Vitamins

Options
What are some vitamins that are "safe" to get more than the recommended dose of?

I take a women's one a day, omega 3 and a folic acid, so I'm getting almost 800 mg folic acid a day, from my food in take I'm getting almost double the iron too.

I can't seem to find much on google

Replies

• seehawkmomma
    Options
    Not sure if this is a Vitamin but Fish Oil I take it and according to the doctors its supposed to do wonders. :)
  • TJAMES5
    TJAMES5 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    digestive enzymes are good if you consume a lot of protein
  • jmxxiiii
    jmxxiiii Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Not sure if this is a Vitamin but Fish Oil I take it and according to the doctors its supposed to do wonders. :)
    I know I get a lot from my diet, but I also take the supplments too, 3 times a day, I can tekk a HUGE difference in my skin if I miss a dose for 2 days (my hair,skin and nails will never adjust to the desert :[ )

I'll have to remember this questions for my doctor tomorrow :]
  • LilMissFoodie
    LilMissFoodie Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    While I think supplements are generally a waste of money, it sounds fine to me. Folic acid will just be excreted. Quite a lot of iron we ingest isn't actually absorbed and also there shouldn't be a risk of toxicity unless you have some specific medical conditions. A multi usually has much lower amounts than the recommendations, especially for those nutrients at risk of toxicity. For the omega 3 just need to follow the recs on the pack and should be fine.

Hope that helps.
  • shiseido_faerie
    shiseido_faerie Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    It's my understanding that any of the water soluble vitamins are safe to take larger does, because the excess not needed is easily flushed out of the system, but the fat soluble ones are not safe as the toxicity level builds up in the fat.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Almost any vitamin is toxic at a high enough dosage. The safest and most reasonable route is to get as much as you can out of whole food.
  • firesoforion
    firesoforion Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    If you get too much iron, it is bad for your heart, so be careful on that.
  • jmxxiiii
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • jmxxiiii
    Options
    While I think supplements are generally a waste of money, it sounds fine to me.

Luckily, I've been gifted with the ability to coupon, I haven't paid for a health products in a while!

So no wasting money if I'm getting them for free :]
  • plagirl227
    Options
    At those amounts you should be fine. You figure, prenatal vitamins give that much.... :-/
  • jmxxiiii
    Options
    At those amounts you should be fine. You figure, prenatal vitamins give that much.... :-/
    Ha, I've never even read prenatal vitamins, well not in a long time at least! I should do that next time I'm at the store, read the backs and compare the values.