight.
    Am I nuts?
    Not at all. I wore baggy jeans for ages before plucking up courage, but it backfired on me because I'd jumped from a size UK16 (US 12) to a size UK12 (US 8), and didn't get to wear some really nice size UK14s (US 10) that used to be my favourites but which are now useless.

I'm thinking of throwing away everything that's too big for me, so if I put weight back on, I'll have the humiliation of having to go buy new, bigger, jeans. :bigsmile:
  • reactor25
    reactor25 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    This is one of the best parts about losing weight!! You get to 'shop' your own closet!! Personally, I didn't move down a size until I had lost over 15 lbs, but I carry a lot of weight in my stomach, so everyone is different. I know some friends who move down a whole size with just 10 lbs or less! Try stuff on. Even if it doesn't fit perfectly you might notice how much closer you are to having it fit! These NSVs are worth as much as scale losses :)
  • dibdobw
    dibdobw Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    No you're not nuts!!!!! I bought myself a pair of size smaller trousers when I first started and didnt dare try them on until I had lost 14lb. When I did: although they were tight, the fact that I could even get them up my legs, let alone do them up (whilst really breathing in!) was such a great spur to carrying on.
    Please try them on and use this a motivation and belief that you will succeed!
  • katyejean
    katyejean Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I'm nervous too! I have a pair of jeans that I wore when my boyfriend and I first met. And they slowly but surely got too small. The jeans I am wearing now fit, but not as fitting as I would like them to be. I've been debating on trying them on now, or wait a few more weeks!
  • CityOnAHill
    CityOnAHill Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    These NSVs are worth as much as scale losses :)

They are worth MORE than the scale losses! :happy:
  • soccer8s
    soccer8s Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    You aren't nuts at all....every little bit helps. I Love when I can move down a size!!!!

12658840.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Kellie82much
    Kellie82much Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the encouraging words. I didn't believe anyone would reply! I will muster the courage to try them on. Maybe tomorrow when everyone is out of the house : )
    By the way, I have family in the UK.
  • gabby840
    gabby840 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I hate shorts. I don't know when I came to that realization but over time I decided my legs still looked great in skirts but were embarrassing in shorts. They rode up when my thighs touch and that drove me crazy and made me self-conscious. I used to have a pair of 12/14 shorts that I got to wear for a brief period of time during a low weight point and after gaining the pounds they got thrown to the bottom of my drawer. I found them the other day and the first thing I felt was a pang of disappointment in myself. But I quickly rearranged my outlook and kept them just to put into perspective a good first goal. It's only two sizes but instead of being afraid to try them on now I'm realistic that I know they don't fit...but they will. Whether they want to...or not. :tongue: :bigsmile:
  • Kellie82much
    Options
    Well, based on the outpouring of feedback and support it seems like there's no time like the present!
  • Kellie82much
    Options
    Wardrobe clothes shopping! I love it! I've never thught of it that way.
    Where did you move to when you left Australia? I'm in Ontario, Canada
  • Kellie82much
    Options
    NSV? Sorry I need a translation.:smile:
  • Kellie82much
    Options
    Thank you for your words of encouragement...they brought tears to my eyes.