salt

Options
Ok so i admit it I am addicted to " SALT" I have been able to give up cigarettes , sugar , coffee , BUT not Salt , I even went to the movies with a friend of mine and ordered pop corn Ii did not want the pop corn I craved the salt . Iam cutting down slowly , but Iam looking for an alternative . IS THERE ONE ?:explode:

Replies

• fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,311 Member
    Options
    I don't even bother. If you give up everything you enjoy in life, what's the point?

I have salt. Probably more than I should (but have never retained water from it), I drink tea and occasionally coffee, and I absolutely still have wine.

Oh and I got to goal weight months ago.
  • lucyford22
    lucyford22 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    When I was around 6 years old, I found a little packet of something at the bottom of a fast food bag. I asked my mom what it was and she answered, "That's salt..but don't use too much of it or you'll have a heart attack." Now, obviously that statement has a plethora of issues but it made me live most of my younger life in fear of the stuff. I'm now 25 and have learned to appreciate salt. I use it to enhance the flavors of what I am cooking. My boyfriend on the other hand, severed his olfactory nerve in a ATV accident and has no sense of smell anymore. He needs his food to have a ton of flavor in order to taste it. So he (before I met him) used a TON of salt on everything.

We met in the middle with coarse salt. Big flavor, use less. That's all I can really think of right away...hope that helps.
  • 2Bgoddess
    2Bgoddess Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    for sprinkley salt, i don't think there is.

for stuff I am cooking, I add low sodium soy sauce like "kinkkoman's. i put it in soups, stir fry, etc.
  • jody2807
    jody2807 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone , I do use kikkomans soy sauce in soups aswell ( but still add salt ) i am trying to substitute on salads with Anchovies thats not bad ,
    ffteale : if you have maged to reach your goal then there is hope for me Well done to you .
    And Lucyford : may be i needed a scare as a child hehe

Thanks everyone
  • irisheyes42us
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Mrs, Dash, is a good alternative
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    A woman I work with uses some sort of salt alternative, I think it's potassium based. Maybe look for it online? Also, my mom used to use something called "Spike"it was a spice mix, instead of salt.
  • LadyOfOceanBreeze
    LadyOfOceanBreeze Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone , I do use kikkomans soy sauce in soups aswell ( but still add salt ) i am trying to substitute on salads with Anchovies thats not bad ,
    ffteale : if you have maged to reach your goal then there is hope for me Well done to you .
    And Lucyford : may be i needed a scare as a child hehe

Thanks everyone

does it (salt) go well with eucalyptus leaf salad?:wink: cute profile pic:heart:
  • BobbyClerici
    BobbyClerici Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Ok so i admit it I am addicted to " SALT" I have been able to give up cigarettes , sugar , coffee , BUT not Salt , I even went to the movies with a friend of mine and ordered pop corn Ii did not want the pop corn I craved the salt . Iam cutting down slowly , but Iam looking for an alternative . IS THERE ONE ?:explode:
    I had to put the sodium battle off for a season.
    I no longer even salt my food and still go over.

I had no idea salt was in so much - even milk!

gotta crawl before walking...
  • frugalmomsrock
    Options
    I started the process of weaning off of salt a while back. I cut down slowly by reducing the salt in my recipes, first. Like, using the reduced sodium broth instead of regular. Then I started using half reduced sodium and half no sodium. I took salt shakers off the table. Other recipes were reduced by a half. If something called for a tsp, I'd use half a tsp.

I started using only half of a seasoning packet in those flavored things (mac n cheese-yep; I still buy it for the kids :-x flavored side noodles, etc.)

I used to consume about 4,000 mg (or more!!!) of sodium per day. I am now averaging between 1500 and 2000 mg. I can't get too much lower because of low blood pressure issues, but we don't need as much as we were getting...

I have a salt substitute I use for my sweet potato spread (I use smart balance, brown sugar, cinnamon, and a sprinkle of the salt substitute mixed together). http://www.mortonsalt.com/salt_guide/index.html << that's the brand I use.
  • Maryee71
    Maryee71 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    The thing is, if you don't have high blood pressure, kidney or heart problems you probably don't have to worry about your sodium. It's like most things, moderation is the key.
  • babynew
    babynew Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    You area not alone.So far,i only know to add Celery where
    You can,and Dulce flakes(they are a natural sea algae)
    And i have cut out most processed food.I hold water
    from the slightest.GoodLuck.
  • BarbWhite09
    BarbWhite09 Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    I've heard people say they use Mrs. Dash instead of salt. I've always had a weird fear of salt, so I've never had to look for alternatives.
  • jody2807
    jody2807 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Thankyou all I will look in to all the alternatives provided " wish me Luck " :wink:
  • futiledevices
    futiledevices Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I see this thing at the store all the time called "no salt".. I haven't tried it, but it looks the same. I guess it's just fake salt?