Lent

Options
So what has everyone given up for lent? I like being creative in my choices each year, so this time I gave up elevators! uh oh :-O

Replies

• YogaBooty
    Options
    So what has everyone given up for lent? I like being creative in my choices each year, so this time I gave up elevators! uh oh :-O
  • marisa0918
    Options
    I am going to give up a meal and whatever I save from not having to buy that meal I will take the money and buy groceries for the homeless shelter in my area. I am figuring about $5 a day so that would be $150 - $200 worth of groceries!
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Elevators? WOW. That IS inventive but a great sacrifice. Now, my question -- being a Baptist, without Lent being something I've learned from my church, nor having done this before in my life -- are you supposed to be focused on God while taking the stairs? (I am not trying to be funny.)

I am giving up Facebook. I got too wrapped up in that mess. Removing it will give me more clarity.
    I am going to start devoting 5 - 10 minutes to praying a night. I've gotten out of habit, so it will be shorter at first, growing more as I rediscover my relationship with God through prayer.
    I may also spend nightly time looking into/ studying for the LSAT. I want to go to law school.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Options
    I am going to give up a meal and whatever I save from not having to buy that meal I will take the money and buy groceries for the homeless shelter in my area. I am figuring about $5 a day so that would be $150 - $200 worth of groceries!

Holy cow.
    Amazingly wonderful.
    Very selfless and giving.
  • menjivas
    menjivas Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I'm giving up alcohol and using my new clarity to work on my communication skills.
  • kpnuts23
    kpnuts23 Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Im doing the typical - Give up all the bad stuff!! :grumble:

Soo... Im giving up Cakes (of any varity inc donuts, pasteries, Muffins.. cookies etc etc)
    Chocolate - All types - however if i get desperate - 70% Green and Blacks Choc is allowed sparingly!
    Sweets - pick n mix etc!!

So.. its gonna be tough, but will help with my weight!!

Its whole foods for me now!!

Weh hey!! :drinker:

Need all the help i can get!!

• mjj79
    mjj79 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    this is the first time i've actually done it in a long time. i'm giving up junk ( chips, sugar, chocolate). i'm a bit nervous b/c i'm not even going to allow myself the substitutes like sugar free pudding or ice cream. my "desserts" will be fruit or tea or coffee. good luck to all of you and please send "discipline thoughts" my way. :happy:
  • vernona
    Options
    Thanks for your very inspirational message ... I am of a different faith also so I don't know much about lent. Although I know that we fast in my faith which I have yet to do ... one day I hope to fast. I do think that is a wonderful plan to get back into prayer ... I too have gotten removed from my spiritual being with so much going on in my life. I want to get back to having my very own time with God pray, listen to God's word and read more. I used to be so dedicated and committed and it seemed like during those times nothing bothered me and everything was going well in my life. I can tell when I get off track because my life becomes a complete mess! take care and keep up the good work.
  • kleimola
    kleimola Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I am going to give up alcohol and read a book to my daughter every night.
  • Leigh14
    Leigh14 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    I was raised as a Presbyterian and we did not practice Lent. But, I am interested in starting it this year - it seems like a great idea to me! How long does it last?

I'd like to give up restaurant ethnic foods. I've found that I splurge at Mexican and Chinese restaurants the most. Now, I can still make my homemade Asian Noodle Salad (thanks ChubbyBunny!!) and be satisfied. :bigsmile: :drinker:
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    It lasts until Easter. I just asked my husband and he said he is giving up fish and aurugula :laugh: :laugh: (just a silly joke) I was talking about this with my coworkers yesterday. I usually give up things like alcohol, sweets, etc but I have a huge dilemma. I am going to Puerto Rico for 2 wks soon and I am already salivating for the pastries they make there...I dont get to go home too often. I also know there will be drinking...not that I need it but it is a social thing. I guess I can give it up...one thing I really should give up because it really would be a sacrifice for me is coffee. I sometimes think I am addicted to it. And I would also like to do something nice for someone. I have to reflect on that...good topic! :flowerforyou:
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Options
    Thanks for your very inspirational message ... I am of a different faith also so I don't know much about lent. Although I know that we fast in my faith which I have yet to do ... one day I hope to fast. I do think that is a wonderful plan to get back into prayer ... I too have gotten removed from my spiritual being with so much going on in my life. I want to get back to having my very own time with God pray, listen to God's word and read more. I used to be so dedicated and committed and it seemed like during those times nothing bothered me and everything was going well in my life. I can tell when I get off track because my life becomes a complete mess! take care and keep up the good work.

I'm with you, Lent has NOTHING to do with my Baptist upbringing.
    But the more I thought about it, participating in the Lenten period is more spiritual than denominational (just my opinion there.... not trying to spark any religious debates).
    I am using it to try to become more connected.

BTW, I have a friend who intends to fast for Lent.
    You could always do a sun up to sun down fast (similar to what is done during Ramadan-- hope I didn't misspell that). Or intend to fast one day a week.
  • nickybr38
    nickybr38 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I am not Catholic and have never participated in Lent before but this year my sister, who is a newly minted Catholic, asked me to give up processed sugar with her so that's what I'm doing. It's a challenge but it will be good for her to have someone to do this with and good for me in this eating healthier path.

But so far today I've discovered it's not easy!

I popped a piece of gum into my mouth without thinking and realized WHOA! PROCESSED SUGAR! So had to spit it out. AH! MINTY GOODNESS IS GONE.
  • margz85
    Options
    I am giving up FRENCH FRIES!!! or any type of Fried Potato... i did the alcohol thing but it gets me every St pAttys day!!..lol
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the same thing I do every year, giving up smoking and camel racing. It's surprisingly easy to give up both:huh:

Okay just kidding. I'm giving up refined sugar, and I'm working on being less grumpy with my family, I'm an out door person and in the winter I get grumpy. My next life I'm coming back as a bear so I can hibernate all winter long. I'm also doing the whole no meat on Friday thing and fasting on Fridays, but not a no food at all fast. I was told that on Fridays you should eat but the total of what you eat for the day should equal about what you would eat at a meal.