my first diet - why didn't anyone tell me it would be this h

Options
I've always been overweight, at least, I have been since Jr. High School... But last summer, I just decided that I didn't want to be anymore.

I found a medical weight-loss clinic close to home and went to see them. The doctors worked with me to come up with a diet plan that worked for me. I also joined a women's only gym and have been doing a weight/cardio circuit a minimum of three times a week.

I started this program last August, and to date have lost 30 pounds. Sometimes I feel like that is a major accomplishment, especially since I now weigh less than I have since I was 13 years old. Then again, most of that 30 pounds was lost within the first 3.5 months of my program, and since then, I've been slowly straying off my diet and finding the weight loss is tapering off.

With over three weeks of not seeing my weight go down, my motivation is fading. I still visit the clinic once a week for weigh-ins, and so far the staff at the clinic are the only people in my life that have known about this major life change I've made. They suggested that maybe having some additional support could help get me back on track, and I think they might be right?

Replies

• corisan
    corisan Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I've always been overweight, at least, I have been since Jr. High School... But last summer, I just decided that I didn't want to be anymore.

I found a medical weight-loss clinic close to home and went to see them. The doctors worked with me to come up with a diet plan that worked for me. I also joined a women's only gym and have been doing a weight/cardio circuit a minimum of three times a week.

I started this program last August, and to date have lost 30 pounds. Sometimes I feel like that is a major accomplishment, especially since I now weigh less than I have since I was 13 years old. Then again, most of that 30 pounds was lost within the first 3.5 months of my program, and since then, I've been slowly straying off my diet and finding the weight loss is tapering off.

With over three weeks of not seeing my weight go down, my motivation is fading. I still visit the clinic once a week for weigh-ins, and so far the staff at the clinic are the only people in my life that have known about this major life change I've made. They suggested that maybe having some additional support could help get me back on track, and I think they might be right?
  • wilted6orchid
    wilted6orchid Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the mix.

If you want to get motivated this is the place. Like I told the last newbie, the site is easy to use and people are very encouraging of each other around here.
  • Georg
    Georg Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    This can be a very helpful place to hang out.
  • bugmagnt
    bugmagnt Posts: 150
    Options
    Way to go on losing the 30 pounds! You will get lots of advice, motivation, and support here. Welcome!
  • sassiebritches
    sassiebritches Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the Zoo.........:) Drink your water and come by my place to chat anytime :flowerforyou:
  • miasuperstar
    Options
    Congrats on losing all that weight!
    I know its hard to stay motivated when the reinforcers are not as dramatic but Its true! you'd be surprised how helpful it can be just to be around other people going through some of the same issues and this site has such a strong and supportive community with people from all different perspectives. I would also recommend that maybe you confide in some of the more important people in your life about your weight loss journey. I have never really talked about my weight with anyone but did let those close to me know that i was watching my calories so they would understand my actions and question them less. That little piece of info has helped me to feel less like I'm hiding anything plus I'm sure your loved ones what to congratulate you on your weight loss but may not know how to broach the subject.
  • stillkristi
    stillkristi Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    The great thing is YOU'RE HERE:flowerforyou: Its so great that you came here looking for help, because like everyone else has said, this is the place. Easy to use the website, great motivation from the threads. Lots of information, encouragement and support. Seems like you know what to do, because that first few months, you lost weight steadily. Do what you know works :happy: I've only been here a week myself, but all around us are people who have made significant changes in their lives! They are so inspiring! Good luck!
  • MOMOFTWO29
    MOMOFTWO29 Posts: 8,276 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome to MFP. You will love this site if you don't already. I love this site, it is so motivational, supportive, helpful, and everyone is so nice, and friendly. I just wanted to tell you good luck on your weight loss journey. You can do this.
  • MOMOFTWO29
    MOMOFTWO29 Posts: 8,276 Member
    Options
    sorry double post
  • Georg
    Options
    It's been a couple of days. How are you doing?
  • AnneElise
    AnneElise Posts: 4,221 Member
    Options
    Welcome. One helpful fitness tip is maybe to try mixing up your workouts. If you do the same one or two cardio workouts your body will get used to the motions and you won't burn as many calories. Plus mixing it up makes working out more exciting! Good Luck!
  • corisan
    Options
    It’s been nearly one week since I joined this site, and tomorrow after work I will have my weekly weigh-in. I’m feeling optimistic, mainly because having to fill in the daily exercise and calorie counters has been keeping me on track.

After joining last week, I decided to pump up my evening exercise regiment, and boosted my pre-circuit cardio to a minimum of 30 minutes. This morning I also decided to take advantage of the nicer weather and add a lunchtime power walk (20 minutes at least three times a week). So far so good, now if only I can start seeing results on the scale again!

I’ll update more tomorrow after my weigh in…
  • Georg
    Options
    That sounds like a good plan. Keep us posted.
    I sometimes avoid eating things because I don't want to have to log it in! :bigsmile:
  • corisan
    Options
    Whoo! 1.5 lbs since last Tuesday!

I think I'll treat myself with an extra splenda in my coffee tomorrow.