How do you deal with the fake hungry feelings?

Options
This is probably more of a question for the girls here but I find during my period that my cramps feel very similar to how I feel when I'm hungry. Which tends to make me be constantly reaching for food. I know I'm not hungry (because I ate the same breakfast I eat every other day and I'm not hungry then).

I just joined 2 and 1/2 weeks ago and this has been my first hard week, between Christmas and this it has been hard to not overeat every day. Especially with so much chocolate around which of course I'm craving right now.

Replies

• EddieG77
    EddieG77 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Not a girl but I have been trying to get into the habit of drinking lots of water when I feel that way.....give it a try!!

Enjoy your holidays!
    Ed
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    You might need a little bit more food on your period. (lady here but mine are so irregular I have no idea what they do)

Try a glass of water. If that doesn't work have something filling but low cal like almonds, carrots, celery and so on. You might find you need that little bit extra when TOM hits.
  • KC4800
    KC4800 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Not a girl either, but agree with the water. If it sounds unappealing, just add a little lemon juice. Put it on ice, and drink it through a straw. Best way I know of to consume water, and I was ordered to drink more from my doctor because of two bouts of kidney stones. Trust me, I know how to drink water when I don't want to. ;-)
  • lessac
    lessac Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    This is probably more of a question for the girls here but I find during my period that my cramps feel very similar to how I feel when I'm hungry. Which tends to make me be constantly reaching for food. I know I'm not hungry (because I ate the same breakfast I eat every other day and I'm not hungry then).

I just joined 2 and 1/2 weeks ago and this has been my first hard week, between Christmas and this it has been hard to not overeat every day. Especially with so much chocolate around which of course I'm craving right now.

Based on my experience of 16 years, I never had a problem with indulging in chocolate for the first day of my period but on that day I don't have much appetite for anything else so I think that evens out.

Water never ever worked for me so I prefer brushing my teeth for a good 5 minutes, drinking mineral water (sparkling water) and eating hot food when I feel like having strong sugar cravings.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    If you are eating the right amount of calories and protein you shouldnt be hungry.
    In the beginning its a good idea to have 5-6 meals a day with the last one before bed.
    Get in that protein and complex carbs and you should be fine.
    If your MFP set your calorie goal as 1200 you may want to change it since most 1200s fail due to hunger issues!
    Its best to create a good caloric deficit through hard training like weights and aerobic activity.

If you are eating 1600 calories a day then run for 20mins high speed thats appx 200 calories burned then you lift weights later for 30 mins for an additional 100-150calories burned...

You get my point?
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    I simply chew gum.
  • Deedee0075
    Deedee0075 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    i can't control it at all. on day 1, i find myself wanting to eat right after i've finished eating. i don't fight it anymore - it's just one day out of the month and there is NOTHING that i can do to stop it.
  • zenchild
    zenchild Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I take Excedrin to help with the cramps (and the headache, and the fatigue, and the general ickiness). Some have better luck with Midol. I also love tea with cocoa nibs. When the weather is cold I drink Tazo Focus every afternoon. The warmth also helps with the cramps. It's been disgustingly warm in Georgia so I've had coconut La Croix instead (fizzy water with coconut flavor, all natural, no sweetener). Both will help with the sweet cravings. I work in an office and our break room is filled with sweets from our vendors. I'm still human so I will allow myself a taste every afternoon. A small piece of chocolate won't derail your whole effort. Trying to deny yourself will.

And guys, this is an entirely different kind of crampy/hungry feeling. Trust me. I've had both. This whole week is marked by a deep, consuming NEED for chocolate, meat and salt. And a desire to destroy anyone who ventures too close. We try not to be nasty (at least I do). But it's hard when our hormones are going nuts and telling us to KILL.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    As the army says, "Take some motrin. Drink some water."
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Um, by not eating???

If you know you're not actually hungry, then why would you eat? Isn't that (at least in part) what got you to join a site like this in the first place?

As for the hard week and the holidays... we all have rough patches, and we all have temptation. Do the best you can, then do better next week. Most people don't wake up one morning living a totally different lifestyle. It takes work and patience and more work. Buck up, be honest with yourself and don't make excuses.
  • OLFATUG
    OLFATUG Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    When I'm hungry and it's not time for a scheduled meal (yeah... I schedule, OCD -=shrug=-) I drink water or black coffee. Coffee has almost no calories and I always opt for decaf. It has a strange side effect of making my stomach feel smaller.
  • LauraRose03
    Options
    i can't control it at all. on day 1, i find myself wanting to eat right after i've finished eating. i don't fight it anymore - it's just one day out of the month and there is NOTHING that i can do to stop it.

I agree and I do the same thing. Listen to your body and be gentle with yourself. It's already an emotional time of the month, so it's ok to indulge for one or two days. During my TOM, I pamper myself, in any way, guilt-free. You'll work it off later!
  • meli_medina
    meli_medina Posts: 594 Member
    Options

I agree and I do the same thing. Listen to your body and be gentle with yourself. It's already an emotional time of the month, so it's ok to indulge for one or two days. During my TOM, I pamper myself, in any way, guilt-free. You'll work it off later!

I'm the same. And another reason I don't worry too much is because I usually seem to indulge exactly a portion of calories over (around 700-900) and then I'm done. The reason I don't fret it is because a) our bodies naturally use more calories during this time, so of course it is going to be hungrier than normal (due to increased blood flow and hormone changes, your body burns up to 200-300 more calories per day, that number especially true on CD1), b) our bodies require a higher iron intake at that time as well, especially if your iron is normally low, and c) one day out of the month of eating isn't going to completely reverse 29 other days of good eating. This doesn't mean that you should go cart blanche and down 5 or 6 king size Snicker bars, but your body generally doesn't get "fake hungry." If you're finding that you're having a hard time with your willpower, it's because you probably really ARE hungry and, if you are craving something in particular, I recommend obtaining a single serving of that item (for me, it's usually Magnum Caramel bars, so I go to Walgreens and buy a single rather than a whole box so I have to stop at one), otherwise you may find it will lead you to a binge.

Of course, I'm referring to what works for me. If your willpower is that strong, more power to you, but there is nothing wrong with having a handful of Hershey's kisses or whatever if you are craving chocolate. Just don't eat the whole bag. :)
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    Have you tried fake eating?
    Remember that scene in "Hook", with the Lost Boys?
  • duchess_natas
    duchess_natas Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Have you tried fake eating?
    Remember that scene in "Hook", with the Lost Boys?

I love that movie. With one happy thought you can fly!!!! And a fake food fight. Let's all have a fake food fight while we are fake eating. Just like the Lost Boys.
  • lessac
    Options
    I love the know-it-all comments by males about this problem. It's either a) they're too ignorant for their own sake or b) male PMS is a very common medical condition so they can relate.
  • CaptainGordo
    Options
    I love the know-it-all comments by males about this problem. It's either a) they're too ignorant for their own sake or b) male PMS is a very common medical condition so they can relate.
    Yeah, men cannot grasp the topic. This is why there are no male gynecologists. You can't learn about a topic unless you have lived it yourself. This is also why only cavemen make good anthropologists.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Um, by not eating???

If you know you're not actually hungry, then why would you eat? Isn't that (at least in part) what got you to join a site like this in the first place?

As for the hard week and the holidays... we all have rough patches, and we all have temptation. Do the best you can, then do better next week. Most people don't wake up one morning living a totally different lifestyle. It takes work and patience and more work. Buck up, be honest with yourself and don't make excuses.
    Must be nice to be a robot.
  • lessac
    Options
    Yeah, men cannot grasp the topic. This is why there are no male gynecologists. You can't learn about a topic unless you have lived it yourself. This is also why only cavemen make good anthropologists.

It makes so much sense to compare a medical branch such as gynecology to a feeling caused by hormones. How does learning about female reproductive system which is a solid scientific fact, for which you do not need to grow a pair of ovaries, compare to commenting on a cravin, a completely subjective and individual feeling which is not experienced by males, moreover telling the woman to suck it up? I'm thrilled by the similarities.
  • CaptainGordo
    Options
    It makes so much sense to compare a medical branch such as gynecology to a feeling caused by hormones. How does learning about female reproductive system which is a solid scientific fact, for which you do not need to grow a pair of ovaries, compare to commenting on a cravin, a completely subjective and individual feeling which is not experienced by males, moreover telling the woman to suck it up? I'm thrilled by the similarities.
    OK, so only someone that has experienced the cravings and/or feelings involved could possibly understand or offer any sort of help? Got it. That is why only addicts can help recovering addicts, for example. :indifferent:

Who told her to "suck it up"?