So what happens when you reach your goal weight?

Options
So after you get to a certain size - how do you maintain it? I am reading that when I am my goal weight I naturally burn 1500 calories a day. Even if I ran 30min a day (to burn 200 cals) that is still only 1700 I can eat without gaining weight! Is that really the only way to keep the weight off once you reach your goal? It almost seems like it isn't worth it to lose weight if I can't enjoy eating ever!

Replies

• MadeOfMagic
    MadeOfMagic Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Yep thats pretty much what it means, it made me sad when I looked up how much I wil have to eat, only 300-400cals more than I do now, I guess all you can do is make for it through exercise!
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    I pretend I'm an athlete in training for something or other and I keep on going. I hope, anyway. That's the plan. Maybe I'll even find a sport for middle aged, clumsy women and actually be in training!
  • rlwzgd
    rlwzgd Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I think after a point, it stops becoming a diet and starts becoming a way of life. When I'm not training for a race, I can eat about 1800 cals/day for my height and activity level. Most of the time, I hardly make that because all I want (yes WANT) to eat is fruit and veggies and lean protein. :)

But also remember, a low calorie requirement doesn't mean you can never go over. You can balance it with eating less the day before (or after - similar to calorie rotating that some people use to lose weight) or exercising.

Also, a bit of tough love here: think to yourself, what sort of habits with food made you overweight in the first place? In some respects, if you don't change those habits, then yes, your struggles right now won't be worth it because the weight won't stay off. Changing your relationship with food will make it worth it - and remember, you are definitely worth it!
  • Curvy1taliana
    Curvy1taliana Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    And don't get too comfortable and think you can eat whatever you want because you will gain all of it back and then some :cry: been there, done that
  • thinnerisstronger
    thinnerisstronger Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Just because you can "only" eat 1700 cals, doesn't mean you'll be hungry! If you're eating good food (lots of veggies, etc, you know!) then you should be getting enough cals for your body.
    Remember; your body is VERY smart! It knows what it needs! Personally, when I get to my goal weight, I'd like to quit the calorie counting business. It's become an obsession of sorts.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    This is why it's so important to focus on food choices over counting calories. If you focus on eating real non-processed foods, 5-9 servings of veggies per day, and plenty of protein, then you wont' have to work hard to limit yourself to only 1700 calories.

Also, only burning 200 calories in 30 minutes is abysmal. Get in better shape! You should be burning much more than that in 30 minutes!
  • BobbyClerici
    BobbyClerici Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    You set new, higher goals - that's what.
    Never reach a point where you're peaked out, because that's when you start the slide back.
  • frugalmomsrock
    Options
    http://www.shapefit.com/calorie-intake-calculator.html# <<I especially like the zig zag. It lets me have bigger days. :)

After I am done losing my fat, I plan to try getting just generally more fit. I'll eat lots of protein and concentrate a little more on strength (I only do strength a couple times a week right now).
  • cpow81
    cpow81 Posts: 114
    Options
    I've been on maintenance for a little over 2 weeks and have 1700 calories per day (more when I exercise) and I don't find it that hard to stay within my daily goal. I will continue to track for awhile until I feel comfortable, but will stay here and continue to support my other MFP friends.
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    This is why it's so important to focus on food choices over counting calories. If you focus on eating real non-processed foods, 5-9 servings of veggies per day, and plenty of protein, then you wont' have to work hard to limit yourself to only 1700 calories.

Also, only burning 200 calories in 30 minutes is abysmal. Get in better shape! You should be burning much more than that in 30 minutes!

+1

Maybe when you reach your goal weight don't be that strict with food but still monitor your weight.

If you start to gain weight then have a lean food week. One week of weight loss every now and then is better than one year of over eating and 2 years of dieting.
  • LadyOfOceanBreeze
    LadyOfOceanBreeze Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I pretend I'm an athlete in training for something or other and I keep on going. I hope, anyway. That's the plan. Maybe I'll even find a sport for middle aged, clumsy women and actually be in training!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: cute that:wink:
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I'm not really worried about what happens after goal weight. I've already managed to maintain a fairly large weight loss for 3 years without any special effort and my weight loss calories are really easy to stick to when I eat back my exercise. Even if I only get and extra 200 calories or so I'm sure I'd have no problem keeping this up for the rest of my life.

With proper planning you can eat a lot of food with 1500 ~ 1700 calories!
  • kevin3344
    kevin3344 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    MFP doesn't say you can't enjoy eating. It is simply a way to track what you're eating. In moderation, you can eat almost anything you like.

I didn't join MFP with really anything to lose; I simply wanted to improve my eating habits. I've set goals such as a half-marathon (done) and started 30 day shred.

So for me it was about improving where I already was, not necessarily to lose weight. Next year I have more races planned and I'm sure I'll think of other goals. MFP has made that possible.
  • LadyOfOceanBreeze
    LadyOfOceanBreeze Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    You set new, higher goals - that's what.
    Never reach a point where you're peaked out, because that's when you start the slide back.

this:heart:
  • froggzy1015
    froggzy1015 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I reached my goal in Sept and lost a couple of extra pounds. I stay anywhere between 118-121, usually right at 120 though. I think my maintenance cals are 1640. I'm 5'2. I enjoy food and drinks just not in the same way I use to. If I go somewhere and they have cake and ice cream, I have it. If I want a couple drinks, I have it. No need to stress, enjoy life, but hold yourself accountable! Now I know what to eat to be healthier and know that I can fill up on 1 plate instead of 2. I actually haven't logged since Friday and lost a pound. My next challenge is the new JM video Extreme Shed and Shred with a bunch of people on here. Those keep me super motivated! :drinker: Good luck!
  • WonderKP
    WonderKP Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    that's why fad diets don't work! I actually CRAVE healthy food usually, so it's even hard for me to eat my way up to 1700 calories a day (unless I go out drinking.) That's why you can't think the way you are.

***Losing weight, being and eating healthy has to be a LIFESTYLE change. ***

Think of how healthy your insides are with eating right and giving up the fried awful food and simple sugars. Just think if you continue your healthy eating habits how much longer and better your life will continue to be! (Don't think - 1700 calories, crap, I can't eat whatever I want). By the time you reach your weight you want, keep eating healthy!! (you should WANT to eat healthy and in moderation!) Have a small treat each day or once a week. I overall am maintaining my weight and I still consider myself eating what I want. sugary and greasy foods are not your life. Think of hobbies and fun things to do to get you not to think of unhealthy foods all the time.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    I found the answer for sure. I'm going to work to look like the women in this thread:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/424645-hot-women-with-muscles?error_user_id=12938175&error_username=MaraDiaz

I might have all the weight off within a year. But after that, it will still be years before I have a body like any of those women have!
  • EuroDriver12
    EuroDriver12 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Goal weight.....? Goal 1 hit 190... At 187.. Goal moved to 200... Once 195 goal moved to 210... Once 210 goal moved to 220-230... Then cut n ill be chasing BF% goals... First is 7%.. n im sure it will be a mever ending chase!!! Life is not about settling... Life is about always being hungry for more and going after it!
  • lucylou9701
    Options
    if u are looking at your BRM (basic rate metabolism) That is the amount of calories you can eat if you didnt even get out of bed so that is the amount of calories your body burns without even moving doing things like digesting food, breathing ect... Being up all day and doing things obviously raises that so most peoples maintance calories should be closer to 1900-2000 if u are not completely sedetary :)
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Yep, goal weights change. Strive for performance rather than a magical scale number IMO. If you increase in performance then everything else falls into place.