Weight Lifting & Increasing Daily Calorie Goals

(I posted this in a group discussion as well, but just wanted to see if anyone else had other advice)

I recently started reading "The New Rules of Lifting For Women" and wanted to give the workouts a shot. I havent read it all the way through just yet so I figure I will begin the workouts around the first of the year...I am (obviously) looking to get into lifting to gain some lean muscle and to tone up, but I also still need to lose about 10-15 pounds or so.

I just read a section about calculating the daily calorie goals for workout days and non-workout days and I have a couple questions... Based on the fact that I would like to lose weight - MFP set my calorie goal at 1200 a day. But based on the calculations in NROLFW, I should be eating approximately 1950 calories on non-workout days and 2210 on workout days!

Obviously this is a huge difference from what I've been doing, but I really want to follow this plan correctly, so I'm just wondering (for those who had to) how you all adjusted your calorie ranges? I think I can figure out how to physically change my goals in my food diary, but I was more curious - did you guys just change the goal and make the jump all at once in one day? or did you gradually up you calorie intake over a few days?

Also how did upping your calorie range work for you? results?

Any advice, suggestions, tips, or just general comments would help!!