How bad is your tax rate where YOU live ??

Options
Just got my last pay stub of the year. One more weeks' pay still to come but we're paid bi-weekly. So I'm looking at the income tax I paid and wondering what kind of percentage income tax is paid in other places around the globe.

What say you?

Replies

• Vipecap
    Vipecap Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Personal Income tax is generally higher, sometimes a lot higher, in most other countries like European countries. I think only Switzerland has a lower income tax than we do of the of the larger economies.
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options
    Just shy of 7% income,a 7% sales tax plus county and school district property taxes...all combined with federal easily half or more of gross pay.
  • scarletleavy
    scarletleavy Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    I pay close to 40%, but I'm not complaining.

+ 19% VAT
  • MarieAnneN
    Options
    Reaalllly bad, I live in Québec!

45% of income directly on the pay.
    14.75% taxes on goods and services after.
    + special taxes added to new cars and tires and all sort of ****.

Total of 60% of taxes here. Nice!
  • syiyi
    syiyi Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    10.25% :(
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    First off, I'm a tax accountant soooo without taxes I'd have to learn a new profession LOL

But I agree that when I look at what my gross pay is and then at my net pay... Well, I think those numbers should be a little closer in value. BUT, at least I have a job to pay taxes with. :-)
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    20% basic-rate income tax, rising to 40% very fast, and 50% not much further along, 20% VAT (sales) tax, National Insurance contributions (mandatory), plus council tax (local). Similarly adds up to about 50% of income if you're paying basic rate income tax, and a lot more than that if you're at a higher level.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    25% of my check goes to the government. My poor dad has nearly 50% of his going.

It's sad when people are ok with the government taking THAT much of what they earn in their jobs.
  • MarieAnneN
    Options
    25% of my check goes to the government. My poor dad has nearly 50% of his going.

It's sad when people are ok with the government taking THAT much of what they earn in their jobs.

The thing is, I don't mind to give that much if it comes back in services. We have free medical and school does not cost much here compared to the USA. BUT, it is for everybody so be prepared to wait or go to private and pay extra.
  • cruiseking
    cruiseking Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    In the U.S. it is gratuated according to earnings; less deductions. Half of Americans pay zero percent income tax. Mind you they may not be wage earners; nevertheless half pay zero. I would say that most "average" households with incomes less than $100,000 in income, and some deductions (Children, charitable giving, interest on mortgage, etc.) probably pay an "effective" tax rate of around 15% give or take. With no deductions, (just the standard) probably less than 25%. This is on the Federal Level. Then some States have an income tax (3%-8% probably), then there are State sales tax in most States (3%-8% again), and I believe NYC has a City income tax. Then add property taxes, which vary widely, state to state, city to city. Then add Social Security tax. Man I gotta stop, this is depressing..............
  • scarletleavy
    scarletleavy Posts: 841 Member
    Options

Yeah I totally disagree, but then again I don't live in America. I'm happy to pay my taxes even though they are high, in fact I'm actually considering moving to an even higher tax country in the next few years. I have a wonderful quality of life here and there's a price for it, a price I have no problem paying. I have great medical care, my community is safe and well-taken care of in terms of services, our roads and bridges are in good condition, I have access to an excellent public transport system, I could probably go on and on.
  • nurse_chris
    Options
    LOL, i knew as soon as i saw this thread it was started by a fellow Canadian! Especially someone from the province of Ontario....
    Our tax is ridiculous.
  • livinginwoods
    livinginwoods Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Well, I don't know. Honestly. I started working for the Federal Govt. this year and they don't take out fed or state taxes so I am guessing I am paying in this year, which is fine. I also had unemployment for the first 6 months of the year so I am also going to pay on that. I am going to have to hire someone this year to do my taxes, I am not good with this stuff and my husband doesn't have time to do mine since his take forever because of his business.
  • dakitten2
    dakitten2 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Our state's local sales tax is 6 percent. (Kentucky)

Before I retired, approximately 55% was deducted from my gross amount including federal tax, state tax, social security and retirement benefits.

To be honest, I'm not sure of the percentage now that I'm retired. I only have to pay federal tax on retirement dollars above $41,100. I have to pay state tax on the full amount. Also car licensing every year includes city/county taxes.

Just know I'll be paying for the rest of my life. LOL
  • EmpressOfJudgment
    EmpressOfJudgment Posts: 1,162 Member
    Options
    I don't remember. But our sales tax, however, is the highest in the country at 9.75%. That doesn't include the outrageous extra liquor tax and amusement tax. Yes, we are taxed for having fun here in Chicago.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    LOL, i knew as soon as i saw this thread it was started by a fellow Canadian! Especially someone from the province of Ontario....
    Our tax is ridiculous.

Ah , try Quebec!!!
  • cruiseking
    cruiseking Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    After reading how high some taxes are; I just think it is morally wrong, on any level to have more than 50% of a person's income confiscated by any government. If people got their check with no deductions taken out, then had to go pay in cash at a tax office, I think things would be different. Imagine this: Here's your $1500 check, now go give $900 of it to that nice man over there. That my friends is a 60% tax rate. You just earned $1500, and you have $600 left. That just feels icky.
  • EmpressOfJudgment
    EmpressOfJudgment Posts: 1,162 Member
    Options

Yeah I totally disagree, but then again I don't live in America. I'm happy to pay my taxes even though they are high, in fact I'm actually considering moving to an even higher tax country in the next few years. I have a wonderful quality of life here and there's a price for it, a price I have no problem paying. I have great medical care, my community is safe and well-taken care of in terms of services, our roads and bridges are in good condition, I have access to an excellent public transport system, I could probably go on and on.
    This is why America is struggling right now. People look at it as the government taking from them, instead of looking at it is an investment into their quality of life. We are afraid of socialized anything. We don't want "lazy welfare people" to benefit from our hard work. The false belief that the American Dream of working hard and getting rich is still attainable prevents people from wanting to put a higher tax on the rich and force wealthy corporations sitting on huge profits to pay their share of taxes and better distribute the country's wealth. Instead, the middle class carries the tax burden and more and more people are falling into poverty.
  • ShaeDetermined
    ShaeDetermined Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    I may make some of u feel better...

My husband and I file jointly, and even with 5 dependents, between state, city (yes, good old New York City) and federal income tax.......our total taxes are 58%!!!
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options

This is why America is struggling right now. People look at it as the government taking from them, instead of looking at it is an investment into their quality of life. We are afraid of socialized anything. We don't want "lazy welfare people" to benefit from our hard work. The false belief that the American Dream of working hard and getting rich is still attainable prevents people from wanting to put a higher tax on the rich and force wealthy corporations sitting on huge profits to pay their share of taxes and better distribute the country's wealth. Instead, the middle class carries the tax burden and more and more people are falling into poverty.

I think the problem falls in looking at it as "the country's wealth." It is NOT the country's wealth. It is the man who worked his butt off and saved so he could invests "wealth." The Rich man in the US pays his fair share of taxes. He already paid tax on the money that he has invested when he earned it from his job. He then pays a smaller percentage of tax on the interest/dividends/etc. that he earns from investing that money. The people in the country who pay no tax at all are not the super rich.

The easiest solution would be a flat tax. Everyone pays 15% of their income (income, not just wages) in taxes. No one has $0 in tax liability. That would be "fair."