Synthyroid help?

Options
2»

Replies

• tecallahan
    tecallahan Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I've taken Synthroid for many, many years -- my docs don't want me to take generic. My doses have gone up and down, but I've never had any side effects. I don't really think it does much ... my waking temperature is 94 degrees and it does nothing to help me lose weight. If only it were that simple, eh?
  • sewedo1
    sewedo1 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I've been taking synthroid for about 8 years and I've had no negative side-effects....it's helped me to feel much better since my body cannot make sufficient thyroid hormone.
  • Fit4_Life
    Fit4_Life Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    I've been on Levothyroxine (Generic) for 8 yrs. No side effects. AND...it WORKS JUST AS GOOD as the name brand.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I'm on the generic, and I feel awesome right now. When my levels are off, I can feel it. When I'm on the right dosage, I feel like a normal person who doesn't need to nap all the time.
  • Cadenpet
    Options
    I am in pharmacy school and I have worked in a pharmacy for 5 1/2 years. Take it. There are so many side effects to hypothyroidism you don't want to go there. Higher cholesterol, weight gain, water retention, depression, goiters, and low heart rate. Just to get a start.

Your dosage may change a little at first till they get you regulated. This medication has a very small window of therapy which means just a few micrograms can really effect how it works. Which is the reason your doctor may tell you to stay on the brand Synthroid versus the generic levothyroxine. It is not because of effectiveness but more once they get you situated they want absolutely no new variables thrown into the mix even if it is a binder in the tablet or something to bulk it up and is completely inactive.