how to stop mindless eating/snacking?

Options
i work in fast food 50 hours a week. It can get VERY stressful and I stress eat a lot!
How do I work on stopping this?

Replies

• gazz777
    gazz777 Posts: 722
    Options
    Bump.
  • LyriByri
    Options
    I drink water when I am in the mood for snacking. It has helped me.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Water does help. Have healthy stuff lying about so you can pick it up when snacky. And what works best for me is not to put anything in my mouth until I've logged it. Seeing the number of calories down there does make you evaluate whether you really, really want it.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    water and gum.
  • elcieloesazul
    elcieloesazul Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above about gum. I go through one pack in about a week, because of this. I also try to keep veggies in the house. Carrots are great (about 35 calories a raw serving). The mindless part, however, seems like something emotional to address. I know that whenever I watch TV, I'm usually bored and antsy. This leads me to take the walk of shame to the pantry. Try to notice when cravings for snacks are triggered and try to remove yourself from the situation. Being away from the house helps me a lot because there's no opportunity to grab and eat something I'm not actually hungry for.
  • PetersonMatthew
    Options
    I always had water by my side and had it when i felt hungry. and if you have to snack have some fresh veggies with you. Green beans or cherry tomatoes are some of my fav.
  • balancebean
    balancebean Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I am a compulsive overeater. I have done the following things to end that vicious cycle: 1) Only eat at specific times. 2) Avoid white flour and white sugar. 3) Avoid eating trigger foods and trigger time periods. Hope that helps.
  • lovinbutterflys
    lovinbutterflys Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I say think twice. It is so easy to grab the first thing but before you pop that bad food choice in your mouth think twice. "Everything is Permissible but not Beneficial". You can have that bad food choice but will it benefit you in anyway......? I doubt it will except make you feel bad for eating it. I also have a stash of almonds around everywhere. I even keep a can in my purse! lol I also like to carry a few peppermint candy with me. The fresh taste of peppermint in your mouth makes you alittlle less likely to eat something bad. But I believe my best advice is to always think twice! Rachel
  • cartea01
    cartea01 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    That's a great piece of advice about logging it first! I do that! Tonight I was thinking about take out but after seeing the number of calories, I came home and made an omelette instead!
  • MelanieAG05
    MelanieAG05 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    chew gum and drink water or tea
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    Fizzy water, and keeping healthy snacks on hand. Good luck!
  • aaleigha1
    aaleigha1 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I have been using 'the beck diet solution' and before the diet police arrive may I just say she used the word not in the restrictive sense but in the sense of what is eaten

Beck is not a diet per se but helps you learn the techniques of sticking with your chosen plan - the psychosocial aspects to help you chosen plan work for you
    it deals with how not to over eat how to not eat mindlessly how to deal with food pushers )you know the well meaning that want to share with you)
    I have lost one pound a week since using the plan - might not seem much but for some one who is 54 and inactive due to health problems let me tell you its a lot of weight for me to drop so consistently

message me if you want to no more and I can give you a better outline
    I have done the 6 week plan and I intend to start again at week one day on the beginning of january as a refresher :)
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    I keep a big filled water bottle and a pack of minty gum on hand at all times.
  • pupcamper
    pupcamper Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Gum makes me hungry! I try to drink 8-10 glasses of water everyday throughout the day and this helps, I also have drastically reduced the amount of processed sugar/flour/bad carby stuff in what I eat - this has been amazing for me, if I don't eat much of it I don't want more of it and it totally takes away my desire to eat all that stuff which I used to eat to excess!
  • PennyNickel14
    PennyNickel14 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Have you thought about yoga or meditation....

One of my MPF friends always says "if hunger is not the problem, food is not the solution".

I am a stress eater and am working on it :)!!
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Create snacks the night before and stick to them!
    Nuts:
    1/8 cup of almonds
    1/8 cup of pistachios
    160 calories.

Baby carrots! 30calories a serving and very filling!
    Celery sticks with laughing cow cheese! Appx 70calories per 4 sticks!

1/4 of a cadbury dark chocolate bar. 200calories!

Pretzel thins and hummus! Sabra makes a snack pack BTW. 160calories!

Newton Thins by Fig Newtons! 3 cookies 140calories.

You can fit a lot of these into your daily intake if you are in the 1600 calorie range.

Sargento cheese sticks 70calories a stick!
  • MJ7910
    MJ7910 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    honestly this is what i do... it's pretty intense.

i consciously and sometimes out loud say to myself "I am going to stop eating this after a bite"... or i'll say "I am not going to eat this"... i will seriously look at myself in the mirror while i say it... it keeps me honest... i know it sounds a little nuts but it works.

just remember - Eating is always a decision, nobody forces your hand to pick up food and put it into your mouth." - Albert Ellis

Keep yourself accountable to yourself. Log those calories... think about it... by not thinking about snacking we give ourselves permission to over indulge. one is ok. 12 is not.

get some good mantras for yourself. write them down. say them (in the mirror if possible). remember you are trying to be healthy and good to yourself. you are taking good care of yourself by not letting yourself overindulge.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Acquire Willpower...
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Do some relaxation breathing exercises or something during work to calm you down. Stress is a diet killer.

Also, don't believe that you CAN'T control anything. You can, but you are making choices not to.
  • Shanna_Inc86
    Shanna_Inc86 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Acquire Willpower...

Says the faceless 6 pack :laugh:

Gum, tea, water...

Maybe its a bad habit but I use to snap a rubber band on my wrist everytime I'd reach for junk....really started to hurt