The BMI says I'm Obese o.O

Options
No way that thing is accurate.. or is it? Anyways I just joined up today at a starting weight at 226 and I'm trying to get down to 190 (which according to that BMI calculator is still overweight but we'll see).. definitely looking to join some groups and and give/receive support from anybody. I'm one of those guys who will buy the lowfat cookies but then eat the whole box, So I really wanna start keeping track of what I eat on here.

Also looking for any helpful tips/tricks in weight loss I have some really bad habits I need to break and looking for some good ones. Please PM me if you are starting out too and wanna be like weight loss buddies :) or if you've been on here a while and have some advise. Here are my starting pics I took about 10 minutes ago.

http://i1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd461/cbman2/day12.jpg
http://i1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd461/cbman2/day11.jpg

Replies

• Loudmom01
    Loudmom01 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Good luck meeting your goal. I dont look at the BMI because I am not sure how accurate it is either. At 167 lbs it said i was 1 percent away from being obese. 167 is only 32 pounds away from my high ideal weight so it doesnt make much sense to me. I pay attention to how my clothes fit more than anything and do not weigh at all. I need to get on the scale because I do not have an accurate start weight, just a rough estimate. Add me if you like.
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    No way that thing is accurate.. or is it? Anyways I just joined up today at a starting weight at 226 and I'm trying to get down to 190 (which according to that BMI calculator is still overweight but we'll see).. definitely looking to join some groups and and give/receive support from anybody. I'm one of those guys who will buy the lowfat cookies but then eat the whole box, So I really wanna start keeping track of what I eat on here.

Also looking for any helpful tips/tricks in weight loss I have some really bad habits I need to break and looking for some good ones. Please PM me if you are starting out too and wanna be like weight loss buddies :) or if you've been on here a while and have some advise. Here are my starting pics I took about 10 minutes ago.

day12.jpg
    day11.jpg
  • Rayman79
    Options
    First of all, no the BMI scale is far from accurate, you are clearly not obese. You have the same kind of shape as one of the progress pics of the fit2fat2fit trainer. Check him out online if you dont know who he is, his fit state ought to give you the motivation you need to keep on track ;)
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    The BMI is a flawed measurement - please don't be too discouraged. It is used by doctors/insurers etc as it is the cheapest and simplest way to correlate height and weight, but it really isn't overly accurate. If you have a look at the Health and Nutrition threads, lots of people have suggestions of other, more accurate measures, such as Body Fat Percentage. If I were to be in the BMI 'healthy' range for my height, I would be literally skin and bones - not so healthy, really. Good luck!
  • Bigplay691
    Bigplay691 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I started at 226 also and yeah I had some gut on me but never considered myself obese either. I set my goal for 195. Then I looked at the BMI and I supposedly need to be 184 just to get to the healthy range. So I plan on reaching my self set goal and see how I feel. If I feel I could lose some more then I will go the extra 11 pounds and be healthy. Sort of using it as a goal once I've reached my personal goal for motivation.
  • MrFatLegs
    MrFatLegs Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    First of all, no the BMI scale is far from accurate, you are clearly not obese. You have the same kind of shape as one of the progress pics of the fit2fat2fit trainer. Check him out online if you dont know who he is, his fit state ought to give you the motivation you need to keep on track ;)

Is that a group? I'll check it out
  • Rayman79
    Options
    If you google fit2fat2fit it should come up. It is a personal trainer who has decided to go to great lengths to be able to empathise with his clients, by not exercising and eating everything in sight for six months, then getting back to his old lifestyle and shedding the weight off again. Interesting to watch his transformation, I think he's just started on the weightloss portion to get back to his old shape.
  • rovernio
    rovernio Posts: 157
    Options
    dont look at bmi my bmi says im 29 so overweight, but i dont have lots of fat and my upper abs poke trough.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    The BMI scale called Arnold Schwarzenneger obese when he won the Mr. Olympia title. Yeah, it's not a good assessment.

Incidentally, it was invented as a way of classifying large populations in studies, and was never actually intended to be used to track individuals.
  • inspiredgardener
    Options
    Whew. I thought it was a bit harsh!
  • jaric01
    jaric01 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    BMI sucks...That's all you need to know on that topic :-)
  • kileykasper
    kileykasper Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    It says I'm obese too, I just had a baby about 4 months ago... I went from 125 to 210 in 10 months...I started using the app and I'm down to 169...I'm starting to feel a little more confident that ill lose it but I know I have a long journey.