Christmas tipping...

Options
GorillaNJ
GorillaNJ Posts: 4,051 Member
It is that time of year... time to hand out some tips and little gifts to the people in and around your life. An extra $10 to the barber and the paper delivery guy a thing of cookies for the mailman, some candy for the secretary...

Do you tip at the gym? I understand if you have a personal trainer, you throw them a couple extra bucks... but my gym has a kiddie center. That thing is great... I can drop off my boys for an hour or so and a couple of girls watch them. This costs me an extra $5 a month to my membership...and makes all the difference in the world as to me getting to work out.

I want to give them something, but it is like 6 different girls who normally are watching the room, so I do not think money is appropriate to give to just the two who happen to work tonight.... What should I give? Box of chocolates? Does not seem appropriate at a gym, and I would not want kids getting all the candies and not the girls who work there....

Ideas?

Do you step up the tipping at Christmas time?

Replies

• 65PONY
    65PONY Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    $5 dollar Starbucks gift cards with a note of thanks would do the trick...Give them to the gym manager to make sure they all get theirs...Happy Holidays!
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    ohhhh thats great of you! I always give as much as I can this time of year - my BF is starting to shake his head at me becasue i always INSIST on giving money to the salvation army bell ringers no matter how many stores we have just been to before. I even hit the ATM when I run out of cash to give.

I would think a box of chocolats is good, or maybe a little gift basket full of random stuff. Candy, chocolates, fuzzy socks, lotion, whatever and let the girls split ut up themselves. what nice idea :)
  • josavage
    josavage Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I only tipped my trainer at the gym. If my child was going to daycare there, I would tip the workers. You could get a card with some cash for each of the girls and give it to them as you see them. Instead of cash you could do gift cards to Ulta or a coffee shop.
  • dianeellen2
    dianeellen2 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Maybe a box/basket of small (sample sizes) of beauty/bath/shower products that they can distribute and share between themselves (all girls like a bit of a pamper)

Diane
  • marindak
    marindak Posts: 168
    Options
    What about a fruit or veggie tray for them all to enjoy over the next couple days, that way theres more of a chance for them all to enjoy it. Or anything like that. It's a great idea, I always try to tip when I can for things like this.
  • MJ7910
    MJ7910 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    depends on what kind of gym. if you have a trainer, i absolutely would give them something. if it's just a corporate type gym or one of those big gyms with a big name, and you don't deal with anyone specifically, i wouldn't bother. just depends on whther anyone actually gives you individual attention or not, in my opinion.
  • Hungry_Tuna
    Hungry_Tuna Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    That's so sweet of you! Perhaps what others have suggested, put together a nice little basket of goodies. I think some Tazo teas, maybe a few mugs, or Starbucks via packets too... and some cheese and crackers maybe? (Instead of cookies and chocolate).
  • jsuaccounting
    jsuaccounting Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I gave my trainer of 6 months what amounted to $2 per session ($100), I think 65Pony's $5 dollar Starbucks card for each idea is a good. Ask the manager their names (if you don't remember) to address the cards - I think it is cute to put your childrens names as the givers.
  • SeaSiren1
    SeaSiren1 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    $5 dollar Starbucks gift cards with a note of thanks would do the trick...Give them to the gym manager to make sure they all get theirs...Happy Holidays!

This is a great idea.
  • ShaeDetermined
    ShaeDetermined Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    As a member of 2 gyms that both CLOSED their childcare centers I thoroughly appreciate the concept.

I think a small gift certificate to dunkin donuts for each, or something that they would all enjoy while working at the center: an ipod docking station, etc.
  • swatts7622
    swatts7622 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Our gym doesnt have child care BUT... it is free.. perks of being military afficiated I guess... ( we aren't military though haha)... Our gym is also open 24/7 including CHRISTMAS and other major holidays... I was kinda shocked, feel bad for the people taht will have to work that day, its an even mix of soldiers and local nationals... I was going to take something up there sometime durning the christmas day but not sure what yet. I was thinking cupcakes... but yea its a gym.... Dunno yet!
  • LadyKT
    LadyKT Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    If they're teenage-ish, I'd say $10 to Bath & Body Works. That's nice that you are thinking of them too!!
  • sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    Get one of those fancy fruit bouquets - healthy, beautiful, and you can even get some of the fruit chocolate dipped! That way they can leave it in the room and snack on it for a few days!
  • Nomomush
    Nomomush Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Bring them gourmet cupcakes, chocolate covered strawberries, or cookies and they can eat it later or during a break.
  • AwesomelyAmber
    AwesomelyAmber Posts: 1,617 Member
    Options
    I love the body/bath idea and the fruit basket idea... either one would be great! Especially since you need to do for 6+ girls!!!
  • asyouseefit
    asyouseefit Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    I gave a bath/body basket to the girls at the daycare. :)
  • Solomonre0
    Solomonre0 Posts: 143 Member
    Options

Yes! Having worked in childcare I know that Starbucks gift cards were the most sought out Christmas presents :)
  • Solomonre0
    Solomonre0 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    No offense to anyone's intentions but if I got bath products from a man who I was not dating or related to I would be slightly sketched out...
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    At our cafe - where I daily get loved on by the staff - i write the owner and get each employee's name and put a $5 gift card in an envelope to each of them.
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,051 Member
    Options
    I went with the $5 starbucks cards... they loved them! Thanks for the idea